mathlete
    Nov 2007

question for you Anthem X29 owners

do any of you Anthem X29er owners own or previously owned an Niner RIP9? What are your thoughts and how does the anthem compare to the RIP?

I know they are two different types of bikes and the "intent" of each is slightly different. I keep on reading reviews that claims the Anthem x29 "blurs the line between XC and trail" or the Anthem is "not to be discounted on rougher and faster trails." I'd debating on selling my RIP9 to purchase an Anthem. I don't ride the Rip to its full potential and living in S.E. Texas I seldom visit trails that warrant the 5" travel. Most of my riding is along the lines of XC to aggressive XC thus the thoughts of changing bikes. I've been kicking around the option of putting the Rip9 on a "diet" to make it a more XC friendly (several times a year I'll to a XC-m race where the terrain warrants a FS and my XC HT is not the bike to use). After the planned cost of the upgrades to the Rip its close to that of a complete bike.

mtbr member
    May 2011
    I'm in Austin and can do pretty much any trail around here with my Anthem. That said, I'm getting a Trance as a bit more of a fun bike to play around on. You can add a 120mm fork to the Anthem to make it a bit more trailish. Any of the SE Texas trails would be fine on either. You barely need suspension for them.

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Also, I raced all of the TMBRA Spring series on the Anthem with no problem. I wished I had a hardtail for Coldspring and Warda but was happy for FS at MJ classic and Pace Bend.

mathlete
    Nov 2007
    Fontarin- How does the anthem fair at Emma Long? That's one place I really like my RIP. Yes, I agree with you on the new Trance x29 but my current FS bike (the RIP) fits that bill just fine. BUT I seldom get to ride places like Emma, Revielle Peak Ranch, BLORA.

I guess the question is does the anthem ever leave you feeling like "man, I wish I had a bit more travel and a slacker head angle"?

mtbr member
    May 2011
    It's not bad at Emma. I obviously can't do some of the jumps on it. It can be a bit steep at times. I can probably give you a better opinion on that when I get my Trance. I haven't done thumper on it so not sure about there.

That's really the only trail I'd say it has any drawbacks on though. The Rip would obviously be better there.

So to answer your question Emma is the only place I might want slacker angles. Everywhere else is fine.

mathlete
    Nov 2007
    Now when you get your trance do you think you will race it or will the anthem still be the ride for those? I guess I know what to do...convince the wife I need another FS bike

mtbr member
    May 2011
    I'll probably still race the Anthem. My wife has an Epic, which is great for TMBRA, but not as fun on the rough stuff as the Anthem, so she's taking over the Anthem for trail riding, and I'm getting the Trance.

mathlete
    Nov 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by fontarin View Post
    I'll probably still race the Anthem. My wife has an Epic, which is great for TMBRA, but not as fun on the rough stuff as the Anthem, so she's taking over the Anthem for trail riding, and I'm getting the Trance.
    Good to know! Thanks.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by cycleologist View Post
    I guess the question is does the anthem ever leave you feeling like "man, I wish I had a bit more travel and a slacker head angle"?
    Not yet. 2012 Anthem X29er 1 and have been riding it for a year now. I have wished for a dropper post the odd time, but that's about it!