mtbr member
    Nov 2011

P-XCR Composite 29er 0 Wheelset

Just posting this for others reference on the Gaint P-XCR Composite 29er 0 wheel set since I didn't see it posted anywhere else.

Front wheel with the default rim strip removed and no axle weighed 635 grams. Rear wheel with the default rim strip removed, no skewer, and no cassette weighed 746 grams. For the lazy that means the wheelset weighed 1381 grams total. The weight listed on Giant's site (1430 grams) is for the wheels with the default rim strips installed; mine actually weighed 1421 grams with the rim strips installed.

Both wheels come with a kit containing enough double-sided rim tape for two wraps, a presta valve, and a rim strip. Unfortunately I forgot to measure the weight of the wheelset after tubeless prep. The rear wheel comes with a really nice adjustable QR skewer that can be repositioned after tightening. If anyone here works for a Giant retailer, I'd love to know if the skewers can be purchased through retail or the warranty and parts department by themselves.

I installed a Specialized Captain Control 2.2 on the front wheel and a Schwalbe Rocket Ron Evo 2.1 on the rear wheel with a SRAM XG-1080 cassette. Each tire got two scoops of Stan's sealant. The beads set and sealed without any issues using just soap and water. The valves took a little wiggling to get them to fully seal.

davidcarson48
    I have the P-XCR 1 wheelset. I've been very happy with them. They've held up well on rocky terrain under my 200 pounds with only one minor truing. I dislike the rim strips however; after I removed a tire it was a mess. It wasn't staying put I had trouble sealing a new tire. I replaced it with two wraps of Stan's yellow and had a little more difficulty airing up the new tire, but once I got the beads set with a compressor, it was fine.

I originally though I'd swap to an Arch EX wheelset, but they have been solid and about the same weight. I do wish they were a little wider.

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    When you say the rim strip wasn't staying in place, was there anything obvious causing it like the sealant causing it to de-bond? How far had the rim strip shifted?

davidcarson48
    Yes, I definitely think the sealant had something to do with it. The stickiness of the strip has partially gone, and me using a lever to get the bead to unseat most likely shifted the strip (as it was holding air just fine while installed).

I just seems like a more complex setup than necessary. Stan's yellow has never shifted on me on numerous rims.

mtbr member
    May 2012

P-XCR Composite 29er 0 Wheelset

Our shop's Giant rep us letting us demo them. I'm trying to get my hands on them...

mtbr member
    Jul 2004
    Mine weighed 1415 g naked. Most tires mount up ok with one or two strips of stans yellow tape. They don't mount up quite as easily as my Stan's Crests wheels. Super stiff and responsive and made the bike feel more responsive if that makes sense. My only gripe would be they're a bit on the narrow side but otherwise they're good to go!
    "Pain Doesn't Hurt."

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by SADJ View Post
    Mine weighed 1415 g naked. Most tires mount up ok with one or two strips of stans yellow tape. They don't mount up quite as easily as my Stan's Crests wheels. Super stiff and responsive and made the bike feel more responsive if that makes sense. My only gripe would be they're a bit on the narrow side but otherwise they're good to go!
    I had no good success with the supplied trips either. Maybe the trick is to install with tubes overnight to really help make them stick to the double sided tape? I use gorilla tape now. Most tires can be pumped up with a floor pump. Not all though.

those rear qr's are DT Swiss RWS skewers which with DT hubs and spokes makes me think the entire wheel is just a rebranded DT Swiss wheel set. I did need to add some tension to the rear wheel spokes. I don't weigh much but I find them bomber. I do ride hard but smooth. Lots of bottom outs on those wheels with no discernible damage. Wider inner width would be nice though.

Trail Ninja
    Rim strips on mine got mangled. With my tire deflated and tires pushed to the center channel to take a look, I can see how the tire's bead f'd them up. In some spots, it looked like the tire went past the rimstrip and then pushed the edge up and crushed it. The double sided tape didn't do well to hold it. I can see a lot of white bits of sealant here and there dried up on the tape, even in the center area where it should've been covered by the rimstrip. I resorted to removing the strip and tape switching to stan's tape and using sealant filled tubes... probably 300g heavier than previously, but I rather have no issues with tubeless and flats. Wish they used something more form-fit like the Bontrager rim strip, or better yet mold in the profile without need of a silicone/rubbery rim strip. Also noticed things were a bit sloppy inside the rim cavity with assembly compounds encasing some of the nipples.

mtbr member
    These are the 135/10mm?? Is there a 142/12 conversion plugs/caps included with the set when you buy them??

Trail Ninja
    135x10. Didn't get any conversion caps with mine. Wheels came with the bike, AX Adv 29 0.