mtbr member

New question here. Reign 2 or Trance X3

I think I'm going with one of these two bikes. The prices are very close but I want the best overall bike... Is the Reign going to be heavier than the Trance? What about the components? Is Deore or SLX better? They both have the SRAM X7 rear derailleur.

Anyone have experience with both?

Input?

Control Freak
    Yes I have owned both. Currently have a giant Reign...and got rid of my trance. Depends on what kind of riding you are going to be doing. I like the reign over the trance but I like the different angle in front and like how it descends...

Trance I felt too top heavy on it...

mtbr member
    Depends on what kind of riding your going to be doing... Look around at what others are riding on your local trails or wherever your going to be riding... If u dont see a lot of 6in travel bikes, go with the Trance... If your going to be doing a significant amount of climbing, get the Trance... Trance can take pretty much anything you throw at it up to 8 foot drops which most Trance owners dont have such drops on their local trails... I have a X2 and its perfect for my kind of riding... I call it aggressive trail riding.. I hit drops up to 4 1/2ft(because thats whats offered on my states trails) climb quite a bit, hit some natural and wooden jumps and transfers and it soaks it up... Depends on where you live really..

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by MaddSkillz View Post
    I think I'm going with one of these two bikes. The prices are very close but I want the best overall bike... Is the Reign going to be heavier than the Trance? What about the components? Is Deore or SLX better? They both have the SRAM X7 rear derailleur.

Anyone have experience with both?

Input?
    Just noticed your from Tulsa and that aint too far from me... If its going to be your only bike, get the Trance.. You wont regret it. If you already have a XC bike and need another, more aggressive bike, get the Reign(just remember, the Reign is not as good a climber).. I chose the Trance because its my everyday bike and is aggressive enough for my local trails... Northwest Arkansas and Western Arkansas...

mtbr member
    You should test ride both bikes if you can as i had to make the same decision & went with the Reign 2011. I found the Reign to a lot more playful & fun.Its climbs great for a 6'' bike not as good a the trance but shits all over the trance when it comes to descending, drops & jumps. If your riding is full on XC with long climbs then the Trance would be best but for all mountain confidence the Reign is a true do it all bike from light trail to light downhill it will get you through some tough situations.
    Life's too short to be soft

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by jb2011 View Post
    You should test ride both bikes if you can as i had to make the same decision & went with the Reign 2011. I found the Reign to a lot more playful & fun.Its climbs great for a 6'' bike not as good a the trance but shits all over the trance when it comes to descending, drops & jumps. If your riding is full on XC with long climbs then the Trance would be best but for all mountain confidence the Reign is a true do it all bike from light trail to light downhill it will get you through some tough situations.
    Im sure that in Austrailia u have some decent mountains with the type of terrain the Reign excels on, however, in the Middle US, in places like Tulsa or NWA, Reign would be a little overkill.. IMHO... Wish it wasnt. That would mean our riding would be a bit gnarlier.

mtbr member
    chadalex, you've helped me out a lot... The local shop told me last night that the Reign would be too much for the type of riding here. So I'm leaning towards the Trance now. I think it'll be perfect. SWEET! I can't wait!

I plan on hitting the trails for the first time this weekend with one of their Trance rentals. It's gonna be awesome.

BTW, I'm currently a Road Racer looking to get into other forms of riding/racing just to keep things interesting. I was a BMX machine back in the day. Rad was my favorite movie. But it's been a long time since I've even bunny hopped a bike. I hope I pick it back up rather quickly.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by MaddSkillz View Post
    chadalex, you've helped me out a lot... The local shop told me last night that the Reign would be too much for the type of riding here. So I'm leaning towards the Trance now. I think it'll be perfect. SWEET! I can't wait!

I plan on hitting the trails for the first time this weekend with one of their Trance rentals. It's gonna be awesome.

BTW, I'm currently a Road Racer looking to get into other forms of riding/racing just to keep things interesting. I was a BMX machine back in the day. Rad was my favorite movie. But it's been a long time since I've even bunny hopped a bike. I hope I pick it back up rather quickly.
    Youll pick it easy... Its like... Well... Like riding a bike.. Youll love your Trance dude!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by chadalex78 View Post
    Youll pick it easy... Its like... Well... Like riding a bike.. Youll love your Trance dude!
    Awesome. Can't wait!

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    I have a Reign, it's my only bike currently. It might not be the best climber out there but it does reasonably well. Definitely worth it once it gets pointed downhill

mtbr member
    U got to have mountains to point downhill...

mtbr member
    Yeah, unfortunately we don't have those around here. We call big hills "mountains" out of desperation. They're grass covered hills, not mountains. heh

mtbr member
    May 2012
    I had the same dilema recently when buying a new bike. I test rode both just a little, did some research online. Basically everything I read and heard from talking to people is you won't regret purchasing either of those bikes. I ended up getting the Reign as I live in an area with lots of big mountains, and yes it's a little crappier climbing up but when you turn around and come back down it's all worth it. You'll be happy with either bike though.

bacon! bacon! bacon!
    I'd agree to go with the Trance-X given your location. 6" bike is probably really overkill for your area, no?