mtbr member
    May 2008

which pedals do you recommend?

I just bought a Trance 1 and it came with clip on pedals. I believe there are wider pedals that have clips on one side and flat on the other. Would you recommend these type of pedals because I would like to use both clip on shoes and normal shoes when I ride. Which pedals would you recommend for this application?

Cheers

mtbr member
    crank brothers mallet might work for what you are describing.

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    mallets would be the way to go. There are pedals that have an spd clip on one side and a flat on the other. They're kind nice for convience, but really not worth it. The flat side sucks as a flat pedal, your feet will just slip, and the spd sucks too since you have to rotate it to get your foot in. plus, they're very very heavy. Worst of both worlds really.

I would suggest something like mallets. My friend has them on his bike, they're not the grippiest flats ever when your riding flats, but they're pretty good, and they're great for clips

mtbr member
    May 2008
    Would Mallet 3 be the best since its the lightest? Also any clip on shoe should work correct because they should come with its own clip on hardware?

Thanks

mtbr member
    The hardware for the shoe..cleats..come with attachment screws as well. The mallet works well if you are just cruising around town. If you want pedals for dirt jumping or something aggressive and you don't want clipless, you may need 2 sets of pedals.
    "The quality of the box matters little. Success depends upon the person who sits in it."
    The Red Baron
    I need a better box

Engineer The Future Now!
    +1 for 2 sets of pedals

I use Mallets, but mainly for when I need to clip out and may not be able to get clipped back in immediately and need some kind of platform to be able use in the meantime. It doesn't take long to swap out pedals so I have a pair of both depending on what kind of riding I'm doing.
    holy...

Live Free or Ride!
    Shimano PD M324. Clips on one side, flats on the other. This is what I started out with before I became comfortable and good enough with clips to get a decent pair. The M324 cost me $100.
    2007 Giant Anthem 1
    2009 Giant XTC 0

mtbr member
    May 2008
    Thanks guys

I just bought some shimano shoes and tried the factory clips that came on my bike. Once clipped in there seems to be some play...is this normal?

mtbr member
    In all honesty, I would get the Shimano PD647 Clipless Pedals for both their weight, function and ease of use as well as a friendly design.

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/M...x?ModelID=4516

I use these on all my bikes minus the DJ rig...but pedels are very much a person thing as well so choose one that has good mud shedding ability, good cost, great support and function, a little bit of float and easy tentioning.