LevenBravo

OverDrive 2 fork swap on trance 27.5

After demoing a handful of bikes I'm ordering a new Trance and plan on swapping the factory fork for a Manitou Mattoc Pro. Will the tapered steerer on the Mattoc run in the proprietary giant OD2? This will be my first giant, so excuse my ignorance on the subject. I'm excited for the bike, and it looks like I will be ordering/upgrading the aluminum 1 model since the dealer isn't a "PRO" dealer and might not be able to get the Carbon 1. They did give me a screaming quote for the aluminum models and are trying to get a carbon, I should know this weekend.

I also plan on upgrading the bars & stem. It looks like their stem may be proprietary too, is this true? Great feeling bike overall so I can overlook the proprietary nonsense once I'm setup, just hoping for decent upgrade options. Thanks!

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    From what I've read it's just the headset that makes it od2. So with a new headset and stem it will work fine. I have the trance 3 which uses the same frame and doesn't have the od2

mtbr member
    Jan 2005
    Yeah that is correct. OD2 basically means the steer tube is tapered 1.5-1.4 instead of 1.5-1 1/8. So you will need to replace the top half of your headset and your stem and you'll be all set. Only real problem is trying to resell the fork your taking off.

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    Im interested in the same fork. Are there any reviews out there? It would look great on my Trance 3 because of the red color.

LevenBravo
    Quote Originally Posted by Kamao View Post
    Im interested in the same fork. Are there any reviews out there? It would look great on my Trance 3 because of the red color.
    Thanks everyone, really not excited about the lack of resale value on the fork but what can you do. Wish they made an aluminum trance with anything above the fox evolution spec.

There are a few reviews out there on the mattoc. I'm not a manitou fanboy, had a minute fork come factory spec on a bike a handful of years ago and it wasn't anything worth keeping. The dorado on the other hand was their exception and the mattoc uses some of the same tech and is lighter than the fox and reasonably priced, so I will bite. I planned on a pike but the mattoc can be set at 140mm and looks like a fun exploratory gamble.

It's looking like they can't get a trance advanced 1, so maybe I will just eat some overall build losses and get the aluminum frame and build it up. Just wish I could get aluminum frame with the float x. Really not that impressed with some of the spec or upgrade-ability in the lineup, but the bike rides nice and I now get a more than favorable deal on Giant bikes.

Your Best Friend
    Sell your OD2 headset top bearing and stem along with the fork. Then anyone with a tapered steerer can buy your fork. Shouldn't hurt resale that bad.
    I guide and rent bikes in Northern Utah

http://www.facebook.com/AdventureEarthRides

LevenBravo
    Silentfoe - Thanks for the reply, great info I appreciate it

mtbr member
    Jun 2014
    Hey how did you get on with the Mattoc? Have just ordered one as well for my trance1 and wondering how it worked out and compared with the Talas fork? Did you set it at 140 or did you try longer? Cheers

LevenBravo
    Quote Originally Posted by NZRider View Post
    Hey how did you get on with the Mattoc? Have just ordered one as well for my trance1 and wondering how it worked out and compared with the Talas fork? Did you set it at 140 or did you try longer? Cheers

NZ,

Never ended up picking it up, the shop said it would be a while and so I started riding and time has flown by. After some serious miles and a few trips I can say overall I sure wish I had! The 32 is occasionally overwhelmed by terrain and the frame, and the evolution could really benefit from some better compression adjustment! I have settled into a sweet spot with the frame/shock one the other hand, which I thought I may be replacing too.

Basically wish fox spec'd a float 34 if they had to stick with fox, and not touched the evolution line...or put that non catalog mrp 2x w/out bash....really giant?? Otherwise bike is great overall, full review to come! AZ