mtbr member
    Mar 2004

Play in bottom shock bushing

A couple days ago, i posted a messege about play in the rear end of my VT. I've traced that play to bottom shock bushing. The mounting hardawre can rattle a little inside the shock's eye when dissasembledt. It can alsow be felt and heard during riding. I took my by to my LBS, and they say its normal. Thay showed my 2 different bikes, one giant VT and one specialized epic with similar rear end play to convince me that this is normal. I could not feel a play in other VT and specialized had really lots of play. Is this normal ? thanks for any input.

Reviewer/Tester
    Play in a shock bushing?

No, I don't think so.

Any play in a bushing usually means high wear from 'hammering' as the shock works up and down absorbing the impacts from the ground, which would eventually cause the bushing to fail as it goes out-of-round.

Apart from the very small clearances designed into the bushing/shock from the factory, there should be virtually no play or slack in that area at all.

R.

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Rainman
    Play in a shock bushing?

No, I don't think so.

Any play in a bushing usually means high wear from 'hammering' as the shock works up and down absorbing the impacts from the ground, which would eventually cause the bushing to fail as it goes out-of-round.

Apart from the very small clearances designed into the bushing/shock from the factory, there should be virtually no play or slack in that area at all.

R.
    Well, if a disassembly shock mounting hardware and i leave the pivot inside the shock bushing i can rattle it, its loose. The upper bushing seems ok. My bike has like 300 miles and its like that from the beginning.

Reviewer/Tester
    Well... if that was my bike, it would be going back to a reputable LBS for a new bushing kit.

Slop like that in a new bush is totally unacceptable, and will not only cause the bushing itself to fail, but will have bad effects on the top bush as well as the shock itself.

There is no reason to have that type of play in a bush, it should be a sliding fit only, no more.

If you can't get satisfaction from where you purchased the bike, go direct to Giant. Make sure that the shop where you purchased the bike knows that you will contact Giant direct if they don't fix it at the shop.

It sounds to me like someone in the original assembly of the frame fitted the wrong size bush in there from the start.

R.

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    Well... if that was my bike, it would be going back to a reputable LBS for a new bushing kit.

Slop like that in a new bush is totally unacceptable, and will not only cause the bushing itself to fail, but will have bad effects on the top bush as well as the shock itself.

There is no reason to have that type of play in a bush, it should be a sliding fit only, no more.

If you can't get satisfaction from where you purchased the bike, go direct to Giant. Make sure that the shop where you purchased the bike knows that you will contact Giant direct if they don't fix it at the shop.

It sounds to me like someone in the original assembly of the frame fitted the wrong size bush in there from the start.

R.
    When i put the mounting harware pivot inside the other shock's bushing it fits perfectly. It rattles inside the other, but only in one plane, so the bushing must not be round. I think that the bushing is worn out, but it have lasted like 50 miles or so...
    I'm taking it to the shop for warranty unless the bushings are cheap. How do i replace bushings ?

Reviewer/Tester
    My recommendation is to let the shop replace the bush and do all the work under the bike warranty which you are entitled to.

That way, if anything goes wrong again in the near future, you are covered. If you start messing around with it yourself, you may give them an excuse to void your warranty.

R.

XC rider/racer

Warranty

I second what Rainman has said. Take advantage of the warranty and let the LBS fix it....there shouldnt be any play in that bush.
    Cheers

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Andy
    I second what Rainman has said. Take advantage of the warranty and let the LBS fix it....there shouldnt be any play in that bush.
    Cheers
    I have the shock back from LBS. The bushing is replaced on warranty, but i still can feel a little bit of play. I've noticed that, when i attach the schock to the frame and try to attach it to the rocket i have to push the schock a little bit to one side to fit it in the rocker. It seems ok, but maybe this is the reason why the bushing faild so quickly - the load is no even across the bushuing ? Or this is normal and the original bushing was somehow defective ?

Reviewer/Tester

So...

I take it that you have released the air from the shock with a shock pump?

Is there much play in between the new bushing and the shock? There should not be. It should be fairly firm, just a sliding fit.

If you have play there, it will soon hammer itself to bits again. It may be that the eye of the shock is already enlarged from the hammering it got from the first defective bushing, and now needs to be replaced with a new shock.

When I removed my shock from my frame to test for leaks in the shock, it was tight, all the bushes were very firm, no play in them. Yours should be the same.

If you are satisfied that the new bush is acceptable, then fit the shock to the top of the frame, bolt it loosely in place, then lift the frame and manoeuver the bottom bolt through spacers and the bottom bush carefully.

Use a torque wrench to tighten the bolts, but DON'T forget to first put some blue loctite on the threads of the bottom bolt to prevent it from unscrewing itself....

R.

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    I take it that you have released the air from the shock with a shock pump?

Is there much play in between the new bushing and the shock? There should not be. It should be fairly firm, just a sliding fit.

If you have play there, it will soon hammer itself to bits again. It may be that the eye of the shock is already enlarged from the hammering it got from the first defective bushing, and now needs to be replaced with a new shock.

When I removed my shock from my frame to test for leaks in the shock, it was tight, all the bushes were very firm, no play in them. Yours should be the same.

If you are satisfied that the new bush is acceptable, then fit the shock to the top of the frame, bolt it loosely in place, then lift the frame and manoeuver the bottom bolt through spacers and the bottom bush carefully.

Use a torque wrench to tighten the bolts, but DON'T forget to first put some blue loctite on the threads of the bottom bolt to prevent it from unscrewing itself....

R.

Well the new bushing is tight. There is no play in both shock's bushing. I have a feeling when riding that there is still a little bit of play somewhere in the rear end. But mayby i just feel svp valve opens or something.
    The thing that keeps me wondering is that when the shock is attached to the frame and i try to fit it (with the shock's mounting hardware) inside the rocker i have to bend the shock a little to one side to make it fit. So maybe the load is not even on the bottom bushing and that coused the original bushing to fail that quickly ?

Reviewer/Tester
    Maybe the frame-mounting point is out-of-true? Is that what you mean? Are you having to pull the shock to one side to get the bottom bolt through the bush? It sounds like that top mounting point is skewed a bit....

R.

I dream on two wheels
    Ive got a '03 VT2 and have always noticed some play in that bushing. I took it apart a couple times and re-fit it and that seemed to help for a little while. Its been like this since I got the bike and hasn't seemed to get any worse.

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Simonns
    Ive got a '03 VT2 and have always noticed some play in that bushing. I took it apart a couple times and re-fit it and that seemed to help for a little while. Its been like this since I got the bike and hasn't seemed to get any worse.
    Exactly my case. My bushing was replaced on warranty. You can really tell the diffrence when you ride. But there is still a little bit of play on the swinger, its seems like it compresses just a little bit beafore the air spring engages.

I dream on two wheels
    Quote Originally Posted by Michal
    Exactly my case. My bushing was replaced on warranty. You can really tell the diffrence when you ride. But there is still a little bit of play on the swinger, its seems like it compresses just a little bit beafore the air spring engages.

Yeah, I thought it was the headset for the longest time. Ill let everyone know if I find a fix for this.

WWYD?

I learned this from Rock Shox...

I have a NRS '03 and the top eyelet bushing was having a lot of play and clunking, so much that you could feel it when lifting by the seat. I called Rock Shox and fortunately the tech gave me a tip that the race crew uses that is definitely worth repeating.

I have the old style two-piece bushing, two identical aluminum pieces for the left and ride sides and you put the bolt through the centers. What the tech guy said was to give it a wrap of plumbers (teflon) tape on the sides that fit in the eyelet. IT WORKS!!! I have no play, even after several hard rides. Just make sure you use a single layer because too much will make it mash up onto the ridge of the bushing when you press it in the eyelet. I also ordered the new 3-piece bushing kit, but this fix rides pretty good for now.

johnnyb

I dream on two wheels
    Quote Originally Posted by johnnyb
    I have a NRS '03 and the top eyelet bushing was having a lot of play and clunking, so much that you could feel it when lifting by the seat. I called Rock Shox and fortunately the tech gave me a tip that the race crew uses that is definitely worth repeating.

I have the old style two-piece bushing, two identical aluminum pieces for the left and ride sides and you put the bolt through the centers. What the tech guy said was to give it a wrap of plumbers (teflon) tape on the sides that fit in the eyelet. IT WORKS!!! I have no play, even after several hard rides. Just make sure you use a single layer because too much will make it mash up onto the ridge of the bushing when you press it in the eyelet. I also ordered the new 3-piece bushing kit, but this fix rides pretty good for now.

johnnyb
    Hey that is a really good idea. Thanks