Giant Anthem

Only 1 season and Trance bearings fail

After taking apart my 06 trance 2 frame from a mud fest the bearings seem destroyed-they don't roll very smooth and in fact it took me some time to free one of them up.

Do I need new one's-I'm assuming I do but the bike only has a season and a half on it-no bueno

Also the bottom bracket bearing cup deals feel pretty rough as well (Race face evolve) Is replacement necessary?

Overall, how often does one change this stuff-every season? (Ohio weather, somewhat muddy-have to wash after every ride. 2 rides per week)
    Last edited by 2fst4u; 06-26-2008 at 08:16 AM.

mtbr member
    Feb 2007
    If you ride in wet/muddy conditions often, then expect frequent bearing maintenance/replacement ... every season sounds about right based on what you described. The way you wash your bike may influence the frequency of the bearing replacement also (e.g. if you hose your bike down and do not pay very careful attention to the water pressure near the bearing areas they will deteriorate even quicker).

The Raceface Evolve BB bearings (X-type) are notoriously bad, so no surprise there, but don't count on Raceface customer service to help you any ... they are horrible. Other than that the crankset itself is decent enough to merit a new set of bearings ... just as long as they're not Raceface bearings of course.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by MacGiv'er
    If you ride in wet/muddy conditions often, then expect frequent bearing maintenance/replacement ... every season sounds about right based on what you described. The way you wash your bike may influence the frequency of the bearing replacement also (e.g. if you hose your bike down and do not pay very careful attention to the water pressure near the bearing areas they will deteriorate even quicker).

The Raceface Evolve BB bearings (X-type) are notoriously bad, so no surprise there, but don't count on Raceface customer service to help you any ... they are horrible. Other than that the crankset itself is decent enough to merit a new set of bearings ... just as long as they're not Raceface bearings of course.
    [SIZE=2]+ 1, Hope and XT bottom brackets are both a lot more reliable and try to stretch out the period between full washes, just brush the mud off or something when it's dry.
    [/SIZE]

Giant Anthem
    Thanks guys- I appreciate the advice

So...I can I use XT bottom bracket with the race face crank?

mtbr member
    [SIZE=2]Race Face and Shimano external bottom brackets/cranks are interchangeable.
    [/SIZE]

mtbr member
    Nov 2006
    Some people replace their bearings with non-OEM bearings such as those from Enduro which claim to last longer. Its been reported that sometimes its actually cheaper to buy each of the bearings seperately than to buy a "kit" from them.

http://www.enduroforkseals.com/id55.html