Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Post your hardtail Giants

401K views 880 replies 428 participants last post by  cacacab 
#1 ·
If you have a hard tail Giant, show it some love by posting its pics and specs :thumbsup:

#86 ·
thats at least three of us on here with the exact same frame radare think your the first to build it up though. mines still in bits in my room.

what size frame? fork travel? seatpost length? and how big are you?? sorry for the questions jst still getting parts for mine, and looking at seatpost length at the min along with stem length.

you ridden it since the pics? how was it. looks good. not too sure on risers and bar ends though. sorry.

#87 ·
disco_stu said:
thats at least three of us on here with the exact same frame radare think your the first to build it up though. mines still in bits in my room.

what size frame? fork travel? seatpost length? and how big are you?? sorry for the questions jst still getting parts for mine, and looking at seatpost length at the min along with stem length.

you ridden it since the pics? how was it. looks good. not too sure on risers and bar ends though. sorry.
I am 6'0" tall and weigh in at just over 150 lbs. The frame is the 19" (M) version of the XTC Team (Taiwan). I'm running a Black Platinum fork with 100mm of travel. The seatpost is a 350mm version, 30.9 mm (I'm afraid to use adapters with the thin aluminum of the frame).

Here is what I used for the initial build:
-------------------------------------------------------
Frame: Giant XTC Team 19" Medium
Fork: Manitou Black Platinum 100mm (Steerer tube cut to 8.5")
Headset: Cane Creek IS-6 w/ carbon spacers and topcap
Stem: Kore lite, 105 mm w/ 10 degree rise
Bars: Titec Hellbent XC, uncut
Grips: Cane Creek
Bar Ends: Scott Nightstix
Wheelset: Ritchey OCR Disc w/ XT Centerlock Hubs
Tires: Panaracer Fire XC Pro
Brakes: Hayes MX-2 mechanical
Rotors: Shimano XT Centerlock
Shifters: Shimano XT Rapidfire w/ dual release (M760)
Front Derailleur: Shimano XT (M760), 34.9 clamp
Rear Derailleur: SHimano XT (M760) Normal Low
Chain: Shimano HG-93
Cassette: SRAM PG990 (this may be temporary)
Crankset: Shimano XT (M760) w/ Hollowtech 2 BB
Pedals: Crankbrothers Candy C
Cables: Avid Flakjacket
Seatpost: SETTE APX 30.9mm
Seat: Selle Italia Trans AM Fokus

The bike weighs in at just over 21 lbs, even with the disc brake setup. I have put about 35 miles on the bike, since building it, though mostly on smooth singletrack (no bouldering or logs yet as I'm still breaking it in) and it rides well. It's a shorter frame than my Rockhopper and corners like it's on rails. The frame feels great too, more like the old Cromoly frames than I had expected.

Don't worry about not liking the riser bars or ends; those sort of things are a matter of taste. I mostly ride long singletrack rides (20 to 40 miles at a time) and the slight sweep of the bars really helps reduce hand numbness.

#88 ·
thanks for taking the time to post all of that, i appreciate it. definatley helps seeing what other people are doing with the same frame.

haven't posted pictures of mine yet, but its identical to the one posted on the page before but with 80mm forks instead.

here (apologies for the pic);

#89 ·
disco_stu said:
thanks for taking the time to post all of that, i appreciate it. definatley helps seeing what other people are doing with the same frame.

haven't posted pictures of mine yet, but its identical to the one posted on the page before but with 80mm forks instead.

here (apologies for the pic);
Thanks for the picture; looks very familiar :D. I'm planning on riding the 100mm Black for a while but setting a bit aside for a Sid WorldCup 80mm fork. I just could't foot the expense for it at this time. I'm also thinking I'll ditch the Fire XC's for a slightly thinner set of Michelin Comps.

When you build up the frame, keep a file on hand to clean up the rear disc brake mount (if you go with discs) as mine had quite a thick collection of paint in this area.

#90 ·
i know the feeling, the wallet has nevr been so empty thought doing myself a second bike like this, i'd be able to gradually build it up as i go along. completly not the case! can't stop myself spending.

i'd noticed the paint on the disc mount, taking it to my LBS tommorrow anyway to get the bottom bracke shell faced, so may see if they have tool for that whilst i;m down there.

will keep the thread updated anyway as i progress

Jon.

#91 ·
over 21lbs???!

radare said:
I am 6'0" tall and weigh in at just over 150 lbs. The frame is the 19" (M) version of the XTC Team (Taiwan). I'm running a Black Platinum fork with 100mm of travel. The seatpost is a 350mm version, 30.9 mm (I'm afraid to use adapters with the thin aluminum of the frame).

Frame: Giant XTC Team 19" Medium
Fork: Manitou Black Platinum 100mm (Steerer tube cut to 8.5")
Headset: Cane Creek IS-6 w/ carbon spacers and topcap
Stem: Kore lite, 105 mm w/ 10 degree rise
Bars: Titec Hellbent XC, uncut
Grips:
Pedals: Crankbrothers Candy C
Cables: Avid Flakjacket
Seatpost: SETTE APX 30.9mm

The bike weighs in at just over 21 lbs, even with the disc brake setup.
:confused: Really?! :confused: :eek:

this is what i have and i cant even break the 24 pound mark.

07 Giant XtC team frame (Size 21)
06 Rock Shox Reba SL
Truvativ Team bar,stem and seatpost
Truvativ FireX Team cranks
07 SRAM X7 triggers.FD,RD
07 Avid SL levers
Avid BB7 discs
SRAM PG990 11-32 cogs
SRAM PC 991 Hollow pin chain
Exustar E-PM25 pedals
Alligator brake/shifter cables/housing
Kenda Nevegals 1.95 front Karma 2.0 tires rear
Selle Italia Initiale saddle
alex dp17,14g spokes,pivit SL hubs wheelsets....

what am i doing wrong :madman:

#92 · (Edited)
radare said:

The bike weighs in at just over 21 lbs, even with the disc brake setup. ...
I seriously have to doubt that 21lbs, the parts I've left listed in the quote are boat anchors! I mean seriously, there's nothing lightweight on that thing - how the hell can it be 21lbs. Even my full XTR build with an R7 comes in at 22lbs. Admittedly I have an M750 crankset for now, which is 1.1kg with the BB, but changing that to an XTR would only just get it to ~21lbs (9.6kg).

Of course, if I'm wrong, nice work!

Edit: here's a link to the spreadsheet with my build
http://zero.racetime.com.au/files/bikeparts.xls

#93 ·
""what am i doing wrong"..

Nothing. Theres absolutely no way that bike weighs 21lbs with the components listed. Zero chance. I'd be checking the scale. Good looking bike tho.

#94 ·
My comments in Italics
xctofi said:
this is what i have and i cant even break the 24 pound mark.

07 Giant XtC team frame (Size 21)
Add a few (100)g for a 21 over a 19
Truvativ Team bar,stem and seatpost
A Syntace F99 will save 30g here, 10g if you go to a Ritchey WCS
Truvativ FireX Team cranks
There's 1-200g there by going to an XT or XTR (M760, M770 or M970)
07 SRAM X7 triggers.FD,RD
XTRs will get you another 40g
07 Avid SL levers
Avid BB7 discs
SRAM PG990 11-32 cogs
SRAM cassettes are boat anchors, though I must admit I've considered going to a PG990 myself. 290g vs 265g for an XT, 240g for an XTR 11-14, 224g for an XTR 11-32
SRAM PC 991 Hollow pin chain
Exustar E-PM25 pedals
Alligator brake/shifter cables/housing
Kenda Nevegals 1.95 front Karma 2.0 tires rear
These things are like 640g each! That's more than Hutch Barracuda or Michelin XC! Obviously tyre choice depends on terrain - *most* of the time I'm now running Maxxis Crossmark eXCeptions - they're 480g each - that's 150g to save in rotating weight
Selle Italia Initiale saddle
Swap to a Selle Italia SLR and you've saved what, 200g? That's half a pound right there!
alex dp17,14g spokes,pivit SL hubs wheelsets....

what am i doing wrong :madman:
Do any of these comments help? I know I've picked on things like 30g, but when you think of it as 5 components at 30g each, that's a half pound saving.
Just some things to consider.

#95 ·
akashra said:
My comments in Italics

Do any of these comments help? I know I've picked on things like 30g, but when you think of it as 5 components at 30g each, that's a half pound saving.
Just some things to consider.
they sure do help :thumbsup: wanted to go for a 2nd hand SID WC to cut down on weight more but im afraid they're gonna be too noodley for a 6ft 175 lbs rider.

but did you notice,i dont have any Shimano parts? SRAM stuff all the way! :thumbsup: true they are not the lightest but they sure work and are made better than Shimano's IMO. and the exceptional customer care SRAM gives is another topic.

the weight of the other bike just caught my attention specially having a Manitou Black fork. :rolleyes: :skep:

#96 ·
xctofi said:
they sure do help :thumbsup: wanted to go for a 2nd hand SID WC to cut down on weight more but im afraid they're gonna be too noodley for a 6ft 175 lbs rider.
I was originally going to get a SID World Cup, but Some Guy talked me out of it. What got me was how noodly they are, and he's probably 10lbs lighter than me (I'm around 145lbs).
I'm just disappointed that the R7 I bought has VBrake bosses on it, wasting about 40g and sticking out/looking ugly.

xctofi said:
but did you notice,i dont have any Shimano parts? SRAM stuff all the way! :thumbsup: true they are not the lightest but they sure work and are made better than Shimano's IMO. and the exceptional customer care SRAM gives is another topic.
I must admit, I do like SRAM chains. I'm also tempted to go to a PG990 after my M970 cassette wears out - at the very most I'll go to an M760 cassette, as the extra $100 for XTR just isn't worth it.

But I do honestly believe my Talon shifts better with the SRAM PG950 cassette and PC970 chain than with an M970 cassette and HG93 chain.

#99 ·
Argh. Well, looks like it's going to be a while until mine gets built now - after getting the stem and handlebars ordered this morning, what I thought were the last parts on the list, I picked up my new rim - or should I say a new rim. But it's the rim brake version, so it looks ugly as... and it's significantly heavier - not the part I had ordered :(

I know it might seem overly picky, but seriously, if I'm building it properly I want the right parts.

#101 ·
Though not a World Cup, but this is the general look/geometry of an XtC frame with the skinny 80mm SID. :thumbsup: Yes, it is a bit "flexy" but would work just fine on most single track in my area. The SID is light but sad to say that it only has a few more days on this frame before it gets replaced by an F100. Just waiting everyday by the window for the local FedEx guy to stop by my house. :D

Attachments

#102 ·
is an 07 STP2 worth $749.99 Canadian? theres a bike shop about 1/2 an hour from my house with that deal. i think thats around $715 American, but i'm not sure about the conversion. Are there gunna be 08 STP2's coming out like within the next 2 weeks, or are they coming out in like November?

#104 ·
newagebiker said:
is an 07 STP2 worth $749.99 Canadian? theres a bike shop about 1/2 an hour from my house with that deal. i think thats around $715 American, but i'm not sure about the conversion. Are there gunna be 08 STP2's coming out like within the next 2 weeks, or are they coming out in like November?
Yeah they normally sell for $1000 Aussie dollars.

$750 Canadian is $836 Aussie, you're getting just over 15% discount of rrp which seems a pretty reasonable deal to me.

http://www.sicbikes.com.au/en-us/pg_126.html

#108 ·
This is my 2005 Rainier built from the frame up!

My build is all parts from ebay some new and some used. The only part I did not install is the headset as the frame I bought all ready had one pressed in. Everything else was done by me with only a few minor problems, a few scraped and bloody knucles, a bunch of cursing and a few tense moments with the spouse when she tried to help.

Frame- Giant Rainier
Headset- Aheadset
Fork- Maniotu Black w/adjustable travel 80-100 (not sure what year)
Stem- Bontrager
Handlebar- Bontrager Crowbar
Crankset- Truvativ Blaze
Front Der.- SRAM Gen X
Rear Der.- SRAM X7
Shifters- SRAM X7 Triggers 8 speed
Wheelset- Sun Rhyno Lite w/ XT hubs
Cassette- SRAM PG850 11-32
Chain- SRAM PC58
Rear Brake- Gator Mechanical (so far works great with no problems)
Front Brake- Gator Mechanical
Brake Levers- Avid Speed Dial 5

Attachments

#109 ·
My XtC1

My 2005 XtC1 hardtail. I love it to bits!
It's pretty much a stock 14" XtC frame, but I've added a women's specific seat, Candys, and a black Hope QR seatclamp ;)

First pic is my bike
Second pic is me racing in the Karapoti Classic
Third pic is me racing in the New Zealand National XC Series :thumbsup:

Attachments

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.