flaming Frenchy

overexcited over my future VT1

I got the chance to testride the bike wit ha French downhill team a few months back and i decided to sell my 03 Jekyll to get a VT1.

The bike has kind of a different setup in here than in the States. The frame is blue and and silver.I am going to upgrade with a Thomson stem, SDG bel air with blue outline, XT shifters and crankset, SPD 540. Hopefully I'm gonna get it next Wednesday...sigh
    Attached Images Attached Images

Reviewer/Tester
    You are going to absolutely LOVE that bike..

The VT series are great value.

R.

mtbr member

Smile 2nd Rainmans Comments and.......

hope you will post how you like the VT 1. I am especially interested in hearing what you think of the wheelset.

XC rider/racer

Great Bike

Great choice of bike and components........one suggestion though- if youre going to upgrade the cranks, have a look at the new Raceface Deus and X-type bottom bracket, lighter than XT and run outboard bearings as per the XT.
    Cheers

flaming Frenchy
    as regards the wheelset I can already tell you they are insanely stiff, nervous and reponsive as they were on the bike I demoed.In all honestly and this is based on facts regardless of the hype: I LOVE these wheels.
    Concerning the DEus I totally agree with you but the 40 grams I could scrape off would costs me an extra 100 euros which I can not afford. MY LBS swaps the race face for the XT for free. So I'll go for that...
    Thanks for the input. anys suggestion is greatly appreciated.
    Your experience reagrding the setting of the raer shok is welcome too.
    I am 6'1 and 175 pounds I ride trails quite aggressively and sometimes take it out withXC-riding friends.
    I am glad you guys answered this post as I feel you are three regular posters who truly know what they're talking about

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    hi, somebody in another post said that the 04 VT1 claimed weight is 26.5 lbs, i kind of find that hard to see with the VT but is that true?

flaming Frenchy
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. VT
    hi, somebody in another post said that the 04 VT1 claimed weight is 26.5 lbs, i kind of find that hard to see with the VT but is that true?
    I believet hat this is what is stated on the borchure I will tell you if this is actually true in a couple of days...
    I hav to admit that I wouldn't be bothered if this turned out to be true...if not...arhg...

XC rider/racer

Shock setup

Quote Originally Posted by fastcash
    Your experience reagrding the setting of the raer shok is welcome too.
    I am 6'1 and 175 pounds I ride trails quite aggressively and sometimes take it out withXC-riding friends.
    I`m 5`11" and weigh 160lbs, my VT frame size is the large.
    Most of my off-road rides/races are done with the following Swinger setup-
    100psi in the SPV valve (red)
    140psi in the main spring (black)
    rebound - wind all the way to slow, then 6 clicks back towards fast.
    Rear shock setup is very ride specific, for instance a ride with lots of downhill may be more enjoyable with less psi in the SPV to get it more active and absorbing those smaller type bumps easier.
    A ride with lots of climbing may need more psi in the SPV to get the shock a little less active and help with those hill climbs.
    Once youve found your optimum pressures, jot down a note of these and you`ll always have them readily at hand next time youre riding that particular trail.
    Cheers

Cleavage Of The Tetons
    Jan 2004

26.5 LBS? certainment Ce n'est pas vrai!

I highly doubt that claim. I am a Giant dealer, and have been riding the absolutely most tricked out VT's for three years (including prototypes), and have yet to get one under 27 with real tires on it. I would be stoked if it were, however! Bon Chance, frere!
    Last edited by rideit; 06-06-2004 at 10:53 PM.

VT3
    May 2004

... and if we just ... Mine's in the garage right now

Hey, my first post. I am excited about my VT as well.I have a VT3 waiting in the garage which I am going to put together tomorrow. Yay! All this talk about weight, I don't think VT owners are that concerned about weight. If I wanted a lighter ride I would have bought an NRS. I will put my bike up in role call as soon as it is together.

Live to Ride, Ride to Live!

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    yeah thats true, weight shouldn't be too big of an issue on the VT, climbs great either way and bombs the downhills like its nothing!

mtbr member
    I agree with rideit...there is no way that someone has a 26.5 lbs VT. I am trying to get mine down a bit (just put a pair of crossmax sl's on it this week), but I just don't see it.

One of the posts above says that VT owners don't care about weight. I would have to disagree with that. Anyone who climbs any hill cares about weight. I am not saying the VT is heavy, but it is not a featherweight either (thankfully, becuase it would not stand up to the punishment).

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Spongedog
    I agree with rideit...there is no way that someone has a 26.5 lbs VT. I am trying to get mine down a bit (just put a pair of crossmax sl's on it this week), but I just don't see it.

One of the posts above says that VT owners don't care about weight. I would have to disagree with that. Anyone who climbs any hill cares about weight. I am not saying the VT is heavy, but it is not a featherweight either (thankfully, becuase it would not stand up to the punishment).

yeah i thought it was hard to believe that a VT could be 26.5 lbs, i agree that VT owners do care about weight, i just don't think that its as big of an issue for VT owners because if weight was a big issue they wouldn't be riding the VT in the first place, they would have bought something more like the NRS then.