mtbr member
    Feb 2007

Press-fit BB questions

Hey guys ... these question may be better on a different forum, but since I am considering buying a Giant frame I thought I'd ask here. If you have links to other forums with more info on the subject feel free to post them.

(1) What has been your experience with pressed-fit BB's compared to the threaded X-Type BB? (For example: is it a better design, are there any reliability issues, etc?)

(2) What make/model is the current press-fit BB being used on the Trance X?

(3) Any indication if Giant will be sticking with this design, or will be reverting to the threaded BB shell for 2013?

Thanks,
    M.
    Last edited by MacGiv'er; 08-02-2012 at 10:26 AM.

KC Weekend Warrior
    I have had my Trance for about a month, got about a 100 miles on it and the thing is creaking like an old rocking chair - taking it to my LBS (Epic Bike & Sport in KC - shout out) to have them de-creakify it.
    '12 Giant Trance X1, Mavic Crossride Wheels, StansTubeless, SPD Pedals

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    They seem to last around the same amountof time as a normal bb and are lighter, plus you can gain some stiffness in the frame due to wider bb shell. On the downside, you can't remove them to drain water from a frame without risking damage, unless there are iscg tabs on the frame you can't fit any 2 by guide and you need a press to install them.

KC Weekend Warrior
    Turns out my creaking was loose linkage NOT the BB...
    '12 Giant Trance X1, Mavic Crossride Wheels, StansTubeless, SPD Pedals