mtbr member
    Apr 2009

Quick Shopping question! Much thanks for help!!

LBS can get me a Giant Reign X1 for 1700, tax free. Is this a good deal, or should I shop around longer? I would have to buy pedals/shoes/gloves/helmet/tool/extra tube/tool Probably putting me at around 2000 total. My other option is a Motobecane Fantom Hardtail Pro, $1200 bucks shipped and even if the frame isn't the best the components/fork/wheels are alone worth well over 1500 together.

Help me make a choice, that 08 Reign will get snatched up fast.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Blazed
    LBS can get me a Giant Reign X1 for 1700, tax free. Is this a good deal, or should I shop around longer? I would have to buy pedals/shoes/gloves/helmet/tool/extra tube/tool Probably putting me at around 2000 total. My other option is a Motobecane Fantom Hardtail Pro, $1200 bucks shipped and even if the frame isn't the best the components/fork/wheels are alone worth well over 1500 together.

Help me make a choice, that 08 Reign will get snatched up fast.
    Pull the trigger! Get it!

squish is good
    $1700 USD? Hell yeah, buy that sucker. Thats a really good deal. I paid the same amount for my 05 Reign 2 and it wasn't spec'd nearly as well as a 08 Reign X1. Don't bother with the Motobecane, not even close to the Reign (not saying that as a Giant fan-boy, it's seriously not close).

If you don't buy it, give me the shops number, I'll buy it.

Do it.

Do it.

Bike good, work bad.

Living Ghetto Fabulous!
    Buy now!
    Quote Originally Posted by kidwoo
    The internet sounds like a tough place to ride.

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    If I use this bike for general transpo on pavement and do some decent XC with it, will it be too much bike for me to pedal? Someone over on the beginner section told me to avoid buying this bike.

I am 5'11-6'0 , ~200lbs and fairly strong. I wanted a bike that could do it all. Jumps, XC, trails, and using it as transportation around town and to/from school which is 3 miles of road each way, several times a day.

Please let me know. Is this bike really that hard to pedal? I figured as a strong in shape 200lb rider I wouldn't have much trouble.

This is the response I am referring to.

Quote Originally Posted by borregokid
    Stay away from the Reign. Not that there is anything wrong with it but buying a bike because its a good deal is a mistake for the novice rider. You need to define your needs in a bike. The Fantom is a race grade hardtail and the Reign is a heavy all-mountain bike. The Reign in fact could weigh as much as 38 pounds and that might be enough to discourage you from riding it. If I was going down to the Giant dealer I would look pretty hard at the Giant Trance and Anthem as well as the XTC Alliance. A left over Reign from 2008 isnt that great a bargain at $1700.

The Fantom at $1200 is a pretty good deal but if you wanted to bargain shop the LBS or Performance Bike might come close. The GT Zaskar Expert Disc at performance for $1150 is a pretty good deal. If you are a team performance member you could come back the next day and use your $115 store credit to buy a helmet and shoes. You would also know whether you bought the right size bike by dealing locally. My answer is basically dont buy either bike and look a little harder.

Thanks for the help.

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    Shameless bump, LBS is expecting me in a half hour, I don't want to make a mistake with this bike.

squish is good
    Sorry if this is too late but I'll throw my $.02 anyways. I know Borregokid personally, he lives one town over from me, and he's a very smart guy, been riding for longer than I am and he has a point. Thing is, if you want a bike that can do everything the Reign X is a better option than a XC hardtail or Motobecane budget frame. I started out riding on a regular Reign, before they had a Reign X and I used it for everything. I commuted to work and classes on the road, I pedaled it on fireroad epics. I climbed for hours and took it on shuttle trips with my buddies who had downhill bikes. I still ride it, albeit with a significantly different component spec than it came with initially and I can say if I could pic between one or the other I would have gone with the Reign X if it were available. It offers a little more room to grow on the Freeride side without impinging on the climbing ability too much.

Besides, I don't think the X1 is anywhere near 38 lbs, closer to 34 lbs IIRC. And there is a little room to lighten it up, you can get a XC wheelset thats way lighter and just swap back and forth for what you want to do. It's a very versatile bike.
    Bike good, work bad.