mtbr member
    Feb 2012

Opinion on Trance X1

Hey everyone.
    I'v been in the market for an upgrade for a while (Riding a Giant Rincon). I was at the pawnshop today and they have a Giant X1 there. It is in good shape, the shocks look like they have some wear(normal scratches). I sat on it and rode it a bit and it feels very nice, nothing squeeks, clunks, and shifts smooth.

I never really thought about snapping a good picture of the whole bike, but maybe from the color of the frame yall can give me a ballpark year for it?

What do you think I should offer as a price? I do not plan on paying what they are asking, if I did I would be better off buying a new one

Once I get a few ballpark offers I should ask, Ill let you know their asking price(More fun that way!)

Cheers

mtbr member
    2008 giant trance x1

Giant Bicycles Archive

size XS (14.5), S (16), M (18), L 20), XL (22)
    color Gray Anodized / Anodized
    frame ALUXX SL Aluminum, 5.0" Maestro Suspension. Frame Set Available
    fork Fox 32 F120RL, 120mm travel
    shock Fox Float RP2
    handlebar Race Face Evolve XC low rise, 31.8mm
    stem Race Face Evolve XC, 31.8mm
    seatpost Race Face Evolve XC, 350 x 30.9mm
    saddle WTB Devo Team w/CroMo rails
    pedals N/A
    shifters Shimano XT Rapidfire
    front derailleur Shimano LX
    rear derailleur Shimano XT, top normal
    brakes Hayes Stroker Trail, Disc 180F/160R
    levers Hayes
    cassette SRAM PG-980 11-34T, 9-speed
    chain Shimano HG-73
    cranks Race Face Deus XC, 22/32/44
    BB Race Face X Type, external
    rims WTB LaserDisc Trail
    hubs DT Cerit
    spokes Stainless Steel 14g
    tires Kenda Nevegal, 26x2.1 folding

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    That looks just like it. Still has the Kenda tires too. Holy smokes a 2008.. What would be a good asking price for a used 4 year old Trance? Like a grand or so? 1200?

mtbr member
    i bought a brand new 2009 trance x4 last sprint for a bit over $1000 (yes, retail is much cheaper on a x4). if its in great shape i would start at around $750-800. you have to ask yourself, how often do they get mountain bikers in the pawn willing to pay high end $ for a bike? let them say no to your offer first before you go up. if it is in good shape you can go up a bit...

giant trance x1 mountain bike
    2008 Giant Trance X1 - Medium
    2008 Giant Reign X1 - LARGE

all found via this search site... SearchTempest - The EASY way to search Craigslist

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    True that. Considering they probably paid the poor sap ~700 bucks for it. I guess someone coulda pawned it and never paid up, too.

Now the fun part... They are asking $1,900!!!. I might go in today and talk to them a little about it.

MTB B'dos
    Despite what you think, pawn shop owners aren't stupid, they also know how to use the internet and find out the true value of products. That bike sold for probably anywhere between $2,100-$2,400 new, so used you take off for that fact, and that it has no warranty, but if it's in good condition that plays in. Does it look like it was hardly ever ridden, if so I doubt they'll take less than $1,200 for it, if you manage to get it for $1k feel good, that's a good deal once nothing's worn out. To me that would be a pretty decent price for that bike with the parts it had, even 4 years old - only things you might need to replace would be tyres and maybe grips, age shouldn't have effected anything else really.
    One day your life will flash before your eyes, will it be worth watching??
    MTB Barbados
    My Phantom pics

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    I know they aren't stupid. I've been around Pawn Shops for years. They marked it 1900 expecting to sell for ~1600.
    The frame and components seem good. Tires are ok still. Just wear on the fork ("Fox" is scratched off on one side, but who cares about that)

I didn't get a chance to go there today. Ill have to wait untill mid week.

I don't really need a new bike yet. Ill probably offer them a grand and see what they say. If they won't go below 1500 Ill just leave probably, not a big deal for me.

Ill post back with my sucess or fail story.

locked - time out
    Mar 2012
    I had this exact same bike. In 2008 I paid 1950.00 for it brand new so the pawn shop has this extremely overpriced. I sold it in 2010 for 1600.00 in a local classified add here in Utah. If its in good shape I would say 1100.00 would be a good deal but I would not pay anything over 1400.00.

That it is one sweet bike, I absolutely loved that bike. If you're wanting a great capable trail bike, you found it.

What size Trance are you? I might have something for ya.

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    I had a 2008 Trance X1 and upgraded to a 2012 Trance X2. Don't get me a wrong the X1 is a good bike but they're asking for TOO MUCH money for the following reasons:

1. No tapered headtube
    2. No thru axle fork
    3. No boost valve

With the money that they're asking for you could easily buy a 2011 Trek Fuel or Remedy with all those features. Heck you probably find a 2011 Trance X2 for that kind of money or slightly more.

I had a 2008 Trance X1 and upgraded the brakes to Elixir CR's,I sold my bike for $1140, although I think it was probably worth $1200 but I felt satisfied. Then again I bought it for $1450 plus tax so I got a great deal from the start. Note that I also threw in a set of Shimano DX pedals with my Trance X1 as well.

A 2008 Trance X1 is a good bike but unless it's been upgraded I would be very hesitant to spend more than $1,100. Even then upgrades will only take a 2008 Trance X1 so far compared to even a 2011 Trance X4.

If the bike has an XTR groupset it's understandable why he would want more money. However even then the basic platform itself can only be improved so much compared to a new bike.

locked - time out
    Mar 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by mefistofeles View Post
    I had a 2008 Trance X1 and upgraded to a 2012 Trance X2. Don't get me a wrong the X1 is a good bike but they're asking for TOO MUCH money for the following reasons:

1. No tapered headtube
    2. No thru axle fork
    3. No boost valve

With the money that they're asking for you could easily buy a 2011 Trek Fuel or Remedy with all those features. Heck you probably find a 2011 Trance X2 for that kind of money or slightly more.

I had a 2008 Trance X1 and upgraded the brakes to Elixir CR's,I sold my bike for $1140, although I think it was probably worth $1200 but I felt satisfied. Then again I bought it for $1450 plus tax so I got a great deal from the start.

A 2008 Trance X1 is a good bike but unless it's been upgraded I would be very hesitant to spend more than $1,100. Even then upgrades will only take a 2008 Trance X1 so far compared to even a 2011 Trance X4.

If the bike has an XTR groupset it's understandable why he would want more money. However even then the basic platform itself can only be improved so much compared to a new bike.
    He is right, they are selling 2011 X2 at my local bike shop for 2000.00

mtbr member
    Any updates? Did you get it? How much?

locked - time out
    Mar 2012

2011 Giant trance advanced SL for sale

Thought I would throw this up incase there is anyone in the market for a new Trance.

2011 Giant Trance Advanced - Full Carbon
    Excellent Condition.
    Size Medium
    Drive train, Wheels, and Brakes all Shimano XT Dyna-Sys
    2,700.00 OBO
    Michael 801-564-1591
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Opinion on Trance X1-trance-.jpg