Thread: Pistol

mtbr member
    Mar 2006

Pistol

I've been looking at a new Pistol 2 but I'm a little concerned with the $800 sticker price.
    Does anyone have any experience with this bike and would it be fine for a noob that's been riding a Wal-Mart Mongoose? I'm looking to move up in the world of MTB and this would be the upper limit of my budget. I'm just looking for something to ride that's reliable with the occasional off-road foray, nothing too serious.

Get your freak on!
    Dec 2003
    I think you should look at a hardtail, much better value and less to go wrong with it. Will also help develop basic handling skills much better, then riding around on a FS bike.

Giant offer very good value hardtails aswell.

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    I've been on hardtail, nothing wrong with the riding skills, but the knees need some relief. I think FS is the only way to go for me. I was just wondering if the Pistol 2 was a decent bike that's upgradable as need be and not a complete piece of junk.

I just let one RIP
    Giants are good bikes. The only thing I don't like about the Pistol is the rear shock, since it screws into the frame instead of the normal mounting method--means you won't be able to upgrade it later. If you want to spend less, see if you can find an '05 Warp--no disc brakes and lower quality fork, but probably can be had for under $500. Or an '05 AC--you'll get the disc brakes and a better fork, and you might find it on sale in the $800 dollar range--it also has a better rear suspension design than the Pistol or the Warp.

mtbr member
    agreed. and you can find tricked out used acs for nothing because they are so insanely common (believe me, i've been looking to sell mine and have decided to ride it till it dies)

Registered Jong
    I actually just bought a pistol two and it rides sick. I was looking at the warps but the guys at a couple of the local bike shops told me to wait until this one came out because the warp would have a tendancy to have the frame break granted giant would warenty those out but still, i could not be happier that I waited. I took it off of a five foot jump the first day after I got it and it was awsome. The shocks are also a lot better than the warp and have about an inch to inch and a half more of travel which adds up to i think 120mm in the front and Im thinking the same or a little less in the back. I would suggest getting some better pedals when u buy the bike. This is one thing that was wrong with it since i am going to be using it more of a freeride instead of a XC I am goign to put some kona jackshits pedals on my bike, other than that I would strongly recomend it. Also more beef on the frame.

mtbr member
    May 2006

pistol 2

I bought a pistol 2 about 5 days ago and im very impressed with it.i live close to a big state park that has tons of trails,everything from down hill to cross country.and i have pushed the bike to its limits.the fork is the only thing i will change.im going to get a rock shox revelation or the tora 318.ive taken this bike off big jumps and 5-6ft drops and the rear shock and manitou axel fork did very well.i did a little tuning on the fork and the rear shock and it was ready to go.im very impressed for the price i paid.i cant pomplain.

mtbr member
    Pistol
    "Hot nasty American Speed"

Ride 26W Or Die Hippie!!!
    Jun 2006
    dont take this the wrong way, but wait a little longer and get a trance 4, it is way better than the pistol, and i am not saying that the pistol is bad at all, but the trance is worth the wait.

Johny Sokko!
    If you ride bike because you enjoy the exercise and being outdoors and have plans to continue, by all means! Get the Trance 4, you will never regret it and can upgrade anything you want. Look at my thread (Trance - Ideas for Clydes) this Trance 4 is probably worth $2500 easy!

MTB B'dos
    GIANT MTB POLICE : Yo fool, you can't call that thing a Trance4 anymore. It has more upgrades that you could shake a stick at. Please refer to it from now on as a Trance 1.5

Seriously if you really plan to get into riding MTB, I mean more than once or twice a week on the local bike path or beginners trail consider saving some more and get the Trance4, then when your riding increases and you break/wear stuff out or just plain get upgraditis upgrade the parts to better stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by Stoner
    If you ride bike because you enjoy the exercise and being outdoors and have plans to continue, by all means! Get the Trance 4, you will never regret it and can upgrade anything you want. Look at my thread (Trance - Ideas for Clydes) this Trance 4 is probably worth $2500 easy!
    One day your life will flash before your eyes, will it be worth watching??
    MTB Barbados
    My Phantom pics

Johny Sokko!
    Yes Sir! Please forgive my ignorance.

squish is good
    late to the conversation but my .02 are as follows:

Pistol has a single pivot rear suspension and a rudimentary front shock. If you've never ridden a FS, its gonna feel cool. If you test ride a Trance or Reign on a trail, its going to feel stupid. Save your $, get the better models. IMHO the Pistol is for ppl who are too eagar or too cheap to give the more expensive bikes a try. I don't want to sound snooty, I'm a college student, I earn $8 an hour at my part time job. I'm not rich, but I managed to save enough cash for a Reign 2 after buying a bike that was a very entry level hardtail. I will tell you that Reign is worth every hour I spent at work, it makes the difference for me every time I go up and down a hill.