Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Question about the RS SID XC Rear Shock on 2001 NRS Air

1K views 3 replies 3 participants last post by  Lungs_on_Fire 
#1 ·
I have a 2001 NRS Air that have riden hard and long for the past 3.5 years. It is flawless in my opinion, but recent I think my SID XC Rear Shock is kaput.

I will not hold air in the positive chamber after you put air in the negative chamber. I set it up to about 190 in the POS and 50 in the NEG, but after I put the air in the NEG the POS pressure will immediately fall all the way to 100 or so. It I put the NEG air in first then the POS it holds a bit better but still drops pretty fast down to 100 – a few rides.

Has anyone else had this problem? I have never really had any service done on the rear shock. Is it worth it to get it service (will new seals or something fix it) or should I just junk it for a new shock? I'd like to repair it if possible because I see the frame only having one season left in it until it is time for a new NRS.

Thanks!

#2 ·
yeah, I'm not positive, but it sounds like your up for a rebuild, but you might be able to find a cheap replacement on ebay?? I'm pretty sure your supposed to fill up the positive first, then the neg. second on those SID's. ;)
As for getting a new NRS, I believe 05 is the last year before it gets phased out, probably depending on sales of the new Trance vs. the 05 NRS though.

#3 ·
A full rebuild by RS cost me $175 through the LBS this past 03-04 Winter. The shock is like new, they replaced all the du sleeves, and bushings, and every seal. They even replaced the rebound knob from a knurled one to a 3 sided one. I was really suprised. It looked like new.

But, I only rode the thing about 30 rides before a worn rear suspension and non-availability of replacement parts made me buy a new frame. That's a different story.

If you liked the performance of the shock before it wore out, I say get it repaired. I tried a Cane Creek AD-12 when my RS wore out, and it sucked. Perhaps I had a bad CC shock, but I did NOT get results like other people have had. I ended up sending the SID back to Cane Creek instead.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.