mtbr member
    Nov 2005

Overdrive 2 on Trance 27.5 Frameset

Can you use a standard 1.125-1.5" Tapered fork with the Overdrive 2 frameset? Looks like it might be just the top bearing that would need changing or at worst, the entire headset. Older frames can use the Overdrive 2 forks with new bearings. So why not a standard tapered steerer fork on an Overdrive 2 frame with standard 1.125 bearing on top?????

Have a fork and other parts ... Just need a frame.

Your Best Friend
    Frames are the same, headsets and steerers are different. If you have a standard tapered steerer, get a new top bearing.
    I guide and rent bikes in Northern Utah

http://www.facebook.com/AdventureEarthRides

mtbr member
    Yeah good question. I like the new Trance 27.5 (other than the colour) but was thinking of taking off the 140mm fork to put on a 160mm , X Fusion Sweep maybe. just an idea but I was thinking the same thing wheelbilly

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    Im considering the same thing. Ive ordered the cheapest Trance 27.5 with a Suntour fork, and thats going to be my first upgrade. Is the X-Fusion Sweep available in 140mm version?

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    Another question...

Can you put an overdrive2 fork in an non-overdrive2 frame?

The question really refers to how easy it will be to sell a fork with an OD2 steerer...

Your Best Friend
    No, you can't.

mtbr member
    Feb 2006
    The above answer is incorrect, you can put a OD2 fork in a non OD2 frame, the frame just needs to be capable of taking a Tapered fork 1 1/8" - 1.5" The OD2 is defined by the top headset cup being 1.25" Just make sure you sell your OD2 Fork with the headset and Stem to make it easier for the purchaser

MTB B'dos
    No, you can't. Giant for some stupid fvcking reason thinks this is cool, it's not, finding 1.25" stems is a nightmare, basically they are the only ones who make them and as for as you said, reselling a fork, market is very slim. I actually steer people away from Giant for this one little fact, because if by chance you're not that perfect size to fit the frame and stem/bar combo they've put on the bike you buy and don't live someplace with a Giant dealer it's damn hard to get stems to swap about to get the proper fit. Also, despite loving my V1 '05 Trance, I have to say I prefer the new Trek GF bikes over Giant's offerings these days.
    Quote Originally Posted by nickwm21 View Post
    Another question...

Can you put an overdrive2 fork in an non-overdrive2 frame?

The question really refers to how easy it will be to sell a fork with an OD2 steerer...
    One day your life will flash before your eyes, will it be worth watching??
    MTB Barbados
    My Phantom pics

2010 Glory custom FR
    Quote Originally Posted by LyNx View Post
    basically they are the only ones who make them
    You are so wrong. There are at least three brands that offer 1-1/4" stems: FSA, Syntace and Ritchey.
    I am pretty sure, more brands will follow, same as 35mm h-bar standard, some ppl find to rigid.
    pozdro
    frango

MTB B'dos
    Go on ANY of the major online sites people use and post links to a variety of 1.25" stems, please. They ARE NOT easily available after market, it is a DUMB fvcking idea, they are the ONLY brand using it, it is a SpecialED type decission to use it. The industry tried that size years ago and gave up on it, why the fock would Giant think a few years would change that fact

As to 35mm bars, seriously, are you telling me that you're getting too much flex out of a well made 31.8mm clamped one? I just got a 25.4mm FUNN bar and it's as stiff nearly as it's 31.8mm counter part, which shocked me because I thought the increased tubing diameter improved stiffness dramatically, but obviously I was just accustomed to using whimpy 25.4mm clam bars.

Quote Originally Posted by frango View Post
    You are so wrong. There are at least three brands that offer 1-1/4" stems: FSA, Syntace and Ritchey.
    I am pretty sure, more brands will follow, same as 35mm h-bar standard, some ppl find to rigid.
    One day your life will flash before your eyes, will it be worth watching??
    MTB Barbados
    My Phantom pics

Big Gulps, Alright!
    Quote Originally Posted by VERT1 View Post
    The above answer is incorrect, you can put a OD2 fork in a non OD2 frame, the frame just needs to be capable of taking a Tapered fork 1 1/8" - 1.5" The OD2 is defined by the top headset cup being 1.25" Just make sure you sell your OD2 Fork with the headset and Stem to make it easier for the purchaser
    If you want to get technical, the frame must have a ZS44 upper bore. I think every frame with a tapered head tube uses that now.

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    I have a 2012 anthem 29er X0 with standard od2 SID fork. If I replace it with a fox ctd 100mm or talas 80-120 1-1/8 to 1.5 tapered steerer can I confirm that I am going to need a new top bearing and a new stem also?

What size top bearing do I need?

Sorry to high jack the thread but it sort of is the same

Your Best Friend
    Just get a new drop in, standard taper headset and you're golden. And yes, you either need a new stem or an adapter which your local Giant dealer will have.

mtbr member
    Jun 2012

Overdrive 2 on Trance 27.5 Frameset

Thanks silentfoe

mtbr member
    Jun 2012

Your Best Friend

Re: Overdrive 2 on Trance 27.5 Frameset

Yep