mtbr member
    Apr 2008

Question about Giant Anthem

What are the pro's and con's of putting a 100 fork on there instead of an 80.

mtbr member
    Dec 2007

100 mm Better imo

Quote Originally Posted by Atown117
    What are the pro's and con's of putting a 100 fork on there instead of an 80.
    Go for 100 mm, I had an Anthem 2 with a Fox F 100 RL and it still felt racy and was still very efficient on the climbs, plus when things got a little rough the 100 mm saved my bacon a couple of times. The geometry will change from 69 to 70 degrees +- but it is minimal. And you will most probably use your bike for some trail ridin as well, not only for racing and the extra 20 mm will come in handy on the trail. If you do have a second bike for all round use and only use the Anthem solely for racing then stick with 80 mm fork otherwise go for 100 mm. Whatever you choose the Anthem is a lovely bike and you will enjoy it.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by OutThere
    The geometry will change from 69 to 70 degrees +- but it is minimal.
    Overall the above reply is right, but the numbers are wrong. The head angle will change from 72-degrees with an 80mm fork, which is about as sharp as mountain bikes get, to 71.25 with a 100mm fork. Still fairly racy and easier to control on the descents for non-experts.

I would think it's this simple: If you race and are serious about it, get the 80. If this is your one bike to do it all, get the 100 -- or a Trance.