mtbr member

Pedability of Reign X ?

Hey guys, I'm in the market for a new bike and I have been really eyeing the Reign X series. I ride my HT XC bike pretty hard, you could call it aggressive XC/ AM. I'm looking to get a bike that could possibly meet most of my demands. I am looking for a burlier bike to do AM/ with the possibility of getting into some light DH. So I guess enough rambling, how good/bad is the Reign X in terms of pedaling? I don't mind working extra hard on some XC trails with this bike. But yea, thanks guys.
    07' Wahoo Disk(Sold)
    08' Lemond Reno(Sold)
    Budget build SS in progress from spare parts...

JMU Cycling- "Just Huck It"

Slower But Faster
    The Reign Xs pedal really well, not the fastest bike up the hill by any means but heaps of traction and (like most DW/VPP/Maestro bikes) don't feel as heavy to pedal as the weight would suggest .

mtbr member
    Feb 2007
    The ReignX does pedal extremely well, especially when considering how capable it is going downhill. But like any bike with that amount of travel (which is usually set up quite soft to enjoy all the benefits on the downhill) it will bob when pedaling out of the saddle. I don't know which ReignX or which kind of build you have in mind, but the way mine is set up (X1 with 50mm stem, 36 Van, chainguide etc) doen't really suit the kind of riding you intend to do, a regular Reign would probably be better. Don't get me wrong, a ReignX can be set up for that kind of riding and the X0 has a pretty nice all mountain spec, it will just be a little more expensive. I also want to stress that it won't be the suspension that's holding you back on climbs, but the geometry, wieght and eventually the parts spec you choose.
    If you have a chance, test ride it and remember that you can easily swap parts like the stem and get a lighter crankset for instance. If you can only have one bike and you place your emphasis on going downhill, i don't think there's a better bike out there. If longer rides are your priority and you want to climb efficiently, i'd maybe look at something lighter with a longer cockpit.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Yeah, it will not climb like an XC HT, but is good for a 6.7" AM/FR bike. When I take my X1 on the same trails as my Stumpy FSR, the extra weight is noticeable, but it's way more fun on the downhills.

mtbr member
    Nothing is going to pedal like a hardtail. The biggest problem for me is the low BB hiegth, causing pedal bashing.