Chairlift Connoisseur

Reign 1 shock question

If this question has been asked elsewhere, please direct me to the link…..

I’m hoping that a few of you Giant experts out there will be able to answer this question for me…

On the Reign 1 the rear shock is a Fox Float RP3. With the great build that Giant put together on this bike, I’m curious to know why the Fox DHX Air wasn’t selected for this bike. In my mind it seems like it would be great fit for this bike, but I’m certainly no shock expert.

Would it offer any performance gains? Would there be clearance issues? Is the float a better shock for this application?

Just Curious…….

Motion activated
    I could be wrong, but I don't think it'd fit. A couldn't fit a Vanilla RC on my 05 because of the reservoir.
    Happiness is a warm 2 stroke.

mtbr member
    As far as 05' models are concerned no shock with reservoir (unless it's remote one) will fit.

Considering coil shocks, you can mount only foxVanilla - fox has the smalles spring outer diameter.

So the only thing left are no-reservoir or remote reservoit air shocks or coil fox with remote reservoir.

At least these are the results of my small investigation....
    Passion beyond reason!

mtbr member
    Feb 2005
    What is the shock size on the Reign. It looks like 7 7/8 eye 2 eye with a 2 inch stroke. Can anyone confirm this?

Thanks

spinner
    Quote Originally Posted by dawgboy
    What is the shock size on the Reign. It looks like 7 7/8 eye 2 eye with a 2 inch stroke. Can anyone confirm this?

Thanks
    Yeah thats the size.

It's a pity the frame design prohibits the use of anything with a piggyback. A DHX coil would be sweet in there me thinks.

mtbr member
    Dec 2004
    yeah I have tried to fit both a Fox RC and a DHX Air in it and no go. IMO its a big design flaw in the bike. I put a 36VAN on mine and was envisioning it as a sweet light duty DH bike as well as a trail bike ( places like Whistler I dont think you need monster travel) and I dont think the 3way Swinger is up to the challenge as much as a good coil shock would be.Plus coil shocks just feel so much better.

I have a RC in the correct size and a friend of mine who is an engineering student and works in a machine shop is going to try and make a franken-RC and make it a remote reservoir....If it works out I will post up some pics
    rise above

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by auntesther
    IMO its a big design flaw in the bike.
    Although, I also think it's terrible disadvnatage, IMO it was done on purpose by giant, so that Reign is not abused, used as an FR bike....
    Passion beyond reason!