Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Reign 2 Off Road 1st Impressions

2K views 15 replies 8 participants last post by  Max99 
#1 ·
Rode off road today with my new Reign 2. One of the best rides I've ever had. We rode at Alafia River State Park which is south of Tampa. These trails are considered some of the most technical trails in Florida, so I figured it would be a good way to test out the new ride. All I can say is WOW!! Well, actually, I can say a bit more.

First, let me say that I've been riding a 2004 VT3 since July, put about 1400 miles on it, so I had a bike I already loved to compare the Reign to.

Maestro suspension seems to be all that it is billed as. It was plush, and I mean really plush. Sucked up bumps on both climbs and drops with no problems. On a few climbs, I stood in the saddle and hammered, just to see how it would handle, and there was very little noticeable bob. Also, seated on climbs, the thing flew up the steep stuff. The VT is actually lighter than the Reign and I was a bit worried about climbing with it, but it actually did better for me than the VT.

On the drops, it was awesome. The drops on these trails are pretty much all very large palmetto and oak roots and lots of rocks. I flew down things that I would have hesitated on the VT. There is one section of whoop-de-doos that I always had some issues with, but on the Reign, I had no problems at all.

The brakes are very responsive. The Nixon fork is unbelievable, it was really firm, noticed no flex at all. The drivetrain was smooth as butter, although I did have a few laughs getting used to the Rapid Rise XT rear derr., as I was coming from a regular XT, so everything was backward. Stalled on a few steep climbs when I ended up shifting up instead of down....good for a chuckle.

The geometry is really comfortable. We rode for about 3 hours and I didn't feel like I was getting used to a new bike, but rather like I was riding an old friend.

Well, 3 hours isn't enough to really know everything, but it was enough to let me know I made a good choice buying the Reign. I've got another 3 hour ride planned tomorrow up at Santos, so I'll get another chance to put it through it's paces.

A few photos below (my buddy who had the camera isn't a Georgia O'Keefe or Ansel Adams, so be gentle)

See less See more
#2 ·
The reign 3 is one of the bikes I am looking to purchase soon. Hearing about your R2 will help a lot. My biggest question was how it would climb and your post helps. Let me us all know how your ride goes tomorrow and I''l stay tuned. Since the 2005 bike reviews aren't up yet your word all I have to go on. Thanks

#3 ·
Another great ride today. Was up really late last night, so I bailed on the 90 min drive to Santos and instead went back to Alafia. 2nd ride even better than the first. I still am amazed how well I can climb on the Reign, even though it is heavier than the VT. Made many climbs that I used to have to really work for with very little effort. All in all, loving it!!

#4 ·
Glad to hear the new bikes going so sweet Max, makes my decission to go with the Trance3 (unseen or riden) less worrisome. Really glad to hear the new Maestro suspesion design is living up to it's billings.

Never new they actually had hills in Florida :D :D trails look nice.

#5 · (Edited)
Max99 said:
Another great ride today. Was up really late last night, so I bailed on the 90 min drive to Santos and instead went back to Alafia. 2nd ride even better than the first. I still am amazed how well I can climb on the Reign, even though it is heavier than the VT. Made many climbs that I used to have to really work for with very little effort. All in all, loving it!!

Hey Max99 are those "Vertical Protection's" that your Reign is wearing? Nice choice. Gotta love Conti tires.

#6 ·
j.king said:
Hey Max99 are those "Vertical Protection's" that your Reign is wearing? Nice choice. Gotta love Conti tires.
Yes indeed they are. They are great tires! Rode them in the mountains a few weeks ago and they ruled. Ride there here at home and they still rule!! They are also a lot lighter than the stock Bulldogs.

#9 ·
Currently I have Conti Explorer and Escape's on it, but soon to be a set of either the Vertical's or the Gravity Pro's.

Neither are incredibly light but both hook up in just about any conditions. I've used the Vertical's in sand, hardpack, mud, rock, they work great everywhere.

I haven't tried the Gravity's yet, but I'm headed out west in Feb., so I thought I'd try some new tires while I have the chance. Both tires are in the 500-650 gram range per tire, but don't quote me on it, I choose parts based on function, I've never been concerned with weight.

#15 ·
Max99 said:
I still am amazed how well I can climb on the Reign, even though it is heavier than the VT. Made many climbs that I used to have to really work for with very little effort. All in all, loving it!!
I don't seem to believe that. Most people said the VT climbed great. The reign is heavier. Why is it so much better? There has got to be at least a little "new bike hype" involved. I am not disagreeing, i have not rode either, I am just surprised to hear you say it is so much better.

#16 ·
rkj__ said:
I don't seem to believe that. Most people said the VT climbed great. The reign is heavier. Why is it so much better? There has got to be at least a little "new bike hype" involved. I am not disagreeing, i have not rode either, I am just surprised to hear you say it is so much better.
Well, it could have something to do with the fact that the Maestro suspension design produces much less bob than the VT, and also that the longer travel actually allows you to run up over stuff without having to lift the front wheel. Believe what you will...considering you haven't ridden either......

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.