Global Warming is a HOAX

Ordered a Trance X1!

Well, I tried. I went to the local bike shops and tried to get an X1. The one up in Belmont (name withheld) wouldn't deal; their idea of a discount was 10%. Sorry, Charlie.

The one in San Jose I've been going to for other things can't even get an X1 for less than full list. Again, sorry Charlie.

So I ordered one through a vendor on eBay... shipped to me, new in the box, for $2k. That's more than $700 off list. I can do the assembly and setup myself; the only thing I'm not good at is derailleurs, so it might go to REI for that.

It'll be a month before I see it, because they're holding it for me until my next paycheck comes that I have play money in. I just bought a car last weekend so my NEXT check's play money is already spent.

BTW if anybody wants the Hayes Stroker Trail brakes off of it, PM me, because they're going on eBay. Replacing 'em with Formula Oros.

I really wanted to support the LBS, but I couldn't see spending $600-800 more (price diff + tax).

Rob

mtbr member
    [SIZE=2]Iím sure youíll love it. 10% off is a fairly standard discount that nice shops give, Iíd be interested to hear from any Giant dealers on here/anyone who knows what the mark-up is = how much the shop pays for the bike and what their profit is?

Iíd be glad to take the Strokerís off your hands but oddly for the first time ever I have 3 sets of working brakes on my bikes.

But you got a very good deal and the bike you wanted in te end.
    [/SIZE]

Global Warming is a HOAX
    Thanks! Yeah I'm really looking forward to it.

I know what you mean about working brakes. My NRS1 came with old Hayes Hydraulics, which work GREAT when they work. But both master cylinders failed. Had the front rebuilt a couple years ago so it's fine, but the rear one just went, so it's off at Hayes being rebuilt. In the meantime I have an Avid BB5 cable-disc back there, and it's awful. It's pretty much binary... either disengaged, or rear wheel locked up. Very little modulation.

I have a front BB5 too I'd off if somebody actually wanted it.

Rob

mtbr member
    [SIZE=2]But the radial master cylinders in the Strokerís should have fixed the problems with earlier Hayes brakes, the Strokerís have an on/off eel but if you use them right theyíre very nicely modulated, but nothing beets the new XTís for modulation, when they work.
    [/SIZE]

mtbr member
    Apr 2004

The X1s in a local shop a few days ago were

around $2250, the X2s were $1799, the X0 was

I told the salesman if I just sold all my bikes and bought the X1 I'd be a happy man. As it is, I AM going to sell one or two of them so who knows, I may be giving a report on my "new Trance X" sometime later this year.

The OP definitely needs to give us a ride report as soon as possible.
    A blind man searches in a dark room for a black hat that isn't there. Dashiell Hammett

Global Warming is a HOAX
    Well get this... no sooner do I post this thread, it seems, then I get an email from the vendor saying uh oh, he's out of Medium X1's. Crap.

All he has left in Medium is the X0, which is $2900. Yikes, I can't afford that no matter how hard I try.

That basically leaves two choices... either I bend over and buy from the LBS for $2500, which at that point I might as well irk out the other $400, or I spend $900 on the leftover regular Trance 3 (an 07 model) from another LBS.

Dang. Not sure what to do.

Rob

mtbr member
    [SIZE=2]Damn thatís bad luck (if there such thing as luck). I would do anything but the 07, canít you order an X2 and upgrade a few things later? Or I would stretch and get the X1 from your dealer with 10% off.
    [/SIZE]

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    dont get the x1 for 2500 when u can get the x0 for 2900. Some of the ebay sellers post no payment for 6 months. go for the extra 400. it seems like the comp upgrades are worth more then the 400

mtbr member
    The Giant bikes are great values, bite the bullet and get it from your shop. And you get a warranty, among other things.
    I did, the X doesnt need platform or lockouts, so I saved $$ and got the X2. A bargain and an excellent bike!

Global Warming is a HOAX
    Here's what it looks like I'll do. The vendor has a SMALL X1, so I went to the Giant site and compared the geometry from the regular Trance to the X. I've ridden the regular Trance and it fit well (in a Medium). The X1 geometry is a bit bigger, but in a SMALL it's nearly identical. The only notable difference is the top tube length is 1" shorter, which may be a good thing for me because I have a slightly shorter-than-average reach. My NRS 1 is a small and it fits like a glove.

So it looks like I'll put the deposit on the small one. Woo!

Rob

mtbr member
    1" is a huge difference when it comes to TT length. Don't do it, at least until youhave a chance to test ride a small Trance X.

Ant

mtbr member
    Does'nt your LBS match prices? The standard price at all the LBS's around me for a X1 is $2299. I got mine for 10% off that. They are also on the internet for $2300.

Global Warming is a HOAX
    I wish they did... list is what, $2700? They take 10% off that, so it's like $2450 or so. Then add another 8.25% back for sales tax.

I should find some other Giant dealers and see what they'll do...

Rob

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    I just received my Trance x1 from an Ebay Seller. Paid 1883.00 with shipping 1992.00 New in the Box. The Local shop which I called prior to bidding to see if they could compare prices basically told me that there was no way I could get a legit bike for that price, once I convinced him he began to tell me about me missing a warranty. In the end I would rather save the cash than get a warranty that I may or may not need and that they may or may not honor. My only problem now is getting this thing put together. I'm not really a bike guru, and have only been riding good bikes for a few years now, but the other bike wasn't nearly this hard to put together. My other bike is an ORYX Freak 125 which will now be my Girlfriends bike I guess the local shop might still get some cash out of me if I can't figure this out.

Global Warming is a HOAX
    Called three more local shops today... found one that actually seems to want to sell a bike. Can get an X1 for $2300 or X2 for $1800. May try to dicker with 'em a little and see which one they'll deal on more. I'll go for either since I will be upgrading a lot of the components anyway.

If this doesn't work, then I'll likely bail on the whole thing for a while and spend the money on my new WRX...

Rob

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    I know it's about saving money but you can't buy piece of mind. What I mean is bite the bullet and buy from a LBS that you feel comfortable with and that wants to work with you. They need to make some money so look at it from that angle also. You will get proper fitting, adjustment, tune ups after the inital break in period, etc. To save a few dollars and buy an 07 when any of the new trance x's rock, would be ..... well i don't know you enough to start calling you names. Save a little more money and buy the next x up or just wait , which I know sucks. Buying site unseen, unwarrentied, unfitted, unadjusted properly, shipped from who knows where, just doesn't makes sense. Just my little rant, sorry.

Global Warming is a HOAX
    A "little" money to some may be $500, but that's not a "little" money to me. And I've NEVER gotten any real support from a LBS that I bought from anyway; at most I get an adjustment here and there, which frankly, REI will do pretty darn cheap. REI will also do the full setup on the new bike for next to nothing.

IMO it's about bang for the buck. LBS's are pricing themselves out of the market for those of us without unlimited budgets.

I think the best thing to do is to just NOT buy a new bike. I'm already pissed at the local bike club for all their internal bickering, so this is actually a really good time to say to hell with it. My NRS1 works just fine.

Rob

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    I just put money down today on an X2 in Alameda for $1530!! He offered me the X1 for 1950 + tax, but I dont really have the money for that. Plus I absolutely love the stealthed out look of the all black X2. I am planning on upgrading wheels, and other things later, so I'll spend less now to get better parts later.

Good luck on finding an X1. I hear that Eden in Castro Valley usually deals. Might be able to get some money off. Oh- and Alameda Bicycles is having a Fathers Day sale which will take 15% off the X1. Really awesome crew working there too.

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by Snarfblat
    A "little" money to some may be $500, but that's not a "little" money to me. And I've NEVER gotten any real support from a LBS that I bought from anyway; at most I get an adjustment here and there, which frankly, REI will do pretty darn cheap. REI will also do the full setup on the new bike for next to nothing.

IMO it's about bang for the buck. LBS's are pricing themselves out of the market for those of us without unlimited budgets.

I think the best thing to do is to just NOT buy a new bike. I'm already pissed at the local bike club for all their internal bickering, so this is actually a really good time to say to hell with it. My NRS1 works just fine.

Rob
    I agree, $500 is no chump change for me, and I think at the price I got mine for on ebay it was more than worth it for me. Even after shipping I am a good $400-500 less than average and around $800 less than retail. Not to mention we are talking about a bicycle here, not something with an engine and a thousand different things that could go wrong. The worst thing that could happen is that your frame would crack or break, which I think is highly unlikely. Now if your a competitor and plan on riding the bike HARD year round in competition ect, then yeah, you better get the warranty. As for me, I'm betting the frame will never give me a problem, not with todays welding technology and with a name like GIANT. All the rest I can replace or have fixed at a LBS for a much less fee if they should happen to break.

I've had my other bike, the ORYX Freak 125 for about 4 years. Of course I'm not competitor, but I have ridden it quite a bit and the most I've had to do is have it tuned at a shop once and patch a tire or two. Oh and I replaced the grips on it recently. Aside from that it has been a great bike and I bought it on EBAY for $600 new in the box shipping and all. That was also including shipping to Honduras which was where I was at when I bought it. The bike new retailed for $1200 or so. The only reason I bought this X1 is because I was planning on getting back into riding more often, and my GF needed something to ride. So she gets the ORYX lol.

I did finally get my bike put together with help from the internet. Does anyone have any pics or can take some pics of their head set? It would help to have a visual reference of another bike to see if I have this thing put together right. I rode it a while today around the neighborhood, and it seems fine, but I want to make sure.

norwoodrider4
    Aug 2007
    look, giant will be coming out with their 09 stuff pretty soon, u can expect a sneak peek by about august if not earlier, so, if u want the newest on the market wait til then, and knowing that the X was such a successful bike, i'm sure they will come out with some new things to the x line, so wait.
    Go fast, or go down

IPAs make me wanna puke.
    Dec 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Snarfblat
    A "little" money to some may be $500, but that's not a "little" money to me. And I've NEVER gotten any real support from a LBS that I bought from anyway; at most I get an adjustment here and there
    I'm curious as to what you define as "real support." Would you mind expounding?

mtbr member
    [SIZE=2]I assume he means a dealer who will go the extra to get him to buy from them, is always nice and will be supportive if anything goes wrong.

There are a lot of shops in my area who would much rather see you walk out the door than budge on anything, and thatís the odd reason why both me and my dad ride Giantís, unless your not willing to budge on the bikes you buy it always comes down to the dealers loss, like me and my dad as Giant was certainly not our first choice, but it turned out we found the best shop, that really wanted us as customers and got the best bikes too, so shop around.
    [/SIZE]

IPAs make me wanna puke.
    Dec 2004
    I understood that he didn't feel that the shop was willing to cut him a "deal" on the initial price, but he seems to be indicating that that is the sole measure of "being taken care of." I happen to know the shop in Belmont he visited and in my opinion, he couldn't be more wrong about the shop being willing to "take care of its customers." That shop is one of the best (if not THE best) around and does more for the local cycling community than ANY other shop I've been to in the area.

Furthermore, as for "taking care" of its customers, that particular shop will bend over backwards to not only insure that the bike is totally dialed, properly fit and well maintained, but the staff will also spend loads of time educating its customers -- for free.

To me, that is a much better way to "take care" of customers than to be willing to give the best price at the expense of other perks. I guess it comes down to a difference in what qualifies as being taken care of and what you value in the long term.

mtbr member
    [SIZE=2]Perhaps he used the wrong words to describe what he meant, either way he can explain what he meant for himself.
    [/SIZE]

Schwizzle
    Apr 2006
    I called around to a number of shops and 2300 seems to be standard for an X1, have heard of a few people getting it a bit cheaper though.