mtbr member

Rear Shock Pressure

I have a 2010 Trance x2 with the stock rear Float Fox RP2. I was just curious what you guys run in terms of pressure...I'm 190 lbs with camelback/water and I run around 200 psi usually...I get maybe a 1/2 inch of bobbing in pro pedal. That seems a bit much to me. Also, I never bottom out the shock travel. Probably have 3/8 of an inch left of shock travel b/f the ring pops off.

Thanks for your input.

mtbr member
    The million dollar question.

Have you properly set your sag?

If not, have you measured it to check?

You should start there. Usually recommended sag values are a great away to debug any other issues.

mtbr member
    Yes, I forgot to mention, the sag is to be properly set. Just curious how people set their pressure based on sag and riding weight. I know it's not the easy of a formula though.

mtbr member
    It's not a complicated formula also.

Fox recommends 25% of travel. Be it around 0.44in/11.1cm.

Giant recommends anywhere in between 25 and 30%, that translates to 0.44 to 0.53in/11 to 13mm.

I've got mine set at 25% with the standard sleeve. Medium compression and rebound config. The boostvalve is set at 225. However it is a XCR bike, an Anthem X, so a plush rear suspension won't be it's top characteristic. More than 25% I feel that even with Pro Pedal there is some noticeable bob and while I do know that it is a softail I like to keep things efficient. Less than that and I find that the rear becomes too hard for my riding style.

The o-ring usually sits at around 3/4 of travel and only on hard impacts it uses full travel, as it should! Remember also that if you have Pro Pedal on it will be harder to use the full travel.

Following others opinions on how to set a suspension isn't a good technique. Everyone has different tastes and different riding genres. The best way is trial and error until you know how different parameters work together which eventually will leave you with a shock set to your personal taste.
    Last edited by BustedBearing; 09-24-2012 at 03:00 PM.

mtbr member
    Thanks for your input and knowledge BustedBearing

mtbr member
    I must correct myself. The values I wrote about being recommended by Giant are for an Anthem X. It's the habit. I'll be correcting my previous post since they are a lot different between the two bikes!

If you had upgraded your shock it could happen that it wasn't properly tuned for the frame, but if it is the stock one, then it's just a matter of configuration certainly. Even your weight "class", lets call it that, is around the standard for a grow man.

It may happen though that you just happen to like a completely different compression ratio/shock travel progression. But first you'll should fiddle a bit before getting to that part.

mtbr member
    Feb 2007
    I'm 190lbs at 6' and run 200lbs pressure in my RP-3 and it is perfect.

mtbr member
    Thx SpinDirt...I'm your weight and 5' 10" and I've settled in on 200 psi also. I still have about 1/4" of shock travel left even after some big hits. Do you run ProPedal more or full squish?