mtbr member
    Apr 2004

Paging NRS owners 2004 frames

Are all of the pivots ont he 2004 GIANT NRS frames cartridge ball bearings including the dropout pivot (horst link)? Or do some frames still have the flange bushing/spacer sleeve combo?
    Is it possible to do a retrofit to prior year NRS frames? Or is the dropout pivot designed in a way it can't be done?
    Pictures of the new frames would be helpful!!
    Thanks.

mtbr member
    Jul 2004
    Yes the 2004 frame has industrial bearings on all pivot points, but I don't think it's backwards-compatible as the geometry has been changed from 2003 to 2004.

mtbr member
    Apr 2004

Well at least they finally did it.

Do you know if the pivot bolt at the dropout is different than previous years? That would make a retrofit much more difficult and not worth the effort.

It will improve the working life of the suspension significantly. Someone has already inquired about getting a full bearing replacement set for this frame. They gave me the part number on the side of the beaing for the dropout. It is not something I could find right away, so I'm letting my California supplier hunt it down. Hopefully it's not a custom bearing, and I will be abel to get a supply of them. It will much less expensive than the bushing/sleeve units on the pre-2004 frames.

If I am able to get some, I will look into a retrofit for the older frames. Hopefully I can work something out that doesn't require any machining of the frame.