Thread: Rainier?

Freshly Fujified

Rainier?

I just took a peek at the Giant web site and am curious as to people's thoughts regarding this year's Rainier. I do like the new frame (which seems to be the standard for all Giant hardtails), but think that the Rainier has lost a lot this year in terms of specs. For the longest time, the Rainier could be described as a benchmark in terms of recreational hardtails with better than average components and stock with clipless pedals. In essence, this bike was a novice race bike out of the box. This year the bike screams "average" to me. Is anyone else disappointed with this year's rainier?

Thoughts, please.

Bob
    'If Wal-Mart sold parachutes, who would jump?' Frank Havnoonian (quoting his father) Drexel Hill Cyclery

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    OK -- I'll chime in: I've ranted on this elsewhere, but ... what on earth is Giant doing? Can't agree with you on the frame; to me, the new Rainier (and I'm a happy Canadian spec. 05 owner) looks horrible -- just like those bloody Canadian Tire/Wal-Mart type bikes that try to 'look like' f/s bikes. I'm sure there are reasons (family resemblance to the Maestro bikes etc.), and I'm sure that (as ever with Giant) it is a good frame, but ....! Agree completely with the 'down spec.' -- I think the switch back to Avid is good, but otherwise not much there really. I forsee many first-time serious h/t buyers, and serious 'recreational' upgraders, looking elsewhere this year!

Freshly Fujified

'06 Msrp=$700 Usd

Looks like Giant was more concerned with filling a price point than offering a "better" recreational hardtail. In this instance, it looks like they've basically spec'd the product to be like the Iguana, but kept the Rainier name, and just dropped the Iguana from the lineup completely. Last year the Rainier had a $850 MSRP, the Iguana $600. Relying on the Rainier reputation with this year's spec is going to lose them some credibility and sales, IMO.

Bob
    'If Wal-Mart sold parachutes, who would jump?' Frank Havnoonian (quoting his father) Drexel Hill Cyclery

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Agree completely; it's funny (no?) to be posting seriously about this, but I think it IS important (within our cycling world). When I returned to riding, after many years, and was looking round, I was attracted to Giant precisely by the 'amount' of quality (frame and components) they pack into a given price point; that, and with the Iguana/Rainier, the 'classic' XC look/feel -- both bikes were very high-value, balanced packages. I started with an 03 Iguana, then booted up to the Rainier. I'm no marketing guy, but I really do think they've (in North America) gone off the rails a bit here -- not at all sure why. As I look around at other mfg's, seems to me that the 'classic' h/t is in fact making something of a comeback. Time will tell. Cheers.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by iggy giant
    Agree completely; it's funny (no?) to be posting seriously about this, but I think it IS important (within our cycling world). When I returned to riding, after many years, and was looking round, I was attracted to Giant precisely by the 'amount' of quality (frame and components) they pack into a given price point; that, and with the Iguana/Rainier, the 'classic' XC look/feel -- both bikes were very high-value, balanced packages. I started with an 03 Iguana, then booted up to the Rainier. I'm no marketing guy, but I really do think they've (in North America) gone off the rails a bit here -- not at all sure why. As I look around at other mfg's, seems to me that the 'classic' h/t is in fact making something of a comeback. Time will tell. Cheers.
    I wish Giant would offer the XTC aluminum hardtail at different price/component levels like they do in England and Japan. I am sure the Trance/Reign style frame is excellent but for some reason as a hardtail I just can't warm up to the new design. I guess I'm a traditionalist. I agree that Giant has lowered the specs on the Ranier a lot. Ther seems to be a hole between it and the aluminum hardtail XTC this year.