mtbr member
    Aug 2008

PLEASE help me choose.

So I decided my next bike will either be a Reign 1 or a Reign X1. I have read and read and read everything I can find on these two bikes but I need more help. I am still kind of a newb so my abilities aren't the best. I ride all over southern california and I am planning a trip to mammoth later on in the summer.

Here is what I am having trouble with, the Reign is obviously lighter and with less suspension could be a better climber. The Reign X is a little heavier but has a little more suspension that could make the descents more fun.

So please everyone, help me decide, choose a bike for me and give me your reasoning.

Living Ghetto Fabulous!
    If you're even thinking about doing any lift access DH/FR, it's gotta be the Reign X. It's just tougher. More of a shuttle bike that you can still pedal really well IMO. The Reign is a lighter duty bike, and is more suited to versatility.

I saw a really cool set-up on a Reign 0 recently. Our shops rep. brought his bike in, built as a mini FR bike. He had a LG1 chainguide, 50mm stem and Diety Dirty30's. Those two mods turned the bike into a cool 28.5 lb. railer!

Either of these bikes are awesome though. You have to ask yourself what kind of riding you'll be doing most with the bike. Base your decision off that. Good luck!
    Quote Originally Posted by kidwoo
    The internet sounds like a tough place to ride.

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    if you want to pedal up anything, get a reign. if you dont want to pedal up anything, get a reign x.

.. chances are you want a normal reign.

mtbr member
    May 2007
    I say just get a reignx and cover all bases. handles DH stuff nicely, still can pedal up hills, etc. maestro is good pedaling, and going from 6 to 6.7" of travel won't make that much of a difference on that front.

If you build it with a 2x9 drivetrain, and some lightish parts, you'll be fine for pretty much everything in socal. throw some burly tires and it'll take on mammoth with aplomb (ask me how I know )

plus, you get all sorts of cool goodies by going with the X, like ISCG tabs, more travel, slacker head angle, etc. all plusses in my book.