mtbr member
    Sep 2014

Questions about Giant Sport 2.1 Tires

Hi all,

I bought a Giant Talon 4 (2015) in red/black this summer, and I don't have much information on the wheel and tire that comes OEM stock on this bike. The website doesn't have much information other than "Giant Alloy, double wall" Rim and "Giant Sport, 27.5 x 2.1"

I cannot even find these tires online in case I need a replacement for some reason. I noticed the rims were quite narrow (I think wider is better)

If someone can help answer any/all of these questions, that'd be very helpful.

1. Are these rims and tires considered decent/good? In terms of weight/grip/quality?

2. Any place I can find more information on this specific tire?

3. Would the tires/wheels be a cost beneficial area to upgrade? What would be some cheaper/good value upgrade?

4. Would this be worthwhile/possible converting to tubeless?

5. Are these tires suitable more for grip and loose conditions, or geared toward low rolling resistance and faster speed?

Thanks,

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    Does nobody have an information on these tires? I'm wondering mainly if they're considered good all purpose tires/tread, or only good for certain surfaces.

And also if it's a good candidate for an upgrade, as well as looking into upgrading the rims.

mtbr member
    The tires are probably made for Giant by Kenda. They are good tires.

Now to try to answer your questions.
    1. Yes for the majority of riders.
    2. Google
    3 & 4. Start by getting new tires. Stick with clinchers- tire & tube.

5. They are most likely an all around tire with compromises someplace. Just adjust air to get what you need.

Here is where it gets fun. Different conditions will require a different tire. Personally, I like to ride when the trails are dry & not all mucked up. I like something in the center of the tread for low rolling resistance. If you need more traction let some air out. Want to roll faster add air. Big knobbies work good in the loose stuff. Small knobbies in the smooth. Some tires weigh less than others. That can make a big difference. Of course they may not last as long as a heavier tire or handle the abuse.

There are a lot of tires from different manufactures to choose from. Pick something that will work for your riding style & what conditions you will be riding in the most.

Your Best Friend
    Quote Originally Posted by Aeternum View Post
    Hi all,

I bought a Giant Talon 4 (2015) in red/black this summer, and I don't have much information on the wheel and tire that comes OEM stock on this bike. The website doesn't have much information other than "Giant Alloy, double wall" Rim and "Giant Sport, 27.5 x 2.1"

I cannot even find these tires online in case I need a replacement for some reason. I noticed the rims were quite narrow (I think wider is better)

If someone can help answer any/all of these questions, that'd be very helpful.

1. Are these rims and tires considered decent/good? In terms of weight/grip/quality?

No. They are starter wheels on a starter bike. Nothing wrong with that. Ride them until they break and then upgrade the whole bike. Bikes in this price range are never worth the time/money you'll spend on upgrading them. You'll go broke and still have a bike that isn't as nice as one just a bit spendier.

2. Any place I can find more information on this specific tire?

Agree with Google, also your local Giant dealer will be the only place to get more of them, which I wouldn't recommend.

3. Would the tires/wheels be a cost beneficial area to upgrade? What would be some cheaper/good value upgrade?

Sure. Just wait until they're worn out. Then get a different brand and something lighter with tubeless capability.

4. Would this be worthwhile/possible converting to tubeless?

Not now. Your rims aren't designed for it and while you could do a Ghetto set up, it would be a ton of hassle. Stick with tubes on this bike. When/if you upgrade your tires, you can make the decision then.

5. Are these tires suitable more for grip and loose conditions, or geared toward low rolling resistance and faster speed?

They are adequate for everything, great at nothing. Just ride them until they wear out.

Thanks,
    Replied to each question in the quote.
    I guide and rent bikes in Northern Utah

http://www.facebook.com/AdventureEarthRides