mtbr member
    Feb 2013

Platform or clipin for my new trance x 29er

So my new Trance x1 29 er is finally here. Do I go platform or or spd? I ride on the eastcoast with lots of rock and roots.

mtbr member
    Is up to your style of ridding, I'm also on the east coast and ride clipped in. If you decide to go platform spend on a good pair of shoes like 5.10, those things grip great.

Do what feels better.

Your Best Friend
    ^Bingo. Or you could do both! Get a clip in that has a large platform around it.
    I guide and rent bikes in Northern Utah

http://www.facebook.com/AdventureEarthRides

mtbr member
    Feb 2013

... and if we just ...

Clip in for me in the SE. Just go for the silver 56 cleats instead of the black 51's that come with most spd pedals. Life is better and they are easier to get out of. Multidirectional release. They also give you some float or ability to wiggle your foot a little. Unless you like the glued to the pedal feel. Btw...my trance x1 shoul be here next weekend. Can't wait!!
    Last edited by Hophead1; 04-07-2013 at 05:20 AM.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by mport78 View Post
    So my new Trance x1 29 er is finally here. Do I go platform or or spd? I ride on the eastcoast with lots of rock and roots.
    "lots of rock and roots". As a NE PA rider, I know EXACTLY where you are coming from.
    Let us know what your finally decide. Like Hophead1, my Trance X1 should be here this week and I'm debating the pedal question myself. Since we ride on similar terrain, I'm curious to know what works for other riders.

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    So after 2 rides on my new bike i've decided to go with some flats. Being that this is my first full suspension bike i want to get really comfortable on it before i try being clipped in. Also I'll be more willing to try new things being able to bail a little easier when i need to. I'm looking at getting the new 510 free riders vxi's when they come out next week and the spank spikes but the spanks seem to be out of stock everywhere right now for some reason. Even are full price on EBAY.

Your Best Friend

Re: Platform or clipin for my new trance x 29er

Well it's just the beginning of the season so be patient and get what you really want when it becomes available.
    I guide and rent bikes in Northern Utah

http://www.facebook.com/AdventureEarthRides

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    I was just going to post a thread just like this! I' m still pretty new to the trail riding and full suspension, but i'm thinking about going with flats on my x2 just to get used to trail riding first!

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    I always ride basic Wellgo Mg 51's or 52's, and pedals for my X2 were no different! Great combo with Five.Tens all day everyday