Jan 2009
    Ready for my first race season.

08 XTC 1:
    2.35/2.1 SB8
    Sram X7
    Mrp 1.x
    Forte Carbon Bar
    Thompson Setback

I want a better wheelset but I'm going to save my pennies for this Felt nine elite

mtbr member
    What the hell man? No more singlespeed? naah I want to do a 1x9 to try it out too

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by sasquatch rides a SS
    What the hell man? No more singlespeed? naah I want to do a 1x9 to try it out too
    I need gears to even think about finishing the races I want to do this summer. So gears it is for now. I kept the SS stuff so it'll be single speeded again once I get another bike to keep gears on

mtbr member
    Same bike as mine. What crankset did that come with originally? Mine has ISO FLOW and I'm bumping it up to the STYLO crankset on Fri. Also changing the stem and bars with Stylo also. I only have X5 Shifters and Derailluer and will be going X9 next.

mtbr member
    Looks like you got another chain tensioner on that... FANCY DUDE!

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Bataivah
    Same bike as mine. What crankset did that come with originally? Mine has ISO FLOW and I'm bumping it up to the STYLO crankset on Fri. Also changing the stem and bars with Stylo also. I only have X5 Shifters and Derailluer and will be going X9 next.
    It originally had a truativ 5d with a powerspline bb. It was heavy and started making noises and I could feel it on it's way out. I looked for a better bb but I could only use one style. I got the shimano lx hollowtechs off jenson usa for like $86 and I'm running a salsa ss front ring. My shifter is an x5 still and rd is x7, it gets the job done. I believe the cassette is some boat anchor sram and the chain is a sram that I just picked up. I've had it for almost 5 years now, really stellar bike even tho it has gotten a little small for me (6'4").

mtbr member
    My Powerspline makes noise too and it drives me crazy hearing it! It's a creaking/cracking noise. I think some pipe tape would quiet it down but I want the outboard type BB instead. I just hope I bought the right tool to remove it! It's an ISIS type BB tool (20 spline I think) and it was the only tool that looked like it will fit that thing. Plus those BB's are just throw away's, so I want to throw it away!

mtbr member
    Looks like you got another chain tensioner on that... FANCY DUDE!
    I got bored

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    My Powerspline makes noise too and it drives me crazy hearing it! It's a creaking/cracking noise. I think some pipe tape would quiet it down but I want the outboard type BB instead. I just hope I bought the right tool to remove it! It's an ISIS type BB tool (20 spline I think) and it was the only tool that looked like it will fit that thing. Plus those BB's are just throw away's, so I want to throw it away!
    Haha yeah, the outboard I have is nice plus it allowed for easy mounting of the chain guides. I had my lbs do the removal and install because I didn't want to drop the cash on the tools.

Back in the saddle
    I don't know how many miles I get out of each cassette. I am a big guy, and I climb aggressively, so I know it gets more than usual use. I am looking for some side pix of my bike. Might have to take some new ones. It's the silver w/blue trim model from '04. Heavy but tough.

VEGAN ATHLETE Racing
    Won't the plumb line change as you raise and lower the seat? I usually have a high and low seat position when riding on different terrain.
    Yes, it will change some. Measure from the high spot (knees should be about 10% bent) for the fore and aft adjustment. When your saddle is low your pedaling position is all wonky anyway, so fore and aft adjustment is a secondary concern.
    Take a look at and consider "liking" our VAR Facebook and VAR Instagram pages.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by vuduvgn
    Yes, it will change some. Measure from the high spot (knees should be about 10% bent) for the fore and aft adjustment. When your saddle is low your pedaling position is all wonky anyway, so fore and aft adjustment is a secondary concern.
    Yes, I suppose so.

mtbr member
    I got bored
    I'll assume the spring-loaded type works better also.

Back in the saddle
    Here's my ride:
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Post your hardtail Giants-rainier-side.jpg  

Post your hardtail Giants-dirty-drivetrain.jpg  

Post your hardtail Giants-fork-side.jpg  

Post your hardtail Giants-long-seatpost.jpg  

Post your hardtail Giants-long-neck.jpg  

mtbr member
    Same cranks as mine. I'm upgrading them to the Stylo's with the GXP BB. Should be MUCH better. Thanks for posting some side pic's. My ISO FLOW cranks crack and pop and creak when I pedal and I can't take it any more. Plus I don't like the Power Spline BB or the internal type BB's as a whole either.

mtbr member
    I'll assume the spring-loaded type works better also.
    Nope, I'll never buy (or make) a spring loaded tensioner again. Doesn't get enough tension on the chain and it bounces around on bumps. Plus they don't make many that push up. If I ever do a full suspension singlespeed I'll use one..but other than that I'm using fixed tensioners. Easier to use, easier to take the wheel off and put it on, and they do the job better.

I made another out of the other v-brake arm, and a random jockey wheel I had.

mtbr member
    The V-brake arm's a good idea, it looks store bought and light. I suppose you would'nt need spring-loaded on a hardtail after all.
    That chain looks mighty close to your frame.

mtbr member
    The tensioner itself actually is a cleaner looking tensioner than the one I bought. Weighs less too The picture makes the chain look close, it is actually to the left of the chainstay by close to an inch.

mtbr member
    Yeah, I thought it was store bought. If I ever get a SS then I know what to do for a tensioner now!

mtbr member
    Yeah, I thought it was store bought. If I ever get a SS then I know what to do for a tensioner now!
    Just make a tensioner and temporarily (although it will probably be permanent after you try SS'ing) convert your existing rig to SS. Make a tensioner, pop off shifters and inner/outer chainring, cut an old chain down to size, and either just throw the chain over an existing cog or spend a whopping $12 and buy a single speed conversion kit. So if you have everything you need (old chain, jockey wheel, brake arm), all you have to spend money on is a spacer kit/cog. $12 and you have a singlespeed bike that you are already familiar with and comfortable riding.

Spacer kit
    http://www.pricepoint.com/detail/167...ersion-Kit.htm

mtbr member
    I've seen those kits. Have you ever tried to leave the small ring on, or will that throw off the
    chain in the rear? The kit would save me buying an SS frame. I guess I should look around
    on the Drive Train thread instead though. Ooops
    Last edited by Bataivah; 03-25-2011 at 04:21 PM.

mtbr member
    I've seen those kits. Have you ever tried to leave the small ring on, or will that throw off the
    chain in the rear? The kit would save me buying an SS frame.
    Definitely get the kit over a frame..unless you are super serious about ss'ing..as for your question..you can leave the small ring on (I'm assuming you mean on the crankset, not the cassette). It won't be in the way. The cheap spacer kits are spaced for the middle ring though, so if you run the small ring up front you will need to spend a bit more on a spacer kit that allows better chain line adjustment. Like this http://www.jensonusa.com/store/produ...pacer+Kit.aspx so you can get the chain over to the left far enough...I'd just buy the cheap kit to try out, the ratio should be fine (it comes with 2 cogs) but if it is not you can buy a bigger cog for like 3 bucks off amazon.com.

mtbr member
    I'm not sure how it will be on LONG AND STEEP climbs though.
    We need a thread for this! I'll look around to see if there is already one up here somewhere.

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    Ive posted in here before but I thought Id post again since I just switched to 1x9.

mtbr member
    Looks like an 2008 frame. Is that XTC 1 or 2? I can't quite see.
    I love those remote lock-outs. If your in the middle of a climb and
    run into some rough spots you can just hit the button to release.

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    Looks like an 2008 frame. Is that XTC 1 or 2? I can't quite see.
    It is a 2008, its an XTC Alliance.

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    Thought I would get in on the act. Based in the UK this is my insurance replacement after my old Giant XTC Team custom got stolen

Anyway, 2005 Giant XTC with XT Groupset, Pace RC39 forks, Hope Pro 2 wheelset, Hope Mono Mini brakes and some bling carbon bars and seatpost. Recently converted to 1x9 as the main setup but whenever some steep, long, off road riding is expected 20 minutes later it's a 2x9 setup.

Starting to show it's age now (6 years) but never had a better bike

mtbr member
    How do you keep the chain on your front ring?

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    How do you keep the chain on your front ring?
    Reduced the size of the chain, added Middleburn single speed specific 32t ring and it's never slipped.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by jamiestogden
    Reduced the size of the chain, added Middleburn single speed specific 32t ring and it's never slipped.
    Cool, who'd a thought.

mtbr member
    Dec 2010

giant xtc build

here is my xtc1...bought all the components from ebay and pinkbike (mavic crosstrail rims -$300 ; frame- $220; fork-$300..total cost: about $900..probably would have cost me $1500 had i bought a similar build as a complete bike from LBS..love it
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Post your hardtail Giants-img_2198.jpg  

Wino

crappy pic of my Talon 1 the day I picked it up

Me. The chosen one. They chose me. And I didn't even graduate from fu**ing high school.

mtbr member
    Giant Rincon 2010

component list (upgrades in red)

Name: Giant Rincon
    Size: XL
    Color: Race Graphite
    Frame: Giant AluxX aluminium
    Fork: Suntour XCT V2 80mm travel
    Handlebar: Steel riser
    Stem: Aluminium ahead Felt Aluminium
    Seatpost: Aluminium Concept Ex
    Saddle: Giant Sport Trail
    Pedals: VP resin cage pedal Wellgo V12 white
    Shifters: Shimano EZ Fire 24 speed
    Front Derailleur: Shimano Tourney Shimano Deore FD M591
    Rear Derailleur: Shimano Acera
    Brakes: Tektro linear pull
    Brake Levers: Shimano
    Cassette: Shimano HG30 11-32
    Chain: KMC Z51
    Crankset: Shimano M151 Shimano Deore FC M590
    Bottom Bracket: Shimano UN-26 Shimano Deore
    Rims: Double wall aluminium
    Hubs: Formula aluminium
    Spokes: Stainless
    Tires: Kenda Kinetics 26x2.1' Schwalbe Hurricane 26x2.0'
    Grips: Giant No name
    Bar ends: Ritchey WCS wet white
    Computer: Velomann Speedstar v1.16
    Front light: Knog Beetle
    Rear light: eXtend Dizzo
    Chain guard: RaceFace

mtbr member
    May 2011
    1 week old...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Post your hardtail Giants-giant-xtc-comp-1.jpg  

Vitamin Bike Added
    Quote Originally Posted by waldog
    Hey, i had heaps of trouble getting my pic up. This is my Australian 2006 XtC3. All stock, except for WTB Velociraptor tyres, cateye wireless computer and i cut down the massive handle bars, bloody hell they were huge!

How do you like the Velociraptors on the XTC? Was thinking about picking up a Veli rear for my iguana. Mostly riding hard pack but I hear they are "only good in mud"...not sure what to make of that!

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    Nice Giants!

Now, its mine:

Abs!

Vitamin Bike Added

Giant Iguana

This is my all stock 2006 Giant Iguana. Just got into riding this year and this is my second hard tail (my other is a 2004 Gary Fisher Tarpon). Only modification to date are slime tubes. Got some plans but would ultimately like to add a full suspension bike into the mix as well. Enjoy!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Post your hardtail Giants-img_0224.jpg  

Post your hardtail Giants-img_0226.jpg  

Post your hardtail Giants-img_0222.jpg  

Last edited by MTBCanuck; 06-01-2011 at 11:39 PM. Reason: Adding pictures

mtbr member

Giant XTC F1 by billmania, on Flickr
    06 Giant XTC Composite 69er
    Rims: Velocity Blunt Rims (Red)
    Current Rims: Stan's ZTR Arch
    Tires: Kenda Small Block 8 (front) Kenda Karma (rear)
    Current Tires: Schwalbe Rocket Ron (front) Nobby Nic (rear)
    Seatpost: Race Face Next
    Saddle: WTB Silverado
    Headset Cap: Niner YAWYD (You Are What You Drink) Top Cap with Bell's Oberon Cap
    Handlebar: FSA XC287 Handlebar
    Hubs: Surly (F&R)
    Chainrings: Surly 36t x 18t Shimano freewheel
    Current Chainrings: Shimano Alivio 42t (that's right!)x 22t ACR Crossfire freewheel
    Chain Tensioner: DMR STS
    Chain: SRAM PC-890
    Crank: Truvativ Stylo
    Stem: RaceFace
    Brakes Avid Elixir CR Front: 185mm, Rear: 160mm
    Fork: White Brothers Rock Solid
    Pedals: Egg Beater SL
    Current Pedals: Deore XT
    Total weight is a hair over 20#
    http://www.custercyclery.com/

CliffGun1
    May 2011

Just Found and Bought This One A Month Ago

A guy had this in his garage for the last 15 years. I doubt it has more than a couple of hundred miles on it. Paint is mint. He had it tuned and I bought it, real cheap. Couldn't say no. Just about to start making the upgrades, but this bike runs real well right now. Everything is Deore LX. I'll post another pic in a couple of months and you guys can check on my progress.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Post your hardtail Giants-001.jpg  

Wino
    Quote Originally Posted by MTBCanuck View Post
    This is my all stock 2006 Giant Iguana. Just got into riding this year and this is my second hard tail (my other is a 2004 Gary Fisher Tarpon). Only modification to date are slime tubes. Got some plans but would ultimately like to add a full suspension bike into the mix as well. Enjoy!
    Looks great.
    Me. The chosen one. They chose me. And I didn't even graduate from fu**ing high school.

mtbr member
    Mar 2011

Giant XTC 2 29er

I love this bike!!!!!!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Post your hardtail Giants-bike-pic.jpg  

mtbr member
    Nice ride Dude! OH look at the pretty white! Post up some pictures when you go out and get it DIRTY! !

mtbr member
    Heres mine from Gates,Oregon
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Post your hardtail Giants-sam_0207.jpg  

mtbr member
    Just built this up as my expendable "budget" hardtail for city/suburban riding so that I don't have to take my dream machine Enduro SL all over the place.

about $1100 or $1200 spent, total.

Giant ATX Pro frame bought brand new off of Ebay, surplus from China. I think its an 2008 model frame. About a quarter pound heavier than an XTC.

2010 Sram X9 shifters, deraillers
    Sram PC-991 Chain
    Truvativ Stylo 3.3 Team Crankset 2010
    Sram PG 980 9 Speed Cassette
    2006 Manitou Minute 1:00 fork that I've had sitting around new/uncut since 2007. 3-5 inches adjustable travel, coil spring, SPV Evolve.

Truvativ Stylo Race Stem and Seatpost
    Ergon GP1 Bio Kork grips
    WTB Rocket V Comp Saddle
    Crank Bros Candy 1 pedals
    Continental Race King tires with the "Protection" sidewalls. Old style with a brown/red color to them.
    Leftover "Enduro" bar from my 2007 Specialized Enduro SL. I taped and painted it.
    Magura Marta brakes. Not sure what year. Spanking deal brand new from Cambriabike
    Mavic 717 rims with Shimano XT centerlock hubs.

Knog Beetle safety lights on the bars, knog frog and a red reflector on the seat post.

Haven't weighted it yet, but regardless of the number, its a ton lighter than my Enduro. All that's left to do is get a lightweight bashguard to replace the big ring. No need for it in San Francisco and it means I'll be able to wear pants to the store. My chain is already sized for 2x9, so I couldn't even shift into the big ring if I wanted.

I used to have a Giant VT2 and while I love Giant's classic blue color, I thought it would be cool to build a red Giant.

*click thumbnails to make larger

Last edited by chameleoneel; 07-01-2011 at 04:11 AM.

banned

1992 Giant Yukon

$25 from Craigs List. Bought $5 grips and $5 worth of cables. Add in some polishes, lubricants, tubes and tires I already had in the garage and I ended up with my $35 Yukon. It will be my neighborhood bike for riding with the kids.

Post your hardtail Giants-img_6678.jpg

Post your hardtail Giants-img_6680.jpg

Post your hardtail Giants-img_6686.jpg

Post your hardtail Giants-img_6688.jpg

mtbr member
    Jan 2009

Xtc

This is my homegrown. I built this bike up with my son so we could learn a little and teach him some wrenching skills. I was able to barter for most of the parts and some I had to buy. I was on a pretty tight budget and I could not find anyone willing to part with a quality fork so a dart 2 fork is used. It works and it rides really nice.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Post your hardtail Giants-bike.jpg  

mtbr member

my new giant talon 29er 1

i love my 29er!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Post your hardtail Giants-268983_1842212137356_1302174553_31560135_1902030_n.jpg  

Post your hardtail Giants-261874_1842214737421_1302174553_31560138_7570226_n.jpg  

mtbr member
    Jul 2011

my first bike...

Drivetrain: Shimano SLX/Sram X7
    Fork: Suntour Epicon RLD
    Brakes: Shimano XT/BR m525
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Post your hardtail Giants-282435_1835412697336_1601030546_31451027_7887565_n.jpg  

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by doki View Post
    Drivetrain: Shimano SLX/Sram X7
    Fork: Suntour Epicon RLD
    Brakes: Shimano XT/BR m525
    Nice bike! Those frames are cooool.

Page 11 of 17 FirstFirst ... 789101112131415 ... LastLast