Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member

Upset Problems with my new Reign X1

I have had nothing but trouble with my brand new Fox suspension hardware. I've seen and heard such great things from Fox and I'm confused. Do I have a bad batch? Are their new products prone to fault? Did I make a huge mistake in buying a bike with their parts?
    Here's my story. I'm looking for some advice or commiseration. Maybe there are others experiencing the same issues?

I bought a 2012 Giant Reign X1 on November 11. You may have seen my thread with pictures and such. I set the Fox 36 Float R Performance fork at 80 psi and the Fox DHX Air 5.0 shock at 250-150 with bottom out cranked in halfway.

My first rides were laid back and the bike felt infinitely plush. I was completely stoked. I have never ridden anything comparable. I felt like I had woken up from this bad dream and now I was finally mountain biking as it was meant to be. As I felt more at home, I began to push the speed and airs to the level at which I normally ride (which is fairly aggressive). I cranked the bottom out all the way in and methodically increased main valve pressure to 290 and boost valve at 160. I was scared to go beyond 290, and anything past 160 in the bv lost whatever sensitivity was left. These things leverage to put more stress on the fork, and I pumped it up to 100 psi to find the even feel I prefer.

Less than three weeks after the purchase, I'm still fine tuning my settings. Over the Thanksgiving holiday, I'm leisurely riding and decide that my fork rebound is a bit too harsh. I go to dial it back and the knob spins freely and comes off. The rebound post had actually broken .25" inside the shock. After a call to Giant and Fox, the fork was sent to Fox for warranty repair...

Two weeks without my brand new bike later, my LBS calls and I pick up my bike. My friend who works there assembled it for me and said, "Hey, I sat on your bike and it seems that your shock rebound is a little low. Try cranking it up for a better feel (he had just bought the Reign X frame-only which has the same shock).

In the shop parking lot, I tried to adjust my shock rebound, but the dial wouldn't budge. I finally got it to wiggle within the "click" it was in, but it would not click out. I decreased valve pressure and rode around hoping that if I warmed up the shock it could possibly help. Nope. I cleaned it with warm water and compressed air, hoping that I might could remove some sort of dirt residue. Nope.

That was December 13- one month and two days after assembly and purchase. I'm disappointed.and trying not to be angry. I really wanted to take advantage of the holidays and do the most and best riding for myself yet. I decided to wait until after the holidays to deal with the manufacturers. It didn't really matter, though. The Thursday before Christmas, I got off work early and raked the length of the trail I wanted to film the next day after shoveling for a few hours and adding the finishing touches to a new jump and berm we had started two weeks before. Who knew that shoveling moist clay dirt in rubber boots for a few hours would bludgeon your foot so bad? That night, I couldn't even walk and rain pushed in earlier than expected and I spend my Christmas holiday stuck on the couch.

Back to the shock.... I called Fox and explained my problems with their suspension. I asked for advice on how to fix the shock. They said I should just send it in. I explained that I had already been without my bike because the fork had to be rebuilt after less than a month of appropriate use. I wanted a new fork then, but they declined. I explained that after issues with both their fork and now their shock, I had lost confidence in my new bike and wanted them to replace the shock instead of rebuilding mine. I feel that is an appropriate measure after spending so much money and having the problems I've had with their suspension. The Fox tech's manager wouldn't allow that and they told me they would "flag" the shock for immediate service upon arrival and expedited shipping.

The shock went out to them today. Maybe, after they fix and service it, it will perform the way I've heard other fans of the shock describe.

I had really hoped that Giant and Fox would be more willing to stand up for their products and do a bit more to help me out with my BRAND NEW bike. I'm really disappointed with Fox Racing Shocks. The enchanted love affair I immediately had with my Reign X is gone. Now, I just worry while I'm riding that something will fail. I'm definitely feeling a bit timid to ride how I'd like to and am capable.

Have you heard of similar stories? Has anything like this happened to you? Like I said before, I'm looking for some wisdom or commiseration. I just don't like feeling confused as to why this is happening. It doesn't seem normal.
    Last edited by PeytonP; 01-04-2012 at 09:49 AM.

Doesnt ride Banshees
    Why would Fox or Giant just give you new shocks? The bike industry isn't LL Bean.

It sounds like you should be riding a coil rear shock from the settings you described. Either you're a very large guy, or are doing Faith-worthy freeriding on a Reign X with air shocks. In any case, I'm not entirely surprised you had adjustment failures with settings like that on your rear shock, with nearly every setting it has cranked to the max... I'd be pleased it's getting flagged for immediate service, and covered under warranty.

mtbr member
    I'm not doing Crankworks slope style runs or World Cup DH tracks. The product description is: "EXTREME TRAILS DEMAND EXTREME CONFIDENCE. STEEP DROPS, SLICK ROOTS, LOOSE ROCKS—REIGN SUPREME WITH REIGN X.
    FRAME DESIGN

Bolstered by 6.7 inches of active Maestro Suspension travel and a FluidForm ALUXX SL aluminum frameset, Reign X is your steady companion when the going gets rough. It’s strong enough to tame aggressive all-mountain terrain and light enough to climb the steeps. Stable geometry, a tapered OverDrive 2 headtube and air or oil shock-compatible shock mounts make Reign X the master of all terrain."

Maybe I'm a fatty at an athletic 6'3" and 210lbs, but I feel as though in riding within those bounds. I have seen guys hit much bigger things than I have with this bike (bikeradars's first ride video in August).

It's not the fashion industry, it's the mountain bike industry- where your life depends on your gear. When you drop thousnds of dollars, you expect your gear to perform as billed and for companies to stand by their product and consumers.

I'm happy they are servicing the shock under warranty, but I hope that others are t having to deal with the same issues.

BLAH BLAH
    Mar 2008
    Bummer your having a hard time, I would chalk it up to bad luck. Not sure what your expect from Giant but Fox seems to be doing you pretty good IMO. Expecting a new one is a bit much, maybe if you just bought it aftermarket. It sucks when things fail but at least they are trying, some companies just ignore you.
    Whats this line for?

mtbr member
    That's some bad luck. I'd be bummed as well. I (knock on wood) have only have one issue with Fox. I bought a new bike with Float Forks. Bought it home, set up the suspension, started gearing up and heard a POP. Looked over and the seal had blown out from the top of the lower leg. I pushed it back in and air'd it up again. It held for about an hour into my ride and POP, same thing. I called Fox and they said it was no biggie to warranty it (probably a nicked seal) and it would take two weeks. But, I got very lucky when the shop I bought it from just gave me a new fork and they had it warrantied instead. I'm sure that is way above and beyond what was normal. They just had a few of the exact models there. Good luck and let us know the outcome. Giant and Fox are both great companies. I'm sure they'll figure something out.
    2012 Anthem X 29er in the build process
    2010 Diamondback Mission

mtbr member
    Thanks. It is a bummer, indeed. I know it sounds like I'm just whining and asking too much, but I've ridden the bike only a handful of times. A month old bike shouldn't have those types of problems.

I'm glad they're taking the measures to fix it. They could just tell me that I'm out of luck and I'd have to pay. The fork has always felt great, even though the rebound post broke. The shock, on the other hand, has never performed the way I expected. Maybe there was a problem off the line? I'm anxious to see if it performs much better after they get their hands on it.

I'm still a huge fan of Giant. I'm in love with the Reign X frame. Their adjustable seatpost is awesome and their wide AM bar is nice, too. I've beaten their low end Brass to hell and back and I still can't believe it's handled half the stuff I've ridden. I guess that's why I'm so surprised by what's been happening to this new bike.

bacon! bacon! bacon!
    Yup - coil shock and swap out your Fox for a RS Lyrik.

Fox ain't all that fabulous IMO.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by SkaredShtles View Post
    Yup - coil shock and swap out your Fox for a RS Lyrik.

Fox ain't all that fabulous IMO.
    I guess that All Mountain is too ambiguous. When labeling a bike as such, is it a hardcore XC build or a very light DH/FR rig that you can actually pedal uphill? I asked around and read a lot from other riders concerning the Reign X. What I found formed some grand illusions as to what it could handle.

The long travel air shock setup seems to be for guys who want to pedal up the mountain slowly and descend quickly, but without getting both wheels off the ground very much.

I'll definitely go with a coil when the time comes

mtbr member
    sounds like bad luck on the Fox stuff. I ran the DHX air on my RX for awhile and never had any problems with it and I logged some decent air miles with it, but YMMV. as far as what to expect in terms of service, I'd say your best bet is to talk the LBS that sold you the bike if you have any more problems. they are the ones who may be willing to give you a new product and deal with the warranty themselves, more likely than Fox would be IMO.

Te mortuo heres tibi sim?
    Quote Originally Posted by PeytonP View Post
    I guess that All Mountain is too ambiguous. When labeling a bike as such, is it a hardcore XC build or a very light DH/FR rig that you can actually pedal uphill? I asked around and read a lot from other riders concerning the Reign X. What I found formed some grand illusions as to what it could handle.

The long travel air shock setup seems to be for guys who want to pedal up the mountain slowly and descend quickly, but without getting both wheels off the ground very much.

I'll definitely go with a coil when the time comes
    Nah, it's just that the DHX-A is a crappy air shock in comparison to some of the other air stuff out there now.

Very, very happy with the Monarch RT3 on both my Trance-X and Reign-X.

Hell, you can even get their stuff now direct, tuned, from PUSH.
    Florence Nightingale's Stormtrooper

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by scrublover View Post
    Nah, it's just that the DHX-A is a crappy air shock in comparison to some of the other air stuff out there now.

Hell, you can even get their stuff now direct, tuned, from PUSH.
    If you don't mind me asking, how much do you weigh and what year model Reign X do you have?

bacon! bacon! bacon!

This. The DHX-4 air I had on my Reign sucked. Coil improved things dramatically. I also had a chance to run a RS Revelation on my Reign last fall - again... vast improvement over the Fox 32 I have currently.

The Fox stuff just ain't all that fabulous.

MTB B'dos
    Seems from your new bike thread that your ReignX has the DHX with a high volume air sleeve, you might want to try a normal air sleeve and see if that helps. Check out this thread about the DHX DHX Air 5.0 set up
    One day your life will flash before your eyes, will it be worth watching??
    MTB Barbados
    My Phantom pics

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by LyNx View Post
    Seems from your new bike thread that your ReignX has the DHX with a high volume air sleeve, you might want to try a normal air sleeve and see if that helps. Check out this thread about the DHX DHX Air 5.0 set up
    Lol I've been on that thread already! We followed all of those steps in the shop the day I purchased the bike, which was the day it was finally delivered and assembled. I was more comfortable with around (approx.) 25% sag. Based on other reviews of the shock, I had previously determined that I would need to run the shock at more psi than the average rider and it turned out to be correct. I'm 210 lbs and I blow through travel easily. My buddy bought ordered his frame at the same time and he has to run his shock at a higher pressure, too. He's 180 lbs, though. He's a mechanic at my LBS and has been riding for years and years. We're both stumped. It's not like we're jumping 20ft rollers or dropping 10 ft (although we sure would like to).

bacon! bacon! bacon!
    Lol I've been on that thread already! We followed all of those steps in the shop the day I purchased the bike, which was the day it was finally delivered and assembled. I was more comfortable with around (approx.) 25% sag. Based on other reviews of the shock, I had previously determined that I would need to run the shock at more psi than the average rider and it turned out to be correct. I'm 210 lbs and I blow through travel easily. My buddy bought ordered his frame at the same time and he has to run his shock at a higher pressure, too. He's 180 lbs, though. He's a mechanic at my LBS and has been riding for years and years. We're both stumped. It's not like we're jumping 20ft rollers or dropping 10 ft (although we sure would like to).
    I got a Vanilla-R coil shock for $90. Best bang-for-the-buck upgrade on my bike. I got it 'cause I really disliked the DHX-4 air and despite my best efforts couldn't get it to feel/perform decently. Added bonus with the Van-R is that I don't have to screw with anything other than rebound... it just works.

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    Peyton it sucks you're having all these issue's. I really feel your pain as I went through the same bull with my LBS, Giant, and Marzocchi. I'm not gonna go and ***** and moan in here as it's pretty much your same story. I just bite the bullet and replaced the fork, ironically with a 2011 Marzocchi, and I must say I love it. The bike feels totally different now, way more confidence inspiring.

The way I've come to look at buying complete's, especially the lower end X1/X2, is they're platforms to build the bike how you want it. I've replaced the fork, drivetrain, handlebars, saddle, and I'm still not finished.

Don't loose faith in your bike, it really is an awesome bike, mine still puts a **** eating grin on my face every time I take it out.

mtbr member
    Sean, thanks for the positive perspective. It sucks, but I guess it's a way of sifting parts and figuring out what works and what doesn't- all for the end result of building a better bike.

I'll try to think of it that way instead of staying mad. I'm sure it will be a lot better once I have a shock back on the bike and can ride again.

If you don't mind me asking, how much do you weigh and what year model Reign X do you have?

I'm about 180# all geared up on the bike. A 2011 frame, built up with my own stuff. Ditched the DHX-A after a couple rides for a Rock Shox Monarch RT3. Better feeling in every respect, right away, with minimal tweaking required.

FWIW, running the same model shock on my Trance-X, and it feels awesome on there as well.

mtbr member
    Dec 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by SkaredShtles View Post
    This. I also had a chance to run a RS Revelation on my Reign last fall - again... vast improvement over the Fox 32 I have currently.

The Fox stuff just ain't all that fabulous.
    Different to my experience IMHO. Fox Float better over multiple sharp edge hits, small bump compliance and big hits . Rev uses travel too easily. Can't do any tuning to Rev besides oil weight. Float you can tune with oil and air volumes in addition to oil weight.

Rev's great if you stick to the big fat mid range on flat hits and jumps, rolling hits like brake moguls.. Rides higher with less brake dive for picking your way down steep technical terrain.
    Last edited by gvs_nz; 01-09-2012 at 12:54 PM.

mtbr member
    Dec 2009
    I'm about 180# all geared up on the bike. A 2011 frame, built up with my own stuff. Ditched the DHX-A after a couple rides for a Rock Shox Monarch RT3. Better feeling in every respect, right away, with minimal tweaking required.

FWIW, running the same model shock on my Trance-X, and it feels awesome on there as well.
    Been running RT3 and RP23's of various sleeve sizes and tunes over several of my bikes.
    Both have completely different ride feel and suit some bikes and riding styles compared to others.

RP23, especially boost valve is much plusher and progressive with less mid range. Very similar to their forks.Well suited for less progressive suspension. The RT3 is firmer all the way through. Starchy is how some describe it . Its very linear so blows through it's travel easier. Ideal for more progressive suspension.

The Trance x is not super progressive or linear. I like the RT3 on my Trance x if I want a racy , starchy efficient snappy ride.It rides higher and gives the bike more pop off berms and jumps.
    At the expense of pedalling efficiency and playfulness, I like the RP23 if I want a more supple, eat everything ride with more control descending over rough ground.

Each is different. Just depends what you want in the bike.

mtbr member
    Dec 2009
    I have had nothing but trouble with my brand new Fox suspension hardware. I've seen and heard such great things from Fox and I'm confused. Do I have a bad batch? Are their new products prone to fault? Did I make a huge mistake in buying a bike with their parts?
    Here's my story. I'm looking for some advice or commiseration. Maybe there are others experiencing the same issues?

I bought a 2012 Giant Reign X1 on November 11. You may have seen my thread with pictures and such. I set the Fox 36 Float R Performance fork at 80 psi and the Fox DHX Air 5.0 shock at 250-150 with bottom out cranked in halfway.

My first rides were laid back and the bike felt infinitely plush. I was completely stoked. I have never ridden anything comparable. I felt like I had woken up from this bad dream and now I was finally mountain biking as it was meant to be. As I felt more at home, I began to push the speed and airs to the level at which I normally ride (which is fairly aggressive). I cranked the bottom out all the way in and methodically increased main valve pressure to 290 and boost valve at 160. I was scared to go beyond 290, and anything past 160 in the bv lost whatever sensitivity was left. These things leverage to put more stress on the fork, and I pumped it up to 100 psi to find the even feel I prefer.

Less than three weeks after the purchase, I'm still fine tuning my settings. Over the Thanksgiving holiday, I'm leisurely riding and decide that my fork rebound is a bit too harsh. I go to dial it back and the knob spins freely and comes off. The rebound post had actually broken .25" inside the shock. After a call to Giant and Fox, the fork was sent to Fox for warranty repair...

Two weeks without my brand new bike later, my LBS calls and I pick up my bike. My friend who works there assembled it for me and said, "Hey, I sat on your bike and it seems that your shock rebound is a little low. Try cranking it up for a better feel (he had just bought the Reign X frame-only which has the same shock).

In the shop parking lot, I tried to adjust my shock rebound, but the dial wouldn't budge. I finally got it to wiggle within the "click" it was in, but it would not click out. I decreased valve pressure and rode around hoping that if I warmed up the shock it could possibly help. Nope. I cleaned it with warm water and compressed air, hoping that I might could remove some sort of dirt residue. Nope.

That was December 13- one month and two days after assembly and purchase. I'm disappointed.and trying not to be angry. I really wanted to take advantage of the holidays and do the most and best riding for myself yet. I decided to wait until after the holidays to deal with the manufacturers. It didn't really matter, though. The Thursday before Christmas, I got off work early and raked the length of the trail I wanted to film the next day after shoveling for a few hours and adding the finishing touches to a new jump and berm we had started two weeks before. Who knew that shoveling moist clay dirt in rubber boots for a few hours would bludgeon your foot so bad? That night, I couldn't even walk and rain pushed in earlier than expected and I spend my Christmas holiday stuck on the couch.

Back to the shock.... I called Fox and explained my problems with their suspension. I asked for advice on how to fix the shock. They said I should just send it in. I explained that I had already been without my bike because the fork had to be rebuilt after less than a month of appropriate use. I wanted a new fork then, but they declined. I explained that after issues with both their fork and now their shock, I had lost confidence in my new bike and wanted them to replace the shock instead of rebuilding mine. I feel that is an appropriate measure after spending so much money and having the problems I've had with their suspension. The Fox tech's manager wouldn't allow that and they told me they would "flag" the shock for immediate service upon arrival and expedited shipping.

The shock went out to them today. Maybe, after they fix and service it, it will perform the way I've heard other fans of the shock describe.

I had really hoped that Giant and Fox would be more willing to stand up for their products and do a bit more to help me out with my BRAND NEW bike. I'm really disappointed with Fox Racing Shocks. The enchanted love affair I immediately had with my Reign X is gone. Now, I just worry while I'm riding that something will fail. I'm definitely feeling a bit timid to ride how I'd like to and am capable.

Have you heard of similar stories? Has anything like this happened to you? Like I said before, I'm looking for some wisdom or commiseration. I just don't like feeling confused as to why this is happening. It doesn't seem normal.
    So what do you want us to do about it. Sounds like your already being looked after under warranty.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by gvs_nz View Post
    So what do you want us to do about it. Sounds like your already being looked after under warranty.
    I guess I wasn't clear, due to the rambling. I finished that post with:

"Have you heard of similar stories? Has anything like this happened to you? Like I said before, I'm looking for some wisdom or commiseration. I just don't like feeling confused as to why this is happening. It doesn't seem normal."

Everyone has been really helpful, either in sharing their own aggravation with a similar problem or offering advice and experience, like yours, with other shocks. It's been helpful and encouraging, and that's what I was hoping for.

Quote Originally Posted by gvs_nz View Post
    Been running RT3 and RP23's of various sleeve sizes and tunes over several of my bikes.
    Both have completely different ride feel and suit some bikes and riding styles compared to others.

RP23, especially boost valve is much plusher and progressive with less mid range. Very similar to their forks.Well suited for less progressive suspension. The RT3 is firmer all the way through. Starchy is how some describe it . Its very linear so blows through it's travel easier. Ideal for more progressive suspension.

The Trance x is not super progressive or linear. I like the RT3 on my Trance x if I want a racy , starchy efficient snappy ride.It rides higher and gives the bike more pop off berms and jumps.
    At the expense of pedalling efficiency and playfulness, I like the RP23 if I want a more supple, eat everything ride with more control descending over rough ground.

Each is different. Just depends what you want in the bike.
    To each their own. I've spent a fair bit of time on a few RP variations, and DHX-A models, and far, far prefer the RS air shocks. In fast chunky stuff as well as slow speed trialsy stuff, and fast haul ass smooth stuff.

mtbr member
    haha I like riding all of that stuff

I got the Reign X because it seemed to be the most aggressive bike that I could still pedal uphill. The closest lift access is 16 hours away. That means, though I like to build jumps, find drops, and ride the craziest lines I can find, the majority of my riding is on tight singletrack with equal parts decent/ascent.

Even though the bike works well enough uphill and bombing back down, the DHX-A doesn't hold up on the jumps and drops along the way. Again, maybe it's because I'm 210lbs. I'm blowing through travel even with pressures pushing close to max.

I wish I could test ride RS shocks on similar suspension. Bigger bikes are very hard to find in East Texas.

mtbr member
    I have no idea if this would help but have you thought about having them Pushed while you're down anyways?
    2012 Anthem X 29er in the build process
    2010 Diamondback Mission

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast