Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Post your hardtail Giants

401K views 880 replies 428 participants last post by  cacacab 
#1 ·
If you have a hard tail Giant, show it some love by posting its pics and specs :thumbsup:

#35 ·
Great rides everyone... Here's my 05' XTC2 "race-bike"...

XTC2 Carbon Frame
Fox F80 RL fork
Race Face Dues XC carbon seatpost
Race Face lock-on grips
Easton 120mm magnesium stem
Easton EC-70 carbon flat bars
Shimano XTR hydro brakes
Shimano XTR pedals
Shimano XT crank and BB
Shimano XT front d
Shimano XT cassette
SRAM xo trigger shifters
SRAM xo rear d
Crossmax SL's

With the big tires pictured, it's at 22.5 lbs. With my current dry conditions 'racing' tires, it sits at 21.78 pounds.

#38 · (Edited)
xctofi said:
edm747 - i think an STP or a Boulder frame would be better for the fork and 8 inch rotors you got up front. the XtC is a race/XC frame not a DJ/DH frame. just my .02
Yes, I know. That's why I got an XtC frame, to do some XCR riding. I just salvaged that front end from my old set-up which I had to let go off. My XC700 is on back-order, so instead of waiting for it, I just slapped in the old front first. :D Thanks for the heads-up though xctofi. :thumbsup:

Oh btw, the 8" rotor stays, even for XCR duties. I'd gladly sacrifice a little more weight just to have the better feel and brake modulation I wanted, that the bigger rotor gives. But that's just me, thinking out loud. :D

#39 · (Edited)
Dedicated race bike. 04 hybrid(carbon stays). Frame was bought cheap off Ebay 2 seasons ago. Been an awesome race bike. No plans to replace it.

19lb 14oz as shown.

3lb 32mm Noleen fork. Stans Olympic wheels(yellow tape and sealant only). Stans rotor with ti rotorbolts. Formula B4Pros with all alum hardware. Extralite post. Flite TT. MaxM MX5 carbon bar. Syntace F99 stem. Foam grips. Action Tec titanium taper square BB, ti crankbolts, RF Next LP carbon/alum cranks w/ 42-30-22 5 bolt compacts w/ alum hardware. Twin Ti Eggs. XTR11-34. XTR RD/FD. XTR chain. 100% ti/alum hardware.

#41 ·

just finished it yesterday :thumbsup:

07 Giant XtC team frame
06 Rock Shox Reba SL
Truvativ Team bar,stem and seatpost
Truvativ FireX Team cranks
SRAM X7 triggers.FD,RD
Avid SL levers
Avid BB7 discs
SRAM PG990 11-32 cogs
SRAM PC 991 Hollow pin chain
m540 pedals
Alligator shifter cables/housing
Kenda Karma 2.0 tires
alex dp17,14g spokes,pivit SL hubs wheelsets....

weight : 26++

will prolly wait out a couple months to get a crossland. crossmax is just too much dough

im thinking of getting the fork legs painted to guess what (couldnt find a silver Reba here) instead of getting a fox

Hey Dantastic! i want your fork and wheelsets! lol :thumbsup: :p

#46 · (Edited)
Cadex ALM-1

I have nickel and dimed the updates to component's over the last decade. The last big updates were done in 98. I really want to do a new fork and headset, but I have yet to find the right price with moderate travel. The old Manitou still functions pretty well. I may also experiment with a rigid fork I have in my parts bin.

I have a few more pics of it here:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/soreyes/tags/cadex/

Oh, I almost forgot, specs:
Manitou Mach 5 SX with speed springs
Mavic x517 rims, dt db spokes, xt hubs
xt vbrakes
lx cranks with rock ring bash guard
sachs front, shimano lx rear, derailleurs
sachs twist shifters with ride-on cables
2.1 ground control front, 1.9 wildgripper rear tires
azonic orz stem
scott vertigo bars

#47 ·
Giant MCMU carbon composite HT

Just thought I'd add some pics to this thread. (hopefully they are attached)

I bought this bike in Feb this year, I wanted a xtc c3 but it was too expensive for me at the time. The bloke in the shop had this for nearly half price. :)

I ride it to work every day (about 3 miles) and I'm still looking for some good trails to ride it on. It's still got the kit that was on it when I bought it but I'm looking to upgrade soon.

I'm thinking of swapping the Rockshox Judys for some Rockshox Reba Race but i don't know if they can mount v-brakes (any advice would be nice).

Spec:

21.5 inch Giant mcmu frame
Shimano deore lx v-brakes and gear set.
Crane creak headset
Shimano Deore (HB M570 VIAM) wheels
FSA Alpha drive crank

Although I've been riding bike since i was 5 this is my first serious bike, I'm a bit of a noob when it comes to mountain biking but I'm learning fast.
I will eventually be getting a FS bike (probably a Reign or Trance) as they are dirt cheap over here.
Any advice about upgrades for this bike (my HT), links to a proper spec sheet (can't find one on the net, or any advice about mountain biking in Taiwan would also be appreciated. :thumbsup:

Cheers :)

Attachments

#50 ·
Okay, here are my terrible twins. I usually have a smile on my face with either of these between my legs. ;) :D

Both bikes have gone through a number of builds. I have had the XTC for many years, and is mainly used for general trail riding / endurance racing. I've just finished a fresh component build, but there are still a few bits and pieces I need to finish her off. She still needs Fork / Seatpost / Pedals and that will probably be the last time I build this frame up I think. It's been a great bike. :thumbsup:

The STP was purchased to learn to dirt jump and ride trials on, but it spent over a year setup with clipless pedals and a 32 by 16 gear ratio to be used as a general trail bike. Its way too small, but as a result it's incredibly easy to throw around and is an absolute hoot to ride. I've done everything from urban drops and street riding to long trail rides, 12 hour endurance races and long road miles on this bike. :D

Dave.

The Race Rocket:

The Play Toy:

#52 ·
marcusthecarcus said:
Fresh from the box - stock at the moment. Any suggestions for component/parts upgrades would be fantastic.
Danm, already built up. I wish someone could give us a weight on the Talon/Alias frame :(

My first upgrade on the Talon was to Avid Juicy 7 brakes; I also have an XTR/Mavic XC717 wheelset for racing, using Larsens/Crossmarks. The next upgrades are Easton EC70 Seatposts and EC70 Monkeylite handlebars - should be here by the end of the week, early next week at the latest. After that I'll be putting a Manitou R7 on it.

Current weight with the XTR wheelset is I think about 11.8. The R7 should bring it to just over 11. The Tora is a 2.4kg fork - heavy. And the Rhyno Lites... not so light.

#55 ·
1998 ATX 890 Tomac frame

This is mine, 1998 ATX 890 John Tomac frame. Oldie, but a goodie! Pic sucks, taken with my cell phone.

XT Crank, FD and cassette, SRAM X9 RD and XO Grippers, Crossmax ST's with Michelin UST tires, Single Digit 9's.

Also have a 2006 XTC C2 composite frame I was going to build, but I think I'm going to sell it. Too small for me.

Brg,
Jeff

Attachments

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.