mtbr member
    Oct 2004

Racing a Trance ?

I raced a 2005 NRS composite 1 last summer and really love it. But here's the deal, i crashed hard late this fall and broke two of my cervical vertebrae... My doctor said that i can do mountain bike again. That said, i am searching for a bike that is smoother than my NRS wich is kind of harsh on the trail. Of course i am thinking about a Trance (1 or 2 with few upgrade). I want to know if a trance can bring a significant amount of cushion over a NRS and in the case i put myself in racing shape again, if that trance can be raceable. Thanks !

P.S. I am very lucky that i can walk and ride a bike again

bike nerd
    Dec 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by alternative
    Share the luck around alt... good on you for getting back on the bike. My 2 cents: my Trance 2 makes me faster going up, down and traversing than my old hardtail. The rear suspension preserves momentum and floats over choppy, energy-sapping roots and ledges. I've only had my Trance in one race so far but I was faster, more relaxed and comfortable than before. And I was grinning from ear to ear. Can't compare with the NRS, and the Trance is certainly heavier than racers like the RM Element, your NRS, and the new Giant Anthem. But the ride is sure smooth...

mtbr member
    If you were into racing, the Trance is much heavier than a high-spec NRS, however it is a world more plush plus there's sag. Maybe a look into the Anthem's as well- I've heard that they're still much more plush than the NRS too. Not to say that you can't race a Trance- it's just that it's not built for that... it's definitely a "trail" bike. Either way, hope your recoevery is speedy and that you're out riding hard again!

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    I forgot to mention the fact that, plus the smoother ride, i want a more relaxed cockpit instaed of the low and stretched one of the NRS to put less pressure on my vertebrae and intervetrebral disc... Probably searching for a Trance 2 and work on the wheel to shave some weight. With few other small uprade i hope to have it within 2 -2.5 pounds of my NRS wich weight around 25 pounds.

Thanks !

bike nerd
    Dec 2005

race build

I forgot to mention the fact that, plus the smoother ride, i want a more relaxed cockpit instaed of the low and stretched one of the NRS to put less pressure on my vertebrae and intervetrebral disc... Probably searching for a Trance 2 and work on the wheel to shave some weight. With few other small uprade i hope to have it within 2 -2.5 pounds of my NRS wich weight around 25 pounds.

Thanks !
    Keep us posted on your build, if you do that... I want to do something similar. What about the FSA XC-300 wheelset? That plus a Stan's conversion, would lose a good couple of pounds. Apart from that and some eggbeaters, I can't find many places to save weight, without spending big $. Cheers!

Giant Anthem Rider

Shouldn't be a problem

Quote Originally Posted by lazyWhippet
    What about the FSA XC-300 wheelset? That plus a Stan's conversion, would lose a good couple of pounds. Apart from that and some eggbeaters, I can't find many places to save weight, without spending big $. Cheers!
    The Trance frame is roughly a pound heavier than the Anthem which is about the same weight as the NRS Carbon. I would recommend American Classic wheels. They are superlight at 1550gms. Along with that you can go with the Twin ti egg beaters, Kenda karmas, cabon post, flite tt, Syntace stem, carbon bars, Marta brakes, 2 piece cranks such XTR or XT and all the other weight weenie-ish parts to get you under 25lbs for sure. My large K2 Razorback frame hit the scale at 5.5lbs with an overall bike weight of 23.3lbs (see light-bikes.com). Also the 2006 Trance is slightly lighter.

mtbr member
    Oct 2004

trance 2 weight

Quote Originally Posted by Mtbric
    I would recommend American Classic wheels. They are superlight at 1550gms. Along with that you can go with the Twin ti egg beaters, Kenda karmas, cabon post, flite tt, Syntace stem, carbon bars, Marta brakes, 2 piece cranks such XTR or XT and all the other weight weenie-ish parts to get you under 25lbs for sure. My large K2 Razorback frame hit the scale at 5.5lbs with an overall bike weight of 23.3lbs (see light-bikes.com). Also the 2006 Trance is slightly lighter.
    The trance 2 hit the scale at 28 pounds (no pedal) at my lbs. I plan to use a pair of crossmax sl i already own with kenda karmas and stan no tubes sealent( I know the crossmax sl are not the lightest wheelset). I will switch the saddle to a slr xc gel flow (butt preference's here) and to a easton carbon bar. I will also probably use a carbon seatpost with no offset i order to sit a little more forward. I use look 4X4 pedals (same as crank brother but much more durable). That build will not cost me that much cause i own the wheelset and should bring the weight down to 26,5 lbs, wich is a little bit heavy for racing...but i sure get a smoother ride !

If i don't own the crossmax sl i probably go for that built : new stan heavier rim (385 according to stan) laced to dt swiss 240s hub with dt swiss super comp spokes. This shoulb be a rather light but strong wheels.

Take care ! I will keep you posted when i have the bike completed

mtbr member
    I have a medium T1 and came from a NRS 2 and spec. Epic. In both cases the t1 has a more relaxed cockpit and much more forgiving suspension. I too feel faster and more confident w/less fatigue on the T1. The RP3 rr shock is awesome esp. On the downhill. I also got my T1 down to 26.8 w pedals. Parts are mainly xt w/ xtr rims and rr der. Good luck with your decision and have a speedy recovery!

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    I raced a 2005 NRS composite 1 last summer and really love it. But here's the deal, i crashed hard late this fall and broke two of my cervical vertebrae... My doctor said that i can do mountain bike again. That said, i am searching for a bike that is smoother than my NRS wich is kind of harsh on the trail. Of course i am thinking about a Trance (1 or 2 with few upgrade). I want to know if a trance can bring a significant amount of cushion over a NRS and in the case i put myself in racing shape again, if that trance can be raceable. Thanks !

I've had my NRS for over three years and the Trance almost one year. Some racing, but I am not a "racer."

You will definitely find the Trance smoother than the NRS, definitely. I also find the Trance better on bumpy downhills and bumpy, loose rock uphills. In these cases the back tire hooks up (traction) much better than the NRS.

The Trance is heavier than the NRS. At least or about one pound in the frame.

As far as the cockpit goes, my NRS is 18.5 and the Trance is 20. So I am not able to provide much info. Maybe you should look at the frame geo data at the Giant website.

Best wishes,
    Terry

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    I've broken my L1 vertabra and raced expert all last summer. I raced a Santa Cruz Superlight. I'm racing the Anthem 1 this year, but i must say, if you want a plush yet race ready frame...I'd get the superlight over the trance....Being a racer, unless you're all about enduros, I wouldn't race the trance...just too heavy.

Just my two cents

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    [QUOTE=gravityryder]I've broken my L1 vertabra and raced expert all last summer. I raced a Santa Cruz Superlight. I'm racing the Anthem 1 this year, but i must say, if you want a plush yet race ready frame...I'd get the superlight over the trance....Being a racer, unless you're all about enduros, I wouldn't race the trance...just too heavy.

Too late i make the move, not really easy to get a santa cruz around here... I race expert too and i'm pretty happy with my choice. Sure 26,5 lbs is heavy for a race bike... but i will remember this guy forever, who race xc expert class with intense 5,5 and a minute 2 fork and go crazy fast with that bike ! (thinking... maybe if he have a lighter bike he could race the elite class...)!

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    [QUOTE=alternative]
    Quote Originally Posted by gravityryder
    I've broken my L1 vertabra and raced expert all last summer. I raced a Santa Cruz Superlight. I'm racing the Anthem 1 this year, but i must say, if you want a plush yet race ready frame...I'd get the superlight over the trance....Being a racer, unless you're all about enduros, I wouldn't race the trance...just too heavy.

Too late i make the move, not really easy to get a santa cruz around here... I race expert too and i'm pretty happy with my choice. Sure 26,5 lbs is heavy for a race bike... but i will remember this guy forever, who race xc expert class with intense 5,5 and a minute 2 fork and go crazy fast with that bike ! (thinking... maybe if he have a lighter bike he could race the elite class...)!
    Where are you that you can't get one?

mtbr member
    Oct 2004

Quebec

I live in Quebec city... i just found one shop that sell Santa Cruz bike and they are somewhat expensive. And there's not the shop who sponsors our club where we have great deals !

make mine fixed
    I raced (sport) a stock 22" T2 except for flatbar, crossmax sl and slimed hutchinson spiders. Wheel/tire worked well in all conditions. Previous year, 20" NRS 1. T2 is more upright so had to be more careful when sitting going up steep hills. Downhills were a blast. I'm in Omaha and the trails are hardpack with no rock. The T2 really came into its own in longer, rocky races in Black Hills and Colorado.

T2 is a very comfortable bike. Should be a good fit for your requirements.
    Rigid keeps you one with the ground vertically. Fixed keeps you one with the ground horizontally.

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    I live in Quebec city...
    my wife and i visited quebec city last fall for a bit of tourism and mtn biking. we enjoyed some xc at st. anne and up in parc jacques cartier...beautiful place to live and ride!

after my trip north, i bought an '05 trance 2....my first full suspension after many hardtails. I made many upgrades and brought the weight down to about 27.5. With a lighter wheelset and weight-weenie tires (i ride heavier Kenda Nevegals) the weight would be around 26.

I still have my Lightspeed Pisgah which i have raced a few Xterra-type triathlons. Even though my new Trance is about 5 pounds heavier, I just can't believe how fast I descend...and even how fast i climb (now that I have the suspension wired). I rode my Lightspeed today for the fun of it and can't believe how it beat the crap out of me compared to the Trance. The Anthem sounds like a mysto-epic-fun-light-turbo-fast race rig...though i haven't ridden one. The longer effective top tube length turned me off, as I was seeking a more upright cockpit and more of a trail bike. As for the trance...if you have back problems and want a FUN bike ...you'll be stoked.