Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Parking lot test ride of Reign 3.

2K views 18 replies 9 participants last post by  SingleSpeedPA 
#1 ·
I went into a LBS last night and saw they had a Reign 3. I jumped at the chance to ride it. Unfortunately, it was only a parking lot ride.

First I had it weighed. It came in at 33.4 lbs. I think I remember someone else posting the exact same weight. So it confirms the weight. The Reign 3 is definitely not light.

It's really hard to tell anything in a parking lot. Especially since it was wet from rain. In addition to curbs and speed bumps, there were two sets of stairs that I tried. One set was a straight set of about 8 steps and the other was 3 steps with a landing that went into another 6 steps at a 45 degree angle.

I wasn't that impressed. Once again it was only a parking lot ride. It might be great on the trail. It was heavy and rode like it was heavy. The suspension was not plush at all. With 6 inches of travel I was expecting plush. I thought it might be the way the shocks were set up. So when I went back to the shop, I checked the Swinger and it was at 110 psi. I'm not sure what that means on the Reign, but it seemed in line with what it should be for my 150 lbs. The Splice fork may have heavier springs than what I need. I'd like to try another ride once I figure out what settings I should have for my weight. I wish I could try it on a trail also. It was really hard to tell what the Maestro suspension was doing in a parking lot.

The tires were new and slipping all over the road. The bike's suspension seemed really harsh, especially when trying to climb the steps or hitting a curb. It was XC harsh, not FR plush.

Bottom line impression was it rode like a really heavy FS XC rig. I was expecting to be impressed and I wasn't. But it wasn't a fair test either.

See less See more
#2 ·
What ppressure

k1dude said:
I went into a LBS last night and saw they had a Reign 3. I jumped at the chance to ride it. Unfortunately, it was only a parking lot ride.

First I had it weighed. It came in at 33.4 lbs. I think I remember someone else posting the exact same weight. So it confirms the weight. The Reign 3 is definitely not light.

It's really hard to tell anything in a parking lot. Especially since it was wet from rain. In addition to curbs and speed bumps, there were two sets of stairs that I tried. One set was a straight set of about 8 steps and the other was 3 steps with a landing that went into another 6 steps at a 45 degree angle.

I wasn't that impressed. Once again it was only a parking lot ride. It might be great on the trail. It was heavy and rode like it was heavy. The suspension was not plush at all. With 6 inches of travel I was expecting plush. I thought it might be the way the shocks were set up. So when I went back to the shop, I checked the Swinger and it was at 110 psi. I'm not sure what that means on the Reign, but it seemed in line with what it should be for my 150 lbs. The Splice fork may have heavier springs than what I need. I'd like to try another ride once I figure out what settings I should have for my weight. I wish I could try it on a trail also. It was really hard to tell what the Maestro suspension was doing in a parking lot.

The tires were new and slipping all over the road. The bike's suspension seemed really harsh, especially when trying to climb the steps or hitting a curb. It was XC harsh, not FR plush.

Bottom line impression was it rode like a really heavy FS XC rig. I was expecting to be impressed and I wasn't. But it wasn't a fair test either.
How hard were the tyres? alot of shop dudes will pump them up rock hard, this will cause slipping and make the ride harsh as hell especially down steps,also if the rebound was to slow the rear would pack up on the steps making it harsh as hell...

#3 ·
The tires were fine.

DIRTBURP said:
How hard were the tyres? alot of shop dudes will pump them up rock hard, this will cause slipping and make the ride harsh as hell especially down steps,also if the rebound was to slow the rear would pack up on the steps making it harsh as hell...
I didn't measure the tires, but I did a squeeze test and they felt fine. It sort of seemed the tires were providing the only suspension.

I didn't check the rebound chamber since I wasn't that familiar with the 3-way. I don't think that was the problem though since it even felt harsh on just plain old single curbs. The suspension was obviously working, it just felt like a 1999 3" travel XC suspension rather than a 2005 6" trailbike suspension.

I was back looking at it today but didn't have time to mess with it and give it another go. I'll have to go another day when I have more time.

#6 ·
Just got my Reign 2 this evening. I've ridden one a few times in the parking lot off lots of curbs and up curbs and it is definitely plush. I'm coming from a VT3 which I loved and the Reign is just a whole cut above. Lots of power, great out of saddle, and sucks up the bumps....now granted this is only in the parking lot. I'll have a good ride at some pretty technical trails on Saturday and will post a review then of how it handles off road.

#7 ·
Can't wait for that post

Max99 said:
Just got my Reign 2 this evening. I've ridden one a few times in the parking lot off lots of curbs and up curbs and it is definitely plush. I'm coming from a VT3 which I loved and the Reign is just a whole cut above. Lots of power, great out of saddle, and sucks up the bumps....now granted this is only in the parking lot. I'll have a good ride at some pretty technical trails on Saturday and will post a review then of how it handles off road.
And dont forget the pics,we all need the pics......

#10 ·
Sweet Max, what'd that baby set you back? What type of riding do you do? I'm looking at the Trance 2 or 3 (prob go for the T3 cept that I don't think I like the DUKE XC fork) and was wondering about the Reigns with their 5-6" of travel and if I wouldn't be better of w/ even a Reigh 3.

#12 ·
I've ridden the Reign 1. The suspension does feel like 6" of travel, it's very plush, and best of all it pedals well without a lot of SPV pressure, in fact I'd suggest using somewhere near the minimum SPV pressure, because that way the suspension can work as well as possible and since it pedals so well it's not going to take anything away from you energy wise.

It definitely feels a lot better than a 5" travel bike that relys heavily on SPV.

#13 ·
LyNx, it retails for $2300. I actually was able to work out a pretty good deal with the LBS, as I do some photography work for them, and we've become good friends. As they have other customers on this forum, I won't be specific, the deal is between me and the LBS. It was worth every penny I spent, however!! I do XC riding, from mild to fairly aggressive.

k1dude, not sure on the weight. I don't own a scale, so all I know is that it feels pretty close to my VT 3.

Jm, thanks for the suggestion, I'll give it a try.

#14 ·
Max99 said:
LyNx, it retails for $2300. I actually was able to work out a pretty good deal with the LBS, as I do some photography work for them, and we've become good friends. As they have other customers on this forum, I won't be specific, the deal is between me and the LBS. It was worth every penny I spent, however!! I do XC riding, from mild to fairly aggressive.

k1dude, not sure on the weight. I don't own a scale, so all I know is that it feels pretty close to my VT 3.

Jm, thanks for the suggestion, I'll give it a try.
thanks for the info Max, that's a bit out of my price range. SO I'm guessing the 3 would be arouund maybe $1700-$2000. I think I'll stick with the 22" Trance3 I was offered since they actually have it in the shop and can put it in a container on Monday and I should be riding within 2-3 weeks on it :D - I'm so sick of waiting and riding this POS Diamondback COIL X.

A fellow photographer that's cool, you deserve a deal if you work weith them and can "exchange" services.

#15 ·
k1dude said:

I'm personally very turned off by Giant these days. Of coruse, Im sure you can tell by my screen name which type of riding I prefer anymore. They can have their "Maestro" suspension technology, I'll stick to a nice, light and fast single speed or hard tail.

#16 ·
SingleSpeedPA said:
I'm personally very turned off by Giant these days. Of coruse, Im sure you can tell by my screen name which type of riding I prefer anymore. They can have their "Maestro" suspension technology, I'll stick to a nice, light and fast single speed or hard tail.
So what are you doing lurking on the Giant board in a thread about a FS bike?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.