Sir Crashalot

Parts are All In, NRS is going to the LBS

I'll be dropping her off Wednesday for the building. Here's a list of components:

2003 16.5" NRS3 Frame w/ RS SID and CC Aheadset
    RS Pilot SL
    =======================================
    Thompson Elite X.4 Stem
    RaceFace Evolve Flat Bar
    ODI Rogue Grips
    Thompson Elite Seatpost
    Terry Fly Chromo Saddle
    FSA Afterburners
    American Classic Chromo BB
    CrankBros Candy SL Pedals
    Avid FlackJackets
    XT M760 FD
    SRAM X.9 RD
    SRAM X.9 Trigger Shifters
    SRAM PG990 Cassette
    SRAM PG970 Chain
    Avid SD7 Brakes and Levers
    XT M765 Hubs w/ Sun UFO Rims and WheelSmith DB Spokes

I would like to replace the SID and Pilot but that will have to wait until my wife forgets that I bought all this stuff; or at least until I find her a FS frame to play with.

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    that'll be a very nice build. nice mix of parts.

every time i see/read about NRS's i wanna get one (!) to have alongside my Aus-spec '05 XTC2 for more technical rides.

have you used SRAM drivetrain before? i love their gear, with X.9 on the XTC2 and X.0 on another HT.

what are 'fsa afterburners'? *pardon my ignorance*

what's your weight and what sorta riding do you do?

Sir Crashalot
    I have not used SRAM before. The Afterburner is a crankset from FSA. The AC BB and crankset weigh less than an XTR setup at less than half the price. My goal was to use better and lighter components.

I ride XC, commute, and do not race. I weight around 170 w/ gear.

How is the XTC HT? I've been looking at getting a HT frame and building a light XC bike.

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    ah, afterburner. cool. i have an FSA V-drive crankset with MegaExo BB on my Specialized HT. FSA are very nicely built; only new, but i like it so far.

the XtC2 is a very nice bike. without good scales i don't know it's weight out of the box. frame weight is allegedly ~1.3kg for the 17" Aluxx SL. geometry suits me well, nice and stiff, and overall i'm very pleased with it. i've just recently built up a new HT for something different, and to pass the XtC on to my gf. i now have a Specialized '05 S-Works M5 aluminium HT frame, built up with components of my choice. it's another great frame, although not significantly different in weight or handling or stiffness; frame weight is meant to be slightly lighter, closer to 1.2kg. overall, i find the components have made a bigger difference than the frameset, and both are excellent, and both i'd recommend.

i ride recreationally only, mostly firetrail and singletrack, and weigh ~155lbs.

Sir Crashalot
    I picked up my bike last night. It looks good. I rode it about two miles this morning before going to work and it shifts so smooth and quiet compared to the Shimano setup. I'll try to take pics today and post them tomorrow.

enjoy the view
    good to hear that your nrs is finally ready for some snap shots and for some ridin too. pls. post pics in the nrs pics post if you don't mind. we'd love to see it soon!

Members who have read this thread: 0