MBAA!

R7/Avid juicy 5s

I currently own an '04 NRS3. Setup is essentially stock with SRAM X7 deraillers (in case you havent heard me bragging elsewhere) and SRAM shifters (full SRAM). So since my drivetrain is basically good for me now, I was thinking what I wanted for christmas. My entire christmas list is:
    Manitou R7 Elite 100mm travel fork
    Avid Juicy 5 disc brakes

I have some questions though... when is the R7 actually being released? Also, I know some of you might say I should run the S-type rear shock to compliment it, but I currently run a FOX Float R with a Pilot so im fine if they arent the same matching set. This is also my birthday list (birthday is Jan.17), will the R7 be released by my birthday? Im saving up for it since its unlikely ill be getting it for christmas. I will be racing soon and hopefully after a few races I wont be finishing last... who knows, ive been pushing 30 continuously on trails, maybe with the R7 being lighter than the Pilot I will be doing better.

Another question, how I will I like the Juicy 5's over my current Avid V-brakes? The disc brakes dont really lock up do they? I have to be really careful when braking now because they tend to skid all over the place.

So, will I like the R7 more than my Pilot, and when will it be released (if anyone has a clue) and will I like the Juicy 5s over my current brakes?

Yes I know I ask a lot of questions... sorry.

Oh, one more question. I have a RaceFace crankset (ill find out the exact type when my bike gets back from the shop... I had to leave it there because they screwed some stuff up)... replacing this - how much weight will it save me? Id hate to say it but now im turning into a real weight weenie, and these RaceFace componets seem really heavy. Where else can I save weight without going poor?
    One of my friends recently died of a coke overdose and it really got me thinking, "damn, maybe I should start drinking pepsi"

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    the R7 is already available in the US as far as a know. and certainly should be readily available by Christmas/mid-Jan.

the Juicy hydraulics have a great reputation for 'modulation', so you should have good 'feel' and avoid lock-up. i run Juicy 7 on my HT and love them. i also have Hayes Nine on another HT, and i do prefer the Avid's.

i think the combo will make a great upgrade for your NRS. i'd suggest keeping the fork travel close to the stock setup, and no more than 100mm. so 80~100mm is fine, and will retain the nice geometry/sharp handling the NRS is renowned for.

you can save some weight with a new crankset, but depends how much you're prepared to pay. as you save more and more weight, the price goes up exponentially. you simply have to look at the prices of XTR and carbon FSA cranksets to see how expensive they can be. but you can probably save a 100g-plus if you're willing to spend the $$. but weight-savings should not be the only priority; 'stiffness' is also important, but you can expect top quality stiffness in a high-end crankset, whether it be raceface, truvativ, shimano, or fsa. those with 'external BB' (eg: hollowtech II, MegaExo, etc) seem to be the way to go these days, and i think are sufficiently 'proven' on the race track and recreationally to be reliable.

also consider other areas of weight-saving. if you haven't already, consider upgrading the wheels as you will find better performance gains in upgrading these over a crankset.

enjoy the view
    have you considered replacing tires with folding ones and inner tubes with the no-tubes stuff? i just recently converted my xt hubs laced to xc717 to stans and ritchey zmax folding tires and what a difference it makes. it may not seem like much when you lift the bike but i can sure feel the difference in rolling weight, feels like my bike lost 5 pounds all over.

MBAA!
    I can get a deal on a Minute 2 for 230$ so I might go for that instead of the R7. Still up for the disc brakes, thanks for the info.
    One of my friends recently died of a coke overdose and it really got me thinking, "damn, maybe I should start drinking pepsi"

Members who have read this thread: 0