mtbr member
    Oct 2013

Opinions please ! On Giant VT vs Giant Trance X

Apologies if my first post is a bit of a ramble .....

I got back into mountain biking 18 months ago after a very long hiatus ! Primarily to drive my newly found desire to not smoke anymore ... it worked I haven't looked back ! I have clocked up about 2500Kms since mostly off road.

I have progressed through a steel hardtail which I still find fun to ride to building up a 26" Full Sus this being a Giant VT1 built with a mix of new and secondhand sourced parts.

I really enjoy riding the VT and it certainly is easier on my back than my hardtail on really rutted singletrack.

I took me a while to figure out the spring in the Uturn tora is a black and too heavy for me, I run the manitou swinger 3 way with 160-180Lbs of pressure and my weight is around the 165Lbs mark

I am on the cusp of the VT frame being too big for me it is a large at 20.5" which is why I keep looking at the Giant trance X's of around 2008 - 2010 vintage after I rode a medium Giant Trance (not X) 2007.

I really liked the feel of the Trance but like the 5" travel range I already have.

From what I can see on specsheets the Trance X medium is about 0.5" shorter on the toptube length which makes it similar enough to what I have (I prefer long top tubes and short stems) but with a little more standover height which wouldn't go amiss for me !

So if anyone can offer an opinion on whether its worth moving to a Trance X from the VT ideally from owned / ridden both it would be greatly appreciated.

Am I wasting my time and money on looking at doing this will I really notice any difference in the bikes handling ? I am considering this as I need to find a softer spring for the Tora and will need to service fork and shock as some point so thinking of selling the VT and getting a 3 or 4 year old Trance X.

I ride singletrack wherever I can find it - I have been working my way around the trails in New Zealand and having an immense amount of fun doing it !!

I am a little too old for jumping so like to keep my wheels on the ground these days unlike when I used to ride BMX's waaay back when !
    Giant Trance X2
    NS Bikes Surge

Show me the singletrack !!

Slower But Faster
    The Maestro suspension platform outperforms the VT setup in every way up and down the hill. The VT setup was really a glorified single pivot driving a unnecessarily complicated linkage and not a particularly great one at that. The Maestro setup is current technology and very similar to the highly rated DW Link (a little too similar if you ask Dave Weagle!).

mtbr member
    And, if you're concerned about your back taking a beating, check out the Trance X 29er, which has 5" of travel and larger wheels, which smooths things out some more.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by BrentD View Post
    The Maestro suspension platform outperforms the VT setup in every way up and down the hill. The VT setup was really a glorified single pivot driving a unnecessarily complicated linkage and not a particularly great one at that. The Maestro setup is current technology and very similar to the highly rated DW Link (a little too similar if you ask Dave Weagle!).
    Exactly!
    I have a VT2 and a '06 Trance 0, had a 2008 Trance X2, have 2011 Anthem X29er 2. The Maestro setup is a step ahead of the VT. I told my Trance X2 for $1000 about 6 months ago..you can maybe get $600 or $700 for the VT1, put in $300~400 more and get a Trance X2 from a few years ago and you'll be happy you did!

mtbr member
    Oct 2013
    Thanks to thse who chimed in on this ....

I pulled the trigger on a second hand 2008 Trance X2 frame and having moved the components over from the VT I have to say I am happy to have made the move !

For anyone looking for info on a VT in future I will say the VT is a fun ride and a very capable bike but is outclassed by the later generation designs. A great first FS bike for those like me just getting started with a fully bouncy bike if you can find one second hand in good condition at the right price go for it !

I had a lot of fun riding the VT and had no issue with tackling some tricky (for me anyway) trails.

The major difference I have found is the Trance handles more "precisely" than the VT - it changes direction more like my hard tail (which I still love to ride !) as the VT was somethimes a little slower to react.

The Trance certainly climbs better than the VT but neither bike is really an XC machine rather more a trail weapon !!!

So for now I am looking forward to hitting the trails here over summer !!
    Giant Trance X2
    NS Bikes Surge

Show me the singletrack !!

mtbr member

Re: Opinions please ! On Giant VT vs Giant Trance X

I had an 05 vt before I got my 09 trance. The vt is a single pivot, even though it looks all crazy with the design. Diamondback uses the exact same design now and calls it knucklebox suspension.

The trance rides so much better than the vt ever did. I hate the open seat tube of the vt. I had to cut my seat post to keep from shearing off that piggyback reservoir on the rear shock.

--
    Stephen

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    I would probably opt for the current trance 27.5 with 5.5 inches of travel and a wheel size slightly bigger than your 26 but not as huge as 29.