Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Photos of My Reign 1

4K views 40 replies 18 participants last post by  Rainman 
#1 ·
Well heres the photos of my 28 lb reign. I don't think I can peel off any more weight except lose the tubes. Unfortunately it's been snowing since i took the pictures so I guess I will have to settle for some tele turns tomorrow instead of riding.

Attachments

See less See more
#8 ·
telemarc said:
Mods to my reign 1. 16" Frame Size

Race Face Deus crankset instead of Evolve
Sram X0 rear derailleur instead of XT
Sram X9 shifters insyead of XT
Maxxis High Roller Exception w/ ultralight tubes instead of Hutchison Buldog Air Lite
I hate to break it to you, but that's not going to save 3+ lbs to make it 28lbs. The X9 shifters are actually heavier than XT, the derailer is the same weight as XT (~240g) and the only place where you've saved weight is the cranks and tires, which I doubt are 3lbs lighter.

It's a nice bike no doubt, and I love the way they ride, but they aren't too light.

#9 ·
Bike weighs 28 lbs.

Actually,
I have the bike in my possesion and own a digital scale.The bike weighs 28 lbs.It's a 16" frame and the tires save 400 -430 grams each .The rest in the cranks.Believe me I know about weight as I design aircraft mods for a living.
Telemarc

#11 ·
Just some cheap suggestions...

telemarc said:
Actually,
I have the bike in my possesion and own a digital scale.The bike weighs 28 lbs.It's a 16" frame and the tires save 400 -430 grams each .The rest in the cranks.Believe me I know about weight as I design aircraft mods for a living.
Telemarc
Just add..
Maverick DUC
Mavic/Hugi 240 wheelset
Carbon h-bars
Thompson Stem
Flite saddle

Your bike can be sub 27.
I have a sub 27 AC, no probs...SWeet build, BTW

#12 ·
Ohhh.. what a sweet-looking machine that is.

Wish we could get them here in Oz this year instead of having to wait till '06.

Ah well, any glitches will be sorted out by the time we get them here down-under.. :)

Whats all that white powdery stuff? lol.. :)

R.

#15 ·
That is one Beautiful Rig!!! Lay off the cutting weight thing though!! It's a trail bike not a weight weenie xc race specific bike! Lose the spoke guard though. You should've put a Salsa big ring BashGuard on there, that way you can keep the big ring, I use mine quite a bit. don't put a flite saddle or weakazz DT240's on there either. Maybe a Thomson stem, but that won't be saving you any weight, just super stiff and trick. Either way, I hope your doing it justice and riding the heck out of it. I'm jealous of your new hot rod. :p

JM.- somebodies always gotta be the hater. :rolleyes:

#16 ·
Thats it for weight reduction.

Yeah I know what you mean. I have tried to get it down to a reasonable Xc weight as that was the goal in getting the bike. I have a faith 1 coming for the DH FR stuff in March. I was told to leave the spoke guard on the crossmax's as they are prone to spoke damage if the chain ever over shifts.Any way I've achieved my 28 lb goal which is fine for 3-4- hour XC-FR rides.
I live on Vancouver Island and almost all the riding is super technical so no big ring is needed.When we go to the interior for a road trip I usually take the guard off and throw the Big ring back on. If you leave it on here it is usually trashed in no time. Toooooo many logs.

#20 ·
The nixon

We have had so much snow we haven't been riding much. I've played with the pressure and now have it at 75% body weight and 75 Lbs. in the SPV side seems pretty smooth in small stuff. Haven't used the IT yet. Manitou is sending longer Damping Rods to the dealer to install next month sometime to replace the bushing that they put in to impede the travel.(See Answer Manitou Website Recall.) although with my 2.1's I probably wouldn't have to worry.

#21 ·
cool bike!

telemarc said:
We have had so much snow we haven't been riding much. I've played with the pressure and now have it at 75% body weight and 75 Lbs. in the SPV side seems pretty smooth in small stuff. Haven't used the IT yet. Manitou is sending longer Damping Rods to the dealer to install next month sometime to replace the bushing that they put in to impede the travel.(See Answer Manitou Website Recall.) although with my 2.1's I probably wouldn't have to worry.
the upgrades are the best. Btw, does the nixon have the sticker that says "tire clearance upgrade installed"? whats the a-c height of the nixon?

#22 ·
Tire Clearance Sticker

Yes it has the tire clearance sticker which means it has a 10 mm elastomer spacer installed. Apparantly you lose 10 mm of travel but I haven't checkid it. I'l only worry about it if it bottoms out ,or affects the spv ramping. I did get my friend at the bike shop to phone the rep and make sure I'm in lin for the proper fix which is longer dampening rods. Supposedly the bike shop will install them when they come in the next couple of months.Apparantly they are so busy installing the spacers in forks without the sticker that they haven't even looked at the real mod yet.Can you say shitty engineers? I am a computer designer working in the mechanical and aviation field and you would think their computer model would show the clearance issues. I'm sure Answer uses computer modelling and Finite Element Analysis for their engineering.Someone screwed up.

#23 ·
Very nice ride!

Another frustrated Western NA skier. I feel your pain. I'm in Seattle and haven't even bothered trying to go skiing yet as most of our areas opened for a week or two and shut right back down.

Oh well, I'm riding my bike lots anyway (road) and still shopping for a new bike to play on the trails, which at this rate will be dry by March! ;)

Cheers!
-Ian

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.