mtbr member
    Apr 2012

Please Help - Ballpark Price for a 2006 Trance 2?

I am a newbie in need of advice. I have a chance to buy a 2006 Trance 2 that has been garaged, collecting dust and not seen a trail. It's stock with no changes. I still need to fully inspect it, but if it is truly lightly used, what is a fair price to pay? A ballpark figure would be a great help. Thank you!
    Last edited by LifeIsGoodInColorado; 04-17-2012 at 06:58 PM.

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    Bueller? Bueller? Anyone? Come on & help a brotha out!

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    ballpark, I say $500, max. I sold my 06 Reign, in excellent condition, in 09 for $700. It is now 2012, whether the bike has been ridden or not.

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    Thank you for the response, I really appreciate your help!

mtbr member
    500 or less, offer 400 after inspection to see what happens.

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    Thank you both! I needed some frame of reference because they are asking $750. I am inspecting the bike this evening. Hopefully it's really all they say, but now I won't overpay.

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    Got it. It really freaking looks brand new (only 2 small scratches on the paint). It even has the original yellow safety warning sticker still on the center of the handlebar. This bike really never saw a trail. The owner had even mounted a big Trek Interchange rack and tote bag to the post...I took that off already! He said he never intended to mountain bike, that he just wanted a good quality bike and the Trance 2 got great reviews so he bought it. Guys at the LBS could not believe it when they saw it. They went over it in great detail and pronounced it barely ridden. They said the forks not even broken in yet. All the bike needs is a brake bleed, air in the rear shock, and a slight adjustment to the derailleur. They said I got a great deal on a good bike that was somebody's wall art. I'm going to replace the pedals with some Answer Rove FR's (I ride flats with Five Tens - can't bear my feet clipped) and hit the trails. After the goatheads puncture the tires and/or I get pinch flats, I'm going to upgrade the tires and convert to tubeless. Then I will just upgrade components as the stock ones wear out. Thanks again to the 2 of you for your help, I really appreciate it! I'll post a pic after I pick it up from the LBS.

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    Put a 140mm up front. I rolled my 06 trance w a pike and absolutely loved it. Also, sent the rear shock off to push. They really dialed it in for that frame. $750 is a great price for that bike. You will be quite happy.

mtbr member
    Just to add my 2 cents, I paid $750 for a 2006 Trance 2 last summer. Bike had been ridden maybe 3 times, then garaged. Price may have been a bit high considering the age (seller was asking $850), but I have definitely gotten my money's worth out of it. I love this bike :-)
    --
    2006 Giant Trance 2

Bike Geek
    Do you have a picture of the bike? I have an 06 trance 3, with the front suspension set up at 130 mm. I just had the spacers removed from the stock rockshox recon, and now it gets the full travel. I love my bike
    RIP AL DAVIS

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    love my 06 Trance 2. Climbs and rails corners like a champ. I bought it used at the end of the year last year for $600 shipped. Unfortunately had to replace/upgrade a lot of stock parts since it was well ridden. I still see a few used 06 Giant trance 2 selling for over $1,000 online so if you paid $750, that's a great deal. Here's a picture of mine after I stripped the paint down and polished it. Still looking to upgrade the Rebas to a 140mm fork.

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    ya if you got it for $750 goo deal. i bought a 2005 trance 1 that was about the same -- barely ridden for $700. i was shouting for joy. good bike, not to flip my trek fuel 100.