Nat
    Solo contendre

ProPedal shock beneficial with Maestro?

The 2008 Reign X1 comes with the DHX 4.0 shock. Would the higher level 5.0 shock, with ProPedal, be helpful on a Maestro suspension, or does Maestro negate the need?

Edit: Reign X1, not X2.
    Last edited by Nat; 05-29-2008 at 07:57 AM.

On MTBR hiatus :(
    The Reign I demoed when they debuted reacted very similiarly to my first generation dw-link: squishy and sofa-like over the mildest of terrain, yet seemingly non-reactive to my pedaling, even when standing. But it doesn't help that I can't recall what shock it used that first year.

Anyhow, any increase in platform damping would cancel out one of the more enjoyable aspects of this type of suspension, IMHO.
    speedub.nate
    ∑ MTBR Hiatus UFN ∑

mtbr member
    May 2006
    According to the Fox site the DHX 4.0 has propedal...Its the DHX 3.0 that does not.

Formerly DMR For Life
    Quote Originally Posted by Nat
    The 2008 Reign X1 comes with the DHX 4.0 shock. Would the higher level 5.0 shock, with ProPedal, be helpful on a Maestro suspension, or does Maestro negate the need?

Edit: Reign X1, not X2.

The X0 Comes with a DHX 4.0 Air the X1 comes with a DHX 3.0 Coil, all of the DHX shocks have propedal, just the 3.0 lacks the adjuster of the other two, its factory set

Nat
    Solo contendre
    Quote Originally Posted by Full Mountain
    The X0 Comes with a DHX 4.0 Air the X1 comes with a DHX 3.0 Coil, all of the DHX shocks have propedal, just the 3.0 lacks the adjuster of the other two, its factory set
    Whoops, thanks for the correction.

The 3.0 has ProPedal?

Another way to ask my question would be, "If I were to buy the X1, would it be worth it to upgrade from the 3.0 shock to the 5.0?"

Speedub.Nate thinks not.

mtbr member
    May 2007
    Whoops, thanks for the correction.

The 3.0 has ProPedal?

Another way to ask my question would be, "If I were to buy the X1, would it be worth it to upgrade from the 3.0 shock to the 5.0?"

Speedub.Nate thinks not.
    3.0 has propedal, but is not adjustable. It's very minimal at most too.

The 5.0 is a horrible waste of money for the Reign X1. If anything go with a Roco TSTr, as it costs $70 less and performs far better than the DHX 5.0 (I've owned several). It's a great upgrade as long as you run the rebound fast and it just opens up without being buckey.

My TSTr on the X1 was a night and day difference from the stock 3.0.

Maestro doesn't "need" platforms, but never underestimate the value of compression adjustment on ANY design. I got the compression dialed on mine and it made an already great bike feel even better. No suspension design is going to perform its best without some compression damping to tune the traction levels. My X1 has more traction and control with the TST lever at 1/3 of compression damping than it does wide open.

I do agree with Nate on one thing though, a strong platform would do nothing but hurt the performance. Small amounts of compression damping is entirely different though. It's needed to increase traction.

Nat
    Solo contendre
    Quote Originally Posted by Foamzilla
    3.0 has propedal, but is not adjustable. It's very minimal at most too.

The 5.0 is a horrible waste of money for the Reign X1. If anything go with a Roco TSTr, as it costs $70 less and performs far better than the DHX 5.0 (I've owned several). It's a great upgrade as long as you run the rebound fast and it just opens up without being buckey.

My TSTr on the X1 was a night and day difference from the stock 3.0.

Maestro doesn't "need" platforms, but never underestimate the value of compression adjustment on ANY design. I got the compression dialed on mine and it made an already great bike feel even better. No suspension design is going to perform its best without some compression damping to tune the traction levels. My X1 has more traction and control with the TST lever at 1/3 of compression damping than it does wide open.

I do agree with Nate on one thing though, a strong platform would do nothing but hurt the performance. Small amounts of compression damping is entirely different though. It's needed to increase traction.
    Ahh, I hadn't considered the Rocco. I favor compression damping and fast rebound.

Now the next question: Does the compression adjustment on the Fox Vanilla 36 RC fork make a noticeable change in damping? I can ask that on the Shock board.

MTB B'dos
    Hey Nat, I'd say depending on what/how you plan on riding that bike would determine the need for the PP/dampening. In the 2+ years I had my Trance I only ever had it with the FloatR and it worked fine, but ti did want a RP3 at times - when climbing road sections, or just plain on the road - other than that if it's strictly for trails I'd say you'll be fine with a non adjustable shock, but having the ability to flip on a bit of dampening when climbing (cause I know you're not a shuttle type guy ) is very nice. I was very happy with mine in all honesty, but always wondered, mainly because we have to do so much road here to link trails up and I race a time or two.

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    I would say the most logical thing to do would get the DHX 3.0 and have it tuned (PUSH).

Nat
    Solo contendre
    Quote Originally Posted by MaddSquirrel
    I would say the most logical thing to do would get the DHX 3.0 and have it tuned (PUSH).
    Can PUSH add adjustable compression damping?

Thanks for your replies everyone.

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    Don't think so, but from most reviews you do not really need the adjustability after it is tuned. This was just a suggestion. I am looking at getting a Reign X in the near future and this is the route I will be going. I have ridden a pushed shock, but not on my own bike. That is coming in the next few months as it is starting tell me it needs a service.

mtbr member
    Can PUSH add adjustable compression damping?

Thanks for your replies everyone.
    Just get the TST-R air or coil. If you need to stiffen up the suspension you can just flip the lever to make the bike more like a hardtail. The great thing about the TST function is that you can turn it off. With a Fox propedal shock, you will always have some level of platform.
    That said, I just recently put the original DHX 5-air back on my IH 6point. I was running a TST-r coil(ti) on it before. I run the DHX5-A with as little boost and propedal as possible. It's been working pretty good.
    I would like to have put a ROCO TST-air on it but I already have 2 high end shocks so maybe in the future.

From what I have read, PUSH tuning will remove the propedal function and valve it to your bike, weight and riding style. If I was going to get it PUSH'd, I would get the DHX3-a.

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    I think the reign x benefits greatly from a dhx 5.0 upgrade but not from the propedal adjustment. With a 5.0 you get bottom out adjustment which helps greatly when using the Reign X(with its 3 to 1 leverage ratio and linear rear wheel path) as more of a freeride/downhill bike. I run my bottom out all the way in with the propedal off to enable having small bump compliance without bottoming out very often. I would highly recommend going with the dhx 5.0 if using the reign X for bigger or rough downhill terrain.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Living Ghetto Fabulous!
    Quote Originally Posted by Speedwa
    I think the reign x benefits greatly from a dhx 5.0 upgrade but not from the propedal adjustment. With a 5.0 you get bottom out adjustment which helps greatly when using the Reign X(with its 3 to 1 leverage ratio and linear rear wheel path) as more of a freeride/downhill bike. I run my bottom out all the way in with the propedal off to enable having small bump compliance without bottoming out very often. I would highly recommend going with the dhx 5.0 if using the reign X for bigger or rough downhill terrain.
    Wow. Nice shots. Care to post your set-up? That's the riding I want to do if I get an X...
    Quote Originally Posted by kidwoo
    The internet sounds like a tough place to ride.

mtbr member
    May 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by Speedwa
    True about the DHX 5.0 bottom out feature. It's nice.

IMO, though, it doesn't have the same ramp up of bottom out resistance found in the TSTr. Deep, big hits feel much more controlled on the Roco.

The biggest difference I can think of is that the Roco takes high speed hits smoother.

mtbr member
    [SIZE=2]So far I’ve had a mixed experience when using ProPedal on the Trance and Trance X. With the Trance X is makes the bike feel skitterish and the level of ProPedal is completely over the top, I wouldn’t even use it on roads. Whereas with supposedly the same shock, shock setup and suspension design on my Trance it still feels too strong but has no ill effects and feels controlled and gives the bike the kind of pedalling to push against you normally associate with hard tails, it works with not against the bike.

On another note the suspension feels too springy which results in a certain amount of bobbing on the X which is something I only noticed when I got the ordinary Trance but you get used to it and suddenly after a little riding you don’t notice it and the X becomes its usual brilliant self.

But those are just the Trance models so I'd like to spend longer on the Reign and Reign X.[/SIZE]

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by Uncle Cliffy
    Wow. Nice shots. Care to post your set-up? That's the riding I want to do if I get an X...
    Sure
    I am about 6' and weigh 180 lbs
    Reign X frame Medium
    dhx 5.0 w/550 lb spring
    RC2X 180mm travel(had it from my other bike would rather have a Totem coil)
    Gravity light 710 mm bars and Gravity light crankset
    Hope pro 2 hubs with mavic 721 rims Minion 2.5 tires
    Single ring up front w/Mrp G2 guide.(Had to slightly modify base plate to make work)
    Avid Juicy 7 levers with Code 5 calipers and 203mm rotors front and back (ride quite of bit of steeps)
    Sram X9 rear shifter and deraileur

Love this bike. Sometime later this year I will try to get a DH bike but this is my do everything bike for now.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by EGF168
    [SIZE=2]So far Iíve had a mixed experience when using ProPedal on the Trance and Trance X. With the Trance X is makes the bike feel skitterish and the level of ProPedal is completely over the top, I wouldnít even use it on roads. Whereas with supposedly the same shock, shock setup and suspension design on my Trance it still feels too strong but has no ill effects and feels controlled and gives the bike the kind of pedalling to push against you normally associate with hard tails, it works with not against the bike.

On another note the suspension feels too springy which results in a certain amount of bobbing on the X which is something I only noticed when I got the ordinary Trance but you get used to it and suddenly after a little riding you donít notice it and the X becomes its usual brilliant self.

But those are just the Trance models so I'd like to spend longer on the Reign and Reign X.[/SIZE]
    maybe, just maybe, on the Trance X you need to slow the shock rebound down a bit. Would be easy enough to try.

mtbr member
    [SIZE=2]That helps, it not a problem, itís just something I have noticed, I have the rebound set 2 clicks back from full rebound on the Trance and 5 on the X and it seems fine.
    [/SIZE]