mtbr member
    May 2010

Quick advice needed: used Trance x1 '12 or new Trance x2 '12 (+$500)

Hello,
    I have the option to buy a used (demo/rental) Trance x1 2012 from a bike shop or, for $500 more, to buy a new Trance x2 2012.

Would it be worth to get the cheaper but used x1 or should I get the new x2?

Of note: I have not seen the used bike in person - only on pictures but the seller appears to be a reputable store.

Any suggestion is appreciated as I have to decide by week end.

Thank you.

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    I would go for the used X1, condition dependant of course. If it's seriously trashed then yeah, go the X2. My angle would be save the $500 for upgrades and work the shop to give you a free shock (and depending on your powers of persuasion forks as well) rebuild, brake bleed and full service. If you can get any or all of those, you then have 500 bucks for a swanky set of wheels etc. Viola...sexy new to you bike for a bargain!

You know the new Trance 29er is coming out later this year right?

mtbr member
    Does the used/demo come with a full warranty? The downside to buying used off CL or ebay... you get no warranty, if you break the frame. I've personally never broken a frame, but it happens... something to consider.

If the X1 does have a warranty, which it may, and the parts look in decent shape, I would go with that one.

mtbr member
    May 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by motomuppet View Post
    I would go for the used X1, condition dependant of course. If it's seriously trashed then yeah, go the X2. My angle would be save the $500 for upgrades and work the shop to give you a free shock (and depending on your powers of persuasion forks as well) rebuild, brake bleed and full service. If you can get any or all of those, you then have 500 bucks for a swanky set of wheels etc. Viola...sexy new to you bike for a bargain!

You know the new Trance 29er is coming out later this year right?

From the pictures I have seen the comments look like to be in ok shape but than again the pictures won't reveal all blemishes.

I seriously doubt that they will swap anything or through in any freebies.

You are making a good point by saving the $500 and use it for future repairs... If needed...

mtbr member
    May 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by d365 View Post
    Does the used/demo come with a full warranty? The downside to buying used off CL or ebay... you get no warranty, if you break the frame. I've personally never broken a frame, but it happens... something to consider.

If the X1 does have a warranty, which it may, and the parts look in decent shape, I would go with that one.

No, there is no warranty on the bike and the seller is stating that very obviously "sold as is". Objectively, I understand that as they want to flush out old/used inventory at a discounted rate without a future headache.

They do offer a 14 days return, which I think is reasonable and provides for some assurance.

That shop has quite a few reviews on yelp and elsewhere and they are in business since 20+ years.... you never know what that's really worth but it is a good sign.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Wannebe View Post
    No, there is no warranty on the bike and the seller is stating that very obviously "sold as is". Objectively, I understand that as they want to flush out old/used inventory at a discounted rate without a future headache.

They do offer a 14 days return, which I think is reasonable and provides for some assurance.

That shop has quite a few reviews on yelp and elsewhere and they are in business since 20+ years.... you never know what that's really worth but it is a good sign.

Just for reference, I bought a Specialized demo bike in '06, and it did have the lifetime warranty... it was never actually sold to an individual, before I bought it, so I would ask to be sure... "as is" might just mean, they won't put new parts on, if they're worn out... like chainrings, cassette, etc.

warranties usually only cover frame/weld defects anyway. afik

mtbr member
    May 2010
    I just got the following information regarding tune up from the seller:

"...we completely overhaul the entire bike... strip it to its frame and overhaul everything. we then put the original tires(new), saddle(new), and grips(new) back on the bike. additionally we replace any mechanically damaged parts... "

Again, there is no warranty on anything (frame or components) and the comment from d365 does make some sense (a demo/rental is technically not sold before and I am the first owner... so the warranty from Giant should apply based on that).

Ahh, decisions decision.....

Thanks for all advises thus far!

mtbr member
    May 2010
    One additional update regarding warranty:

"....the warranty will be valid with giant, but in the event that anything should happen please contact us so that we can assist in the warranty process.

I am starting to get more comfortable with these guys as they are quick to response and very polite.

bacon! bacon! bacon!
    One additional update regarding warranty:

"....the warranty will be valid with giant, but in the event that anything should happen please contact us so that we can assist in the warranty process.

I am starting to get more comfortable with these guys as they are quick to response and very polite.
    Is this a shop? Sounds like it. I would check to make *sure* that the warranty will be valid. If it is, IMO the used X1 is kind of the no-brainer choice...

mtbr member
    May 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by SkaredShtles View Post
    Is this a shop? Sounds like it. I would check to make *sure* that the warranty will be valid. If it is, IMO the used X1 is kind of the no-brainer choice...
    Yes it is a shop and they and they are providing some conflicting information. On their site it says clearly "no warranty" via email they do claim to provide warranty.

I did some more research to understand what people had to say about their rental bikes.

Most renters were happy with the condition of the bike but it appears that they also were not shy about explaining what they have done with these rentals during their rides (basically being careless whatsoever and happy that the store didnt charge them for damages at time of bike return)....

Now, the seller is telling me that that particular x1 was only rented out for 3 month.

The question is how much damage/usage could have been happening for a 3 month old bike if that bike has been rented out for, lets 70% of the time (approx. 60 days continues riding)??

Would the shocks, break or other wear-and-tear parts be significantly worn out in 3 month time?

I am not much of a mechanic and dont want to have a bike, which I need to bring to the store for replacement parts or repairs...

mtbr member
    May 2010
    On another note:

My LBS just returned a call to me and they dropped the price for the new x2...

Now, I am looking at a difference of only $400 between the two bikes.

That offer is only good until tomorrow evening and I seriously have to think about getting the higher grade bike while taking a risk on future repair or early maintenance or getting something brand new, which I can ride most likely for the next year or so without having to see the shop.

bacon! bacon! bacon!

That offer is only good until tomorrow evening
    Don't buy that nonsense. They're bluffing to try to get you to buy now.

mtbr member
    May 2010
    Don't buy that nonsense. They're bluffing to try to get you to buy now.
    Yeah, I thought the same.

They had a 4th of July promo going on and after I asked if that promo is still valid, they told me no... I poked around a little and they explained that they would honor it until Friday as I am not able to make it into the shop today.

After all, it is a significant savings over any other deal in my area and veerry tempting.

bacon! bacon! bacon!
    You go in next Tuesday and that bike is still on the floor I *guarantee* they'll still honor that sale price...

Te mortuo heres tibi sim?
    You go in next Tuesday and that bike is still on the floor I *guarantee* they'll still honor that sale price...
    This.
    Florence Nightingale's Stormtrooper

mtbr member
    May 2010
    Thanks to everyone for the advise.

I went with the new x2 today.

While I still think that the rental x1 is probably a very good deal and most likely in reasonable condition, I just didn't want to take too many chances and risks with a used bike without seeing detailed pictures of components and overall condition.

Now, I just have to wait until the new toy arrives next week.

Thanks again!