Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Proper Bottom Bracket Size???

1K views 2 replies 2 participants last post by  burler 
#1 ·
So I'm building up a 2003 Giant NRS1 frame and have a question about bottom brackets/cranks. I checked the OEM specs on the 2003 Giant NRS1 and saw that it came with a 68x113 bottom bracket and Race Face Prodigy crankset. SO, When I ordered my crankset (Race Face Evolve XC) and bottom bracket (FSA Platinum) I requested a 68x113 size. My problem is now that I have the crankset it says "for use with a 108mm spindle length only". Is this a problem? Will that extra 5mm length REALLY make a difference? If so, what would the problem(s) be? I can think of two possible things: 1) problems shifting in the front (but i should be able to adjust the FD to overcome that, right?), or 2) increased torque on the bottom bracket shell/frame due to the cranks being farther away from the center of gravity. Please help and give me your thoughts of whether I should be concerned about this or not!!!!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.