Alberto
    Nov 2005

Rear shox Ario lockout vs Fox RP3

I just got my new Trance 1, and I don't know wich rear shox I should use, I do long road climbs.

I tried the Ario and i didin'd like the way it felt with the lockout on.

What do you guys think I should do.

MBAA!
    Quote Originally Posted by alberto_morel@hotmail.com
    I just got my new Trance 1, and I don't know wich rear shox I should use, I do long road climbs.

I tried the Ario and i didin'd like the way it felt with the lockout on.

What do you guys think I should do.
    Wouldnt all lockouts feel the same? The FOX RP3 or even just Float R should be a better rear shock but... for long road climbs I would advise selling your trance and buying a road bike
    One of my friends recently died of a coke overdose and it really got me thinking, "damn, maybe I should start drinking pepsi"

Alberto
    Nov 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by en are es
    Wouldnt all lockouts feel the same? The FOX RP3 or even just Float R should be a better rear shock but... for long road climbs I would advise selling your trance and buying a road bike

You are right, but I'm talking 6 to 8 miles climbings, and then off road, so thats why I bought my Trance 1.

mtbr member
    Dec 2004
    You are right, but I'm talking 6 to 8 miles climbings, and then off road, so thats why I bought my Trance 1.
    Yes mountain bikes can and should be used on the road. With our type of riding we use roads to connect various trails. It makes for some epic riding and great adventure.

My old KHS 4 bar has rebound lockout and I really appreciate it on the road or for long grinding uphill dirt climbs. I also took it to france with me this spring and did many TDF climbs with 1 inch Ritchey slicks. The lockout and low gears really worked out great. That is one thing I don't like about my VT. No rear lockout.

But I too don't understand you problem with your lockout. What don't you like about it?? I guess your are either locked out or you aren't I had rebound lockout but it worked out fine for me. I would think compression lockout would be better but I didn't want to put out the money for a new shock.

Alberto
    Nov 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by richwolf
    Yes mountain bikes can and should be used on the road. With our type of riding we use roads to connect various trails. It makes for some epic riding and great adventure.

My old KHS 4 bar has rebound lockout and I really appreciate it on the road or for long grinding uphill dirt climbs. I also took it to france with me this spring and did many TDF climbs with 1 inch Ritchey slicks. The lockout and low gears really worked out great. That is one thing I don't like about my VT. No rear lockout.

But I too don't understand you problem with your lockout. What don't you like about it?? I guess your are either locked out or you aren't I had rebound lockout but it worked out fine for me. I would think compression lockout would be better but I didn't want to put out the money for a new shock.
    I dont know wich shox i should use, the ario has the lockout, but the fox rp3 doesn't, what it has is 3 diferent modes, for pro-pedal, for off road, and an intermete.

What I didn't like about the ario, is that it didn't fell like my old hardtail and it was suppost to, even dough it still had a really small travel which made me jump a little from my saddle will pedaling, do you undestand???

MTB B'dos
    I dont know wich shox i should use, the ario has the lockout, but the fox rp3 doesn't, what it has is 3 diferent modes, for pro-pedal, for off road, and an intermete.

What I didn't like about the ario, is that it didn't fell like my old hardtail and it was suppost to, even dough it still had a really small travel which made me jump a little from my saddle will pedaling, do you undestand???
    Remember the RP3 has Pro Pedal and is a more advanced shock than the Ario - it only has lock-out nothing fancy like Pro Pedal. If you wanted something along similar lines to the RP3 from SRAM/RS you'd need to look at the RS MC3.
    One day your life will flash before your eyes, will it be worth watching??
    MTB Barbados
    My MTB vids

Alberto
    Nov 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by LyNx
    Remember the RP3 has Pro Pedal and is a more advanced shock than the Ario - it only has lock-out nothing fancy like Pro Pedal. If you wanted something along similar lines to the RP3 from SRAM/RS you'd need to look at the RS MC3.

In the shop I bought the Trance 1, they only have those opcions for rear shox, the ario en the rp3, so I have to choose betwen thoose shoxs.

MTB B'dos
    In the shop I bought the Trance 1, they only have those opcions for rear shox, the ario en the rp3, so I have to choose betwen thoose shoxs.
    Didn't know they gave them as options, only thought the T1 came with an RP3. Was just making an observation AS IN they aren't comparable shocks, the RP3 has much better tech.
    One day your life will flash before your eyes, will it be worth watching??
    MTB Barbados
    My MTB vids

Alberto
    Nov 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by LyNx
    Didn't know they gave them as options, only thought the T1 came with an RP3. Was just making an observation AS IN they aren't comparable shocks, the RP3 has much better tech.
    Its not really an opcion for the Trance 1, the reaer shox that came with its the rp3, he is just letting my tried both so i can choose one, and im not quiete sure wich one to stay with, today i'm going to pick up my bike from the shop with the rp3 intalled, and i'm going to try it and see what i'll do

"El Whatever"
    Its not really an opcion for the Trance 1, the reaer shox that came with its the rp3, he is just letting my tried both so i can choose one, and im not quiete sure wich one to stay with, today i'm going to pick up my bike from the shop with the rp3 intalled, and i'm going to try it and see what i'll do
    Not to be a jerk... but why would anyone would want a completely locked out shock?

Bike shocks, even locked out ones, have some free travel. First generation lockouts were like you want it, completely rigid. When people realized that a bike with suspension rolls better than a hardtail, especially over rough pavement, the full-on-lockout became like senseless. So, manufacturers tried to get a lockout that would give a little to retain traction and have a threshold in case you forget to disengage it. So shocks are like that nowadays.

My trail head is like 10 miles away from home... I gotta climb at least 6 miles and all of that is paved AND like 3 miles are on a freeway... And I wouldn't like my suspension locked. It's just a waste. You lose more power from the tire pressure and tread than from any suspension movement.

Seriously, I think the Ario is more than enough. You'd get better results by learning to pedal better. I just can't believe that you'd be uncomfortable riding a 4.2" Trance with a locked out shock. My Warp with 5" of travel and caveman technology shock is very well mannered while on road.

If you want your bike to feel stiffer... get back to your hardtail. Seriously, and with the best of intentions, I think your shock is not the problem... work on pedal better. The Trance is a very good pedaler by its own right.
    Check my Site