Thread: Pedals......

Tactical Nightmare

Pedals......

Pedals.

I have a 2011 Giant Anthem X 29er 2 that I should have picked up in the next month or so, and I am curious to your pedal suggestions. I have a desire for a bike I can take up for a good single track ride in the hills, but also jump on it to ride around the block with my son on his bike. With that said, I havenít really been considering a pedal where I need specific shoes to wear when I ride, so I have been leading toward using toe clips or going the route of platform pedals. I have used clips in the past and they are fine, albeit a slight hassle at times, but I still get some of the up-pull benefits. Platforms attract me based on my BMX racing experience (from years ago!), but I worry if I will be losing out on some of the pedal efficiency.

My riding will mainly be on single track trails here in western Oregon (Willamette Valley, specifically), where there is a variety of some good uphills with slightly technical downhills mixed in. Somewhere between cross country and all mountain I suppose.

Any thoughts, suggestions or ideas are welcome, and I havenít ruled anything out at this point, as I wonít have my bike for a month or so. Let me know what works for you, and if your situation is anything like mine!

mtbr member
    Shimano has a great selection of pedals... I would go with Shimano PD-A530 SPD Dual Platform Pedal. It's a platform on one side and a clip on the other. It's the best of both worlds and it will fit your needs. Hope this helps!
    Just your friendly neighborhood gorilla on a bikeÖ

mtbr member
    Get some 5-10 shoes and a good platform pedal for jumping around but will recommend Crank Bros pedals any day for regular riding.

Tactical Nightmare
    Thanks for the info guys, I really appreciate it.

I have done some further research, and it looks like the Crank Brothers Mallet might not be a bad way to go. It has the platform style to it with the replaceable nubs for grip, but then also has the clipless mount as well, so you are good to go with specific riding shows. It seems this offers the best of both worlds in one pedal. I am hoping to track down a set of the Mallets to see how much the clip mount sticks up in the middle, and how they feel with standard shoes on, but overall it is a great concept and seems to fit my need/want. But, I havenít ruled out a standard platform pedal yet either.

But, if there any other suggestions, please keep them coming. Thanks again guys!

bacon! bacon! bacon!
    Time ATAC.

/thread

Tactical Nightmare
    I have seen the Time ATAC pedals for sure, but leaned toward the Crank Brothers instead, but as mentioned, I haven't used either. I just liked the replacable nubs on the Crank Brothers whereas the Time pedals aren't replacable. But I am seriously open to thoughts and ideas.......So, SkaredShtles, if you have any insight into those pedals, I am all ears!

kneecap
    Dec 2003
    -You bought a light weight/race short travel bike & you want to put tank weight pedals on it???
    Get a cheep pair of walmart flat pedals for street rides with the kiddies, & a pair of expedos for the dirt.

Tactical Nightmare
    Quote Originally Posted by kneecap View Post
    -You bought a light weight/race short travel bike & you want to put tank weight pedals on it???
    Get a cheep pair of walmart flat pedals for street rides with the kiddies, & a pair of expedos for the dirt.
    This is why I started a thread on a forum, to ask for suggesstions and ideas to my newbish dilema. Thank you for your help, but I don't go to WalMart. Have you seen the people there? Seriously, they have this website....... But I get your idea though.....two sets of pedals: The cheapo set for around town, the clip in for real rides, and just change them out as needed.

mtbr member
    The newer mallets are a lot better

But it will not do justice to the Anthem, it should use candy or beaters.

Tactical Nightmare
    You guys! Please give me some reason why or why not on these. I very much appreciate the feedback, honestly I do. But, I am the kind of guy that likes reasons or sources to the feedback. I would guess that you say the "Mallets won't do the Anthem justice" would be because of the weight, is that right? I think the overriding theme here is to not have one pedal to do the job of two, as my original thinking was based on, and I am leaning that way. I think initially, after the investment on the bike, helmet and other related starting gear, that I may be able to combine these to save some, but as I am starting to think, that isn't a good idea.

Thanks again fellas!

DIY all the way
    Quote Originally Posted by Giant Chachi View Post
    You guys! Please give me some reason why or why not on these. I very much appreciate the feedback, honestly I do. But, I am the kind of guy that likes reasons or sources to the feedback. I would guess that you say the "Mallets won't do the Anthem justice" would be because of the weight, is that right? I think the overriding theme here is to not have one pedal to do the job of two, as my original thinking was based on, and I am leaning that way. I think initially, after the investment on the bike, helmet and other related starting gear, that I may be able to combine these to save some, but as I am starting to think, that isn't a good idea.

Thanks again fellas!
    You have to keep in mind, where you asked the question

Most answers are from people whom are praying to the god of the last 1% of performance.

I ditched pedals that required special shoes a few years back, and have in the period been riding anything from super light rigid cross country bikes, to DH.

Adding pedals that are like 400 g, is not going to make much of a difference, unless you are racing, and even then, it will still be placebo for the most part of it.

So just get yourself a pair of comfy platform pedals, and be done with it.

Wellgo V12 if you feel spendy, V8 if on a tight budget.

Once you get to a level, where the performance of a pair of decent flats, becomes an issue to you, you will know a lot more about what you want/need.

Till then, a pair of V8's will set you back like 20$, and last a few years.

Magura

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    I have an anthem x2 26" and rode egg beaters last season. I am currently riding a pair of take offs flats while looking as well. I can tell my skills have gotten lazy with clipless. I relied on them a lot more than I realized lifting the rear of the bike. I've gone full circle from platform to toe clip to clipless and back. Most of the nice platforms are heavier by design to hold up to the freeride/downhill abuse. There's a thread in the downhill section with a lot of good info.

I'll link it when I have time to look for it.

Platform Pedal Shootout, the best flat is...
    Last edited by Repo; 01-18-2012 at 02:24 PM. Reason: Add link

Custom User Title:
    I could not do clipless no more they were killing my knees, I got a set of Loaded and they are awesome.

AmX Signature Sealed Bearing Pedals 2012 :: Loaded USA
    You smell like dead bunnies-Ralph Wiggum

Tactical Nightmare
    Thank you Mr. Magura and Repo! Both of those replies were what I was hoping to read. Thank you, and you are right Mr. Magura, I should have realized that I am on the interweb looking for answers! Like you Mr. Magura, I didn't think the weight difference was much in the whole scheme of things, but reading some of these posts, it got me second guessing. I think I'll start with some platforms, and when I am ready, I'll upgrade. Heck, that is part of the fun, right? Upgrades!!!!

Again, thank you guys. I will check out the thread in the DH section and see what kind of info I find there too.