Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Your Best Friend

Post your carbon Anthem X29ers

Please include pictures, weights, any mods and what you are plannning to use it for.

2013 Anthem Advanced X29er 0:
    XL
    23lbs, 6oz
    Tubeless
    Xpedo Ti/Ti pedals
    Ergon GS1 Leichtbau grips
    Ergon SM3-L Pro Carbon saddle
    Garmin mount
    Contour HD mount
    Giant carbon bottle cages x2
    Cut the handle bar to 690mm
    Cut the steerer to flush with HT/stem and 1x.5mm spacer
    Bell
    (I should add that my bike came with the 2012 Rock Shox Sid RCT3 dual air. I am thrilled with this because, if you know how to use it, dual air rocks)

I got this to use as an all day bike. I used to race a lot but not really anymore. I still like to go out and do epic rides of at least 5-10 hours. I've had several different 29ers from long travel to carbon HT. This bike fits right in the middle and is perfect so far.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Post your carbon Anthem X29ers-her-first-20-feet.jpg  

Post your carbon Anthem X29ers-i-those-trees-not-long-before.jpg  

Post your carbon Anthem X29ers-she-isnt-clean-anymore-my-two-toys.jpg  

davidcarson48
    I like the idea of this thread...

I have about 100 miles on it and love it so far. I had a warranty issue with the XT brakes (sticky piston), but that was quickly resolved with a replacement caliper. It definitely rides firmer than my 2010 HiFi Pro with Fox suspension bits and is about 2+ pounds lighter. I'm pleasantly surprised by the P-XCR 1 wheelset so far. Other than the loud graphics (which I removed with some laquer thinner), they have very little flex, are reasonably light, and set up tubeless easily. I'm thinking about going with a NN in the rear as the RR isn't great in the wet rocks and mud here in the winter.

This is my only MTB, so it is going to do everything from XC racing to a few endurance races to everyday trail riding.

I had been considering a high-end wheelset for it, but I may just beat on the stock wheelset for now and grab up a carbon bar and seatpsot.

2013 Giant Anthem X Advanced 29er 1
    Large frame
    26.2 pounds as pictured; 25.4 pounds without pedals
    Nobby Nic 2.25 TLR/EVO/SS front tire (running 21-22 psi)
    Racing Ralph 2.25 TLR/EVO/SS rear tire (running 24-25 psi)
    Tires set up tubeless with included rim strip, valve, and Stan's sealant
    Inner chainring changed from 26T to 24T
    Shimano XT Shadow Plus rear derailleur
    SRAM XX 11-34 cassette
    36T DT Swiss star ratchet upgrade in the rear hub
    WTB Pure V Pro saddle
    ODI Rogue lock on grips
    Shimano XT Race pedals
    Barfly Garmin Mount
    Cantitoe Road Shelter protection tape on downtube and BB

Last edited by davidcarson48; 01-08-2013 at 06:48 AM.

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    Edit; I can't post pics yet. Sorry.

Here is mine. 11.9kg completely stock with xtr race pedals. Still running tubes.
    Very happy so far. I've only had it about 11 days and done 300km on it. The XT gear is great. The brakes are brilliant. I don't think I would buy another bike with Avids again.
    I find the suspension very plush. I've been messing around with pressures a bit and now have about 30% rear sag and its great on the trail. Very comfy.
    I have a set of Ness carbon wheels to go on. They are only around 250grams lighter if the giant wheels really weigh 1750g. But I will also loose about 400 grams of tubes.

Your Best Friend
    Only 3 of these on here? Hell, there are 3 riding out of our shop.

mtbr member
    Apr 2012

2013 Anthem X Advanced 29'r - Early Release!

I'll have to send some pics up later; but I've had mine since Dec 27th and after 100+ miles on it, I think I may have finally got it dialed in to me. Mine wasn't nearly as light out of the box as in earlier posts, (26 lbs 15 oz) so I went to work on making it lighter.

I replaced the stock:

SXC-2 wheels with Stans ZTR ArchEX with Industry 9 hubs (obviously tubeless)
    SRAM 1071 12/36 Cassette
    KMC X10L Chain
    Handlebar with Easton Haven Carbon
    Pedals with Crank Brothers Eggbeaters Titanium 11's
    Seat tube with Thompson Elite
    Rotors with Ashima AiRotors 160 mm

and so far I've gotten it down to 25 lbs 8 oz, alot of money to get it just below what it was suppose to be, out of the box! Not sure how mine was almost a pound heavier that what some others have said. Maybe a difference in SRAM componants instead of the Shimano ???

This is the link to my bike:

2013 Anthem X Advanced 29er 2 (2012) - Bikes | Giant Bicycles | United States
    Last edited by Amazed; 01-29-2013 at 12:26 AM. Reason: update

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Amazed View Post
    I'll have to send some pics up later; but I've had mine since Dec 27th and after 100+ miles on it, I think I may have finally got it dialed in to me. Mine wasn't nearly as light out of the box as in earlier posts, (26 lbs 15 oz) so I went to work on making it lighter.

I replaced the stock:

and so far I've gotten it down to 25 lbs 8 oz, alot of money to get it just below what it was suppose to be, out of the box! Not sure how mine was almost a pound heavier that what some others have said. Maybe a difference in SRAM componants instead of the Shimano ???

It's probably a combination of a few things. The fork is about 200g lighter on the 1 vs the 2 (SID RL vs RL), so that's a half pound or so. The 1 comes with an X0 crankset, which is listed as 780g w/ BB. The S1000 that comes on the 2 is listed as 930g, so that's about .3 lbs. The component group will probably make up the rest as it's X5/7 vs X9/0.

Your Best Friend
    @Amazed, you got the same frame as the higher two X29er Advanced models so work out from there.

I just added a Giant Contact Switch dropper post to my bike and I'm still under 24lbs. Can't wait to get out on some dry dirt. Summer can't come fast enough.

BTW. If any of you are ever out in Utah, look me up and I'll take you for a ride.

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    Here is mine. 22lbs 8oz on the shop scale without pedals. It is a medium, all stock except for enve 700mm bar and tubeless.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Post your carbon Anthem X29ers-giant-anthem.jpg  

davidcarson48

I replaced the stock:

The early releases got screwed on the wheelset. The P-XCR-1 wheelset is under 1800 grams. Your stock is over 2000 grams.

Your Best Friend
    Quote Originally Posted by davidcarson48 View Post
    The early releases got screwed on the wheelset. The P-XCR-1 wheelset is under 1800 grams. Your stock is over 2000 grams.
    He has an Advanced 2, they've always come with that wheelset. The 1 comes with the P-XCR1 wheelset.

Unfortunately the wheels are tanks. I'd highly recommend looking at a set of Stans ArchEXs or even Crests. Serious weight loss to be had. If you have $1K, look into the American Classic Race 29ers. Really strong and uber light.

mtbr member
    2013 Giant Anthem X Advanced 29er 1 (early release)

Weighs 24.8 pounds

Small Frame
    Mavic SLR Rims tubeless
    Race Face Carbon Bar
    XT Brakes
    XTR Pedals
    rest is stock

The original shock Monarch RT failed after two months. Local bike shop replaced it with a Monarch RL which was fine with me.

This is my trail bike probably won't race it but it is a great ride. I agree on the dual air fork - it is awesome if it's setup right. Probably won't do much more to the bike just ride and enjoy as soon as the weather allows. Picked up a Fat bike to ride until then...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Post your carbon Anthem X29ers-giantaxa29er-v2.jpg  

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by Silentfoe View Post
    @Amazed, you got the same frame as the higher two X29er Advanced models so work out from there.

I just added a Giant Contact Switch dropper post to my bike and I'm still under 24lbs. Can't wait to get out on some dry dirt. Summer can't come fast enough.

BTW. If any of you are ever out in Utah, look me up and I'll take you for a ride.
    Yepper, same frame. I just read several reviews prior to purchase that said Giant spec'd the 2 at 26lbs, the 1 at 24 lbs and the 0 at 22 lbs, my 2 was about a pound heavier than what I read.. Still got my eyes peeled for a good deal on a XX crankset and cassette; surely that should get me under 25 lbs.

Of'course it would be much cheaper if I would lose the 20 lbs of body fat to really lighten the load... LOL!

Your Best Friend
    Yepper, same frame. I just read several reviews prior to purchase that said Giant spec'd the 2 at 26lbs, the 1 at 24 lbs and the 0 at 22 lbs, my 2 was about a pound heavier than what I read.. Still got my eyes peeled for a good deal on a XX crankset and cassette; surely that should get me under 25 lbs.

Of'course it would be much cheaper if I would lose the 20 lbs of body fat to really lighten the load... LOL!
    Pretty sure the weights you read were from media releases. I haven't seen one yet that was close. My 0 (XL) was a hair over 23lbs out of the box. By going tubeless, foam grips, cutting down the handlebar/steerer and adding my Xpedo Ti/ti pedals I was at 22lbs 11oz.

I've since added plenty of little things to include a dropper post and it brought me up to 23lbs 15oz.

I love a light bike because it takes less out of you physically over a long trail but I like the comfort of the Ergon grips and saddle and the post will help over the difficult stuff. You build a bike for how you know YOU are going to ride it.

davidcarson48
    He has an Advanced 2, they've always come with that wheelset. The 1 comes with the P-XCR1 wheelset.

Unfortunately the wheels are tanks. I'd highly recommend looking at a set of Stans ArchEXs or even Crests. Serious weight loss to be had. If you have $1K, look into the American Classic Race 29ers. Really strong and uber light.
    Blah, I missed that. Sorry.

davidcarson48

I don't know if I'd go AC Race or the new Roval $1200 carbon rim wheelset. Decisions...

mtbr member
    Just got my '13 Anthem X Advanced 1 29er Sat and took it to a local rock garden Sun. Short ride, but had a big grin on my face up and down the trails! Sorry, no pics, but it looks like the one on the Giant Web site, except I put on a 'new' 10 year old pair of carbon Time ATACs (I like those older ones better ), changed the seat to a Terry Fly and added a bottle cage. I'll go tubeless next and those will be only mods. My bike's mainly for me to get out and have fun while getting some exercise

davidcarson48

Re: Post your carbon Anthem X29ers

Quote Originally Posted by tosa View Post
    Just got my '13 Anthem X Advanced 1 29er Sat and took it to a local rock garden Sun. Short ride, but had a big grin on my face up and down the trails! Sorry, no pics, but it looks like the one on the Giant Web site, except I put on a 'new' 10 year old pair of carbon Time ATACs (I like those older ones better ), changed the seat to a Terry Fly and added a bottle cage. I'll go tubeless next and those will be only mods. My bike's mainly for me to get out and have fun while getting some exercise
    Nice! Enjoy the ride.

mtbr member
    Thanks!

mtbr member
    Mar 2007

2013 Anthem Advanced 1
    10.98kg
    Ness carbon wheels
    Easton EC70 flat bar 685mm
    ESI chunky grips
    XT cassette 11-36
    Selle Italia SLR gel flow saddle
    XTR race pedals
    Giant carbon bottle cage

Your Best Friend
    @Pistonbroke, you need to do us all a huge favor and make sure to do a good review of those wheels. Not much information for them online. From what I gather they are pretty much an Aussie exclusive, run $1334.85 US dollars and weigh in at a claimed 1470. The only unknowns are how they ride and if they'll hold up.

Thanks in advance!

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    I've seen that wheelset on the torpedo7 website. Great for the price. Don't they ship to USA also?

They are heaps cheaper than the giant carbon 29 er wheelset. I like you silentfoe are interested in the flex, actual weight and longevity.

Are they made in Italy?

mtbr member
    Mar 2007

Yes I got them from Torpedo 7 and paid $750 plus $30 for the 15mm adapters. I have never seen them anywhere else. I didn't really know anything about them but figured someone had to try them first.
    Initial impressions unpacking the box is good. They are a great looking wheel set with bright red anodized hubs and nipples, black bladed spokes and of course the carbon rims. They came with some spare spokes and nipples and some nice red quick release skewers.
    I would give them a 7 out of 10 for the build and engineering quality. It would be an 8 but the bearings in the free hub were a little notchy from new. They don't quite have that absolute high end finish than you would expect from something like Cris King but you're also not paying those high end prices.
    The rear hub comes apart for servicing in seconds and has 24 points of engagement and 3 pawls(from memory). All bearing were Enduro branded. I had a little trouble putting a cassette on as the axle spacer seemed to have quite a large diameter. I had to modify my cheap cassette tool to fit. Maybe a better quality tool would fit straight on???
    I weighed them at 1490 grams with the pre installed rim tape but no valves. This is pretty close to their claimed 1470. I fitted Stan's universal tubeless valves. I used no other tapes or rim strips.
    I fitted 2.25 Racing Ralph Evos easily. They inflated pretty easily but I was using a compressor. Tyres seem to be quite secure and I've had no issues with burping or loosing air once I got the valves to seal.
    I first used these wheels on my 2012 Giant XTC Composite. They replaced the heavy stock Giant pxc2 wheels. Now this is a super stiff, responsive hard tail. And fitting these wheels didn't change that. Everything still felt super stiff and responsive. But the whole bike felt lighter and accelerated and climbed like never before. I have not noticed any loss of torsional stiffness in the steering as this is one area I am a little picky in. I have also not really noticed and great improvements in ride quality or some magical damping effect of carbon. They just feel like light fast wheels.
    I am now running them on my 2013 Giant Anthem Advanced 1. Nothing really changed. Still light, fast and more than stiff enough.
    Durability? I've only had them a few months but so far so good. I've done two 3 hour xc races on fast flowing fairly flat course with a few small logs. I've also done a 12 hour xc endurance race with a bit of everything. It had a few rocks, logs, g-outs, small dips and some good climbs. Everything is still straight and true. So with a few training rides I've probably done around 800km or 500 miles on them.
    I weigh about 80kg with gear on and was considering Stan's Race Gold wheel set. I was a little too fat for those but think I made the right choice. I'm not an aggressive rider and no pro. These are only the opinions of a weekend hack C grade rider. But my racing results do seem to have improved which really does prove these wheels have magical powers.

mtbr member
    Silentfoe, you seem to know a lot about the Giant 29ers and it also sounds like you had some racing in your history too so I value your opinion here.
    I'm trying to decide between building up the new carbon Anthem or the XtC hardtail for this year's race machine. Currently on an Orbea carbon Alma. It is fast and handles quick with the short stays but I want something a touch more compliant and lighter. The Giant HT frame is almost 300 grams less and they went back to a 27.2 seatpost for a little compliance too, so on paper it seems I can get both wishes. But I keep reading good stuff about the Anthem and now with the Carbon I could get pretty light.
    Anyway, What are your thoughts?
    R U living to ride or riding to live?

Your Best Friend

Re: Post your carbon Anthem X29ers

Sorry for the late reply, I've been riding in 60* weather in St. George, Ut. :beer:

Ok. The new carbon advanced sl xtc has "flexible" stays. The standard carbon xtc doesn't. Keep in mind they don't flex much and a hard tail is a hard tail. On longer rides it will still beat you up.

I had my Anthem Advanced 0 down to 22lbs 11oz w/pedals. I've since made it my all around endurance bike and even put a dropper post on it. It now weighs exactly 24lbs. I've done over 75 miles in three days (more to come today) and I still feel great.

If you can afford to lighten up an Anthem, I feel it will be a much more versatile bike than an XTC. If you were only going to be doing short XC races, then go for the HT.

mtbr member
    Silentfoe: which dropper post are you using?

Edit: Just saw that you're using the Giant Contact dropper post. It's pretty light then I suppose?
    Last edited by tosa; 02-18-2013 at 08:14 AM.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast