Page 18 of 32 FirstFirst ... 8 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 28 ... LastLast
    mtbr member
    My Medium fits 5'-7" to 5'-10" so I will assume that a small will fit maybe 5'-4" to 5'-7". Being 5'-10" I'm surprised that you are tiptoed on it. Your supposed to go a size smaller rather than a size larger but I would think a small would be even more over reach. Maybe the seat was set too far forward or or the bars were set too far back. You can get a longer stem or a seatpost that angles to the rear. You should be able to adjust the bars and seat to fit your proportions and comfort level though. Plus you can use a shorter seat post or cut it to bring the seat down more. Or take the water bottle bolt out to let it drop more. I know mine hits the bolt and stops it from dropping all the way. I don't need to take it out though because I don't run my seat any lower than the point where it hits. I'm no expert on sizes though, or anything else for that matter!

I just let one RIP
    Quote Originally Posted by goodie11
    im 5 10" with 31.5" inseam
    im after an xtc but large is too big medium still feels like over reach & on extreme tiptoe touching ground with seat at its lowest.
    there seems to be a lot of small looking XTCs in this thread?
    do you guys think a small will be ok
    (cant try in store, no one stocking them)
    will buy online
    Small is too small if you're 5'10" Don't worry about standover. Reach from seat to bars is more important.

You won't be able to purchase new online - Giant does not allow dealers to sell their bikes online. But if you're looking to pick up a used one, try craigslist.
    A ride a day keeps the therapist away.

mtbr member
    Yeah, I'm almost 6ft. and my medium fits me good. I did'nt need a longer stem either. I can lower the bars but I left them higher for when I drop off large rocks and stuff. I'm surprised that the stand-over is tall for you with an over-reach at the same time. Then there are also bikes with a longer wheelbase also.

mtbr member
    Feb 2011
    medium xtc has a 59.5cm top tube
    small has 57.5, how is a small gonna make me over reach more?
    concerned about buying a medium & getting a shorter stem & it still being too long on the toptube

mtbr member
    I'm sure your reach is what you need more than your standover. Maybe angle riser bars back toward you also. Earlier in the post I was thinking ass backward about what you meant about over reach. Being 5' -10" I'm surprised the med. don't fit you.
    Last edited by Bataivah; 02-27-2011 at 09:23 AM.

mtbr member
    Feb 2011
    took everyones advice & gone for a medium
    might just have to get a shorter stem or riser bars or maybe both
    here it is 2009 XTC 1 849

mtbr member
    New picture, before a ride this week

mtbr member
    [QUOTE=goodie11]took everyones advice & gone for a medium
    might just have to get a shorter stem or riser bars or maybe both
    here it is 2009 XTC 1 849

About $1200 usd I assume. One of those All Mountain type stems will bring those bars back a good 2 inches. You'll like the frame. Light and solid! I love mine. My componants are'nt as good as yours though. The thing rips IMO.

mtbr member
    [QUOTE=sasquatch rides a SS]New picture, before a ride this week

If you live near me it won't look like that when your done riding. Mud that is! Do those bar ends help alot on the climbs?

mtbr member
    my first mountain bike in 20+ years... and yes, that's a 1x9 drivetrain and a rigid fork

(NOTE: for an updated pic look here)

Last edited by G-FOURce; 03-16-2011 at 02:36 PM.

mtbr member
    Did that come from the dealer with the 1x9? I've used the pedal cages on the road but I would'nt dare use them off road. It looks like they changed the frame since I bought mine. It's more squared at the bottom and more narrow at the seat stay. How much is factory?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Bataivah
    Did that come from the dealer with the 1x9? I've used the pedal cages on the road but I would'nt dare use them off road. It looks like they changed the frame since I bought mine. It's more squared at the bottom and more narrow at the seat stay. How much is factory?
    no, it was a frame-up build. i have no idea what the frames cost new from the factory but i bought mine, brand new and never ridded, locally from a craigslist ad. my cost on the frame was $220. i am not a terribly aggressive rider so the 1x9 is fine for me and i havent had any mishaps yet with the pedal cages, so i'll roll with 'em until they scare me.

mtbr member
    Do those bar ends help alot on the climbs?
    Heck yes they do, I use them all the time for climbing.

mtbr member
    hi all from Argentina, GFOURce ive got the same EXOTIC fork! awsome, with 1x9 drivetrain does the chain gets out from its place? very nice
    Last edited by azille; 03-01-2011 at 01:00 PM.

mtbr member
    Giant just stopped selling the 26" XTC again in the USA.
    All you can buy for 2011 is the 29er's and the composite frame advance model. No Aluxx
    frame in 26" unless you live in UK or Australia. WTF!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by sasquatch rides a SS
    Heck yes they do, I use them all the time for climbing.
    I was thinking of getting some to stop me from smashing my knuckles on trees, But I don't know if I want the extra wieght or not. Some places where I ride have trees just wide enough to get my bars through.

mtbr member

JUST SOLD THE ALLIANCE, REMARCABLE BIKES BOTH

mtbr member
    I was thinking of getting some to stop me from smashing my knuckles on trees, But I don't know if I want the extra wieght or not. Some places where I ride have trees just wide enough to get my bars through.
    Yeah they can grab some trees if you're not careful

mtbr member
    I was thinking of the one's that bend inwards to help with that fact.

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    I know its not a high dollar bike, but its mine and I love it. I switched to a 9speed everything else is stock
    Attached Images Attached Images    

mtbr member
    Nothing wrong with that bike at all! Rim brakes are'nt all weather but they are lighter than disc. You can always upgrade as parts wear out. "A lower end bike that you ride is better than a highend bike that hangs in the garage"...a wise man once said! What year and model is it? Looks pretty new.

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    it’s a 2010 Boulder. Rode last summer first time in years.
    Thanks for comment, sometimes I feel out of place on here do to the fact I didn't spend big money on it, I will continue to upgrade things as time and money allow. I have being looking to upgrade the forks, But would like to stay under about 300. any suggestions

mtbr member
    If you ride on tough trails (lots of rock & roots) I recon the fork will be the first thing to go. My XTC2 came with Dart 3 Rock Shox and I've seen them on sale for $90 last year. Dart 2 also. For the price I don't know anything better. I beat the crap out of them on very tough trails and they are still great. The pair that came on the bike was a dud and got a replacement for them under warranty. I'm sure they fixed the issue they had by now. I think they were the 08 model. So go with 09 or 10 if you can. IMO they work perfect for the money.

mtbr member
    Dart 3 w/Poploc at Pricepoint for $150. The only one close to that is the Rock Shox Tora for $190. Probably no Poploc though. Also Cambriabike has a Marzocchi for $150 with a lockout that is'nt remote but still good for the money. Also thier Recon and Tora for $200. Most other forks cost more than your bike!

mtbr member
    Just found Dart 2 on Pricepoint for $85 but they won't compare to the Dart 3. Less travel too. I personally would narrow it down to the Dart 3 or Marzocchi. Since the Dart has a Poploc (that you will love), I would go with that one. The Dart 2 is cheap but not much of an upgrade. If you do want to spend $300 then you will get something that much better for sure. You may find a $500 to $600 fork on a clearence sale for aroun $300 if your lucky. Last year I found a Magura hydraulic rear brake from 2002 for $30 dollars and I love it! Need to find one for the front now!
    Last edited by Bataivah; 03-02-2011 at 02:42 PM.

Page 18 of 32 FirstFirst ... 8 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 28 ... LastLast