mtbr member
    Mar 2004

Play in the rear end of my VT

Some time ago i posted about play in the rear end of my VT. I've tracked it to shock's bushing being worn out. It was fixed on warranty. Well, i still can feel some play. I'll try to describe the problem:

The play can be felt and heard while riding. Also when i lift the rear end of the bike and let it fall to groud from about ~25 cm i can hear a "knock" sound.
    The play and sound cannot be heard before there is enough force to move the shock a little bit.
    There is no play in the shock's bushing and i can not feel any play in the suspension linkage. It seems its the swinger.
    When i let all the air from SPV out, and leave just a little bit in main chamber so the shock compresses just under the weight of the bike, then the play is even more pronounced can be easly felt while rocking the rear end against the ground with just little force.
    The shock works fine and it holds air just fine.

Is this normal, do i feel a SPV vale open or something ?

Reviewer/Tester
    No, thats not normal. Sounds like the shock has a loose part in it.

Get it fixed / replaced under warranty...asap.

R.

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Michal
    Some time ago i posted about play in the rear end of my VT. I've tracked it to shock's bushing being worn out. It was fixed on warranty. Well, i still can feel some play. I'll try to describe the problem:

The play can be felt and heard while riding. Also when i lift the rear end of the bike and let it fall to groud from about ~25 cm i can hear a "knock" sound.
    The play and sound cannot be heard before there is enough force to move the shock a little bit.
    There is no play in the shock's bushing and i can not feel any play in the suspension linkage. It seems its the swinger.
    When i let all the air from SPV out, and leave just a little bit in main chamber so the shock compresses just under the weight of the bike, then the play is even more pronounced can be easly felt while rocking the rear end against the ground with just little force.
    The shock works fine and it holds air just fine.

Is this normal, do i feel a SPV vale open or something ?
    I've checked today and the shock's bushing is gone again. It lasted like 100km, maybe more. The teflon in the bushing is like melted. I think this is a manitou DU bushing design issue. I cannot imagine like teflon that is that soft (like in that bushing) is going to last even a single off rode ride.
    I'm going to try that teflon tape trick, maybe it helps.