mtbr member
    Apr 2004

Problems with Avids on VT2

Anybody have problems with their Avids? I have had the worst luck. Without a doubt, part of it is due to my lack of mechanical sense. But explain to me why the bike has been in my lbs 6 times and I am still having problems. My biggest problem is drag on the rear brake. It seems like I am always adjusting then re-adjusting. Once I get the rear wheel spinning freely and with acceptable drag (have never ridden them without some sort of annoying drag which my lbs says is normal), it all gets ruined with one touch of the levers. More drag. I have learned to live with the squeal which helps me call out to hikers or other bikers that I am coming. But I just can't get them adjusted hassle free. Would rather ride than wrench. So, I know this isn't much to go on but I have replaced cables, pads and even the calipers at least once. Have pleaded for my lbs to fix them. No such luck. If you have that one golden rule that makes them work, I am all ears.

jessej
    Apr 2004
    I would'nt consider myself an expert but here's what I usually do.

First you want to put brand new pads in, cause if you try to dial in the calliper with old ones they may be worn unevenly and throw your calliper out of parallel with the rotor. Then turn the adjustment knobs in the untill they hardley touch the rotor(having the mounting screws loosened while doing this) then squeeze the hand brake. this will align the calliper with the rotor perfectly. while squeezing, tighten the mounting screws to the torque specs, can't remember off hand what they are, then back off the inside adjuster three or four clicks and adjust the outside adjuster until the desired hand brake pressure is put on the rotor then spin the tire and adjust the inside or outside adjusters as needed

hope that helps.

XC rider/racer

Squeal...

Basically the squealing is caused by dirt and other contaminants on the surface of the disc rotor...its easily fixed by either using a commercial disc cleaning spray (available from your LBS), or by cleaning it with some isopropyl alcohol <--used in wet video cassette cleaning systems, or do as i do and simply use a product called Isocol (from your local chemist its an antiseptic) which contains 60% isopropyl alcohol and works fine.
    As for adjusting Avid mech discs...i simply wind the red adjusters till they touch the disc, then tighten up the brake cable, then wind out the red adjusters to a comfortable setting.
    Hope this helps.
    Cheers

jessej
    Apr 2004

Hope

I've heard If you have to take a leak on the trail, don't waste it on the dirt use it to clean of your rotors and pads

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    Thanks for all three replies. I never thought to start over with new pads. Also I have not tried centering the rotor by tightening the cable. And I don't think I am going to pee on my bike. But it has conjured up a good idea to go relieve myself right on the sales floor of my lbs. Will see if any of it works.

jessej
    Apr 2004
    hey, just kidding about peeing on your bike ha ha ha. The smell would probably get to ya worse than the brake drag.

Get your freak on!
    Dec 2003
    Trying out a different LBS might also be a good idea. But try fix it yourself before you go into another store.