mtbr member
    Aug 2005

Upset OMG Cable routing woes!!! PLEASE HELP lol

Okay boys, I've got a problem! I've got a new Reign 1 and I've read about cable routing problems the entire time I was researching for a new bike, and they couldn't have been more right. My rear brake hose has pinched in three places; and every time i splint it, it pinches somewhere else! lol. Has anyone successfully fixed this problem, rerouted the line somehow? Please let me know because I don't want my next hose line to pinch too. I appreciate it boys.

MTB B'dos
    Quote Originally Posted by CupCrazynNJ
    Okay boys, I've got a problem! I've got a new Reign 1 and I've read about cable routing problems the entire time I was researching for a new bike, and they couldn't have been more right. My rear brake hose has pinched in three places; and every time i splint it, it pinches somewhere else! lol. Has anyone successfully fixed this problem, rerouted the line somehow? Please let me know because I don't want my next hose line to pinch too. I appreciate it boys.
    Frame size makes a lot of difference in this area concerning the design. It seems that the smaller (S, M) frames sufer more so than the larger (L, XL)ones. Depending on which size you have you will then need to figure how aggresive of a re-route you need. More later when I have the chance.
    One day your life will flash before your eyes, will it be worth watching??
    MTB Barbados
    My Phantom pics

mtbr member
    Dec 2005

Me Too!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by CupCrazynNJ
    Yea, I have an 06 Reign 1 and got the exact same thing! It pinched on the second ride and that was all she wrote for the rear brake. Is this a design flaw or what? I ran a new cable and bled figuring the line was just defective. Two rides into this new line so far so good. If it happens again I will probably try the Goodridge Stainless steel tubing next. Now I'm concerned though, I thought I just got a defective one. FYI my frame size is 18".

mtbr member
    I have a 20", 2005 Reign 2, and I had the same problems. I took it back to the LBS (1 week after buying it) and they thought something was a bit sus because at the same time, the front cable had also split (it was because they zip tied the hydraulic cable to the wheel arch and to the crown, so when the fork compressed, it bent it and snapped the cable). So I walked in with two broken cables, and they reluctantly fixed it for me. I havent had any problems since then (9 months later) and this is how:
    I now have braided cables, and where the rear cable runs past the rear link, there is a of a twist in the cable, which makes it bow out and away from the danger area. I'll take a photo tonight when I get home from work for clarity.
    Good luck getting it sorted

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by joshanonymous
    I have a 20", 2005 Reign 2, and I had the same problems. I took it back to the LBS (1 week after buying it) and they thought something was a bit sus because at the same time, the front cable had also split (it was because they zip tied the hydraulic cable to the wheel arch and to the crown, so when the fork compressed, it bent it and snapped the cable). So I walked in with two broken cables, and they reluctantly fixed it for me. I havent had any problems since then (9 months later) and this is how:
    I now have braided cables, and where the rear cable runs past the rear link, there is a of a twist in the cable, which makes it bow out and away from the danger area. I'll take a photo tonight when I get home from work for clarity.
    Good luck getting it sorted
    I agree SS cables would fix this I think, but it's not right to spend this amount of $$ and get a faulty design! Giant should upgrade us to SS cables in my opinion if that's what is needed.
    My problem is not the cable being piched by some part. It's the opposite. The cable bows out toward my leg and the compression of the shock really bows it out! Actually if I'm pedaling over a large bump my leg will brush the hose it comes out so far. When the bike is sitting with no load the hose run's perfectly right along the frame.

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    Not sure if this has anything to do with it, but is the rear brake line
    fixed, or stuck so that it cannot move in the hose guide?

I have a 16" Reign, and when it moves thru the suspension stroke,
    the brake line is "free" and slides thru the guides as the suspension moves,
    with no binding, pinching, or weird cable movement. This is also true for the rear
    derailluer cable, too.

Hope this helps.

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    This is the way I got it for now to stop the cables from hitting my calves.The zip-tie keeps going strait up under compression.Shotty but it works.
    Attached Images Attached Images

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    Thanks, I will give that a try. I thought about zip tieing it but did not want to go around the frame. Yours looks like it will stay away from the paint?

Try re-routing your cables onto the down tube. Before and during the zip tie process be sure to take most of the air out of your shock to see where the cables should be for the least amount of movement or possibilities of kinking the cable.

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    WOW. Lot's of opinions. First off this isn't an isolated incident as should be obvious. I read a lot of complaints about the '05's cable routing and obviously they haven't fixed anything. Secondly I ride a 20'' and it pinched before I took it for a ride! I assembled it and when I test rode it to make sure it was all working properly I noticed the pinch. Thirdly, I have wire ties and all sorts of jury rigged attempts on this thing and it just looks shotty for such an expensive sick bike. Cables poke me in the legs too, and I think they are simply too long as well. As far as sliding vs. sticking, I zip-tied mine on too cause the stupid plastic clamps didn't work, they just fell off lol. I've left them loose to allow movement, but that doesn't seem to work. I've heard about the ss braided but I don't think I should pay for that. Giant should have something that works. I'm gonna see if i can get them to warranty the line and rerout it somehow....P.S. whoever took the pic of their fix needs to clean their bike haha. Looks sweet. Thanks for all the ideas, keep the discussion going. I also created a custom shock guard for my bike cause of the weird placement of the mounts....might want to consider it too.

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    Cup Crazy,that is 100% poached Watchung mud,I keep it on to cover the ugly gray paint.Post a picture of the shock guard you made to give us some ideas.Thanks

MTB B'dos
    CupCrazyNY, you're absolutely right all the cables that come stock on the Trance/Reign are way too long. I had the prob of the cable bowing out and hitting my leg when I first got mine, but I've since shortenend my cables and that prob stopped. The routing sucks even if you shorten the cables which causes kinking as said and the only solution it to use cable ties to help move the mounting points further up the TT and thereby create a more "fluid" line of travel for the cables. Do a search for Telemarc and see how he tried to solve his problems w/ the cables - was a good idea.

Personally I've shortened my gear cables and just actually replaced them with some AVID Flak Jackets cables to help sort the problems. My rear hydraulic line still needs shortening, but I'm too chicken to do it since I know how much hassle bleeding hydraulics can be. I will eventualy (soon hopefully) replace the stock hydro lines w/ braided and shorten at the same time (w/ some help from my bro who owns a company that makes lines and the sort)

Moral of the story here is GIANT needs to re-evaluate the placing of the cble bosses/stops on these bikes and move them to create better/smoother cable routing that eliminates kinking fo the cables. I have considered adding/chaning the locations myself, but don't quite feel like voiding the frames warranty quite yet so I justmove them and use cable ties to piggy back to each other - especiqally the RD cable as it makes some pretty damn tight turns using GIANTs routing.
    Last edited by LyNx; 01-12-2006 at 05:28 AM.
    MTB Barbados
    My Phantom pics

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    Yea! it's retarded that a 3500 dollar bike can't come well built. The idea of us going out and buying ss braided hydraulic lines is absurd! I think that's what I may end up doing but that is crap! I've tried everything and anything under the sun and nothing works. Plus its looking so ghetto it bothers me. I'm afraid to tackle shortening the rear brake line too haha, but I've had no other cable problems. The others are an acceptable legnth although the front is a tinch too long but hasn't pinched just yet. I'll keep you posted if they stand by there machine or not, and i'll get you guys pics of that guard I built for the rertarded shock mount lol. Later boys.

Quote Originally Posted by LyNx
    CupCrazyNY, you're absolutely right all the cables that come stock on the Trance/Reign are way too long. I had the prob of the cable bowing out and hitting my leg when I first got mine, but I've since shortenend my cables and that prob stopped. The routing sucks even if you shorten the cables which causes kinking as said and the only solution it to use cable ties to help move the mounting points further up the TT and thereby create a more "fluid" line of travel for the cables. Do a search for Telemarc and see how he tried to solve his problems w/ the cables - was a good idea.

Personally I've shortened my gear cables and just actually replaced them with some AVID Flak Jackets cables to help sort the problems. My rear hydraulic line still needs shortening, but I'm too chicken to do it since I know how much hassle bleeding hydraulics can be. I will eventualy (soon hopefully) replace the stock hydro lines w/ braided and shorten at the same time (w/ some help from my bro who owns a company that makes lines and the sort)

Moral of the story here is GIANT needs to re-evaluate the placing of the cble bosses/stops on these bikes and move them to create better/smoother cable routing that eliminates kinking fo the cables. I have considered adding/chaning the locations myself, but don't quite feel like voiding the frames warranty quite yet so I justmove them and use cable ties to piggy back to each other - especiqally the RD cable as it makes some pretty damn tight turns using GIANTs routing.

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    i am not sure what exactly is everyone talking about? a pic can help a lot, thx.

mtbr member
    Sep 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by xenochimera
    i am not sure what exactly is everyone talking about? a pic can help a lot, thx.
    The Maestro models have only been out a year and we have only encountered this once and it was a coulple of weeks ago. I personally have a Trance 18in and I looked a my line and sat on it and the cable did not bow out. I have IRD metawire gear cables and it hits my ankle on the drive side when I sit on it and that is the only problem I have had with the cables. It is kinda odd. I will bring it up the next time the rep rolls around.

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    Yep, got cable bowing too. Mid trail, I tried a quick fix tried to cable tie the rear hydro line to the rear derailer cable right below the seat. Tested it and got extra resistance when shifting...undo...

Design needs a small tweak, Giant please step up and advise on fixing this so we do not have to fix this through trial and error. - Our trials and your error btw :-)

MTB B'dos
    Quote Originally Posted by 2nudes
    Yep, got cable bowing too. Mid trail, I tried a quick fix tried to cable tie the rear hydro line to the rear derailer cable right below the seat. Tested it and got extra resistance when shifting...undo...

Design needs a small tweak, Giant please step up and advise on fixing this so we do not have to fix this through trial and error. - Our trials and your error btw :-)
    It goes away after a while, or maybe after you shorten up the cables - not sure which and don't plan on experimenting w/ the new AVID cables I have in now. FYI I didn't shorten the rear hydro line and it also stopped bowing out.
    MTB Barbados
    My Phantom pics

"Clatto Verata Nicto"
    Feb 2006

Bettter than a zip tie

I took a length of accessory cord (3-5mm or so. REI/Climbing supply item. Color coordinated, of course!) and tied each end to the rear brake line and shifter cable, routing it through the toptube/seatpost triangle. The length of the cord will limit how far out the cables can bow.

Accessory cord is a knitted nylon and non abrasive and very paint-friendly. When the suspension is active the cord isn't touching anything.

I considered using a zip tie behind the seat tube, and thought that when the suspension goes up the zip tie may contact the tube, pulling the cables in and rubbing the paint. I think this worked a little better. Haven't had any problems since.

If needed I can post a pic.

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by TexReign
    I took a length of accessory cord (3-5mm or so. REI/Climbing supply item. Color coordinated, of course!) and tied each end to the rear brake line and shifter cable, routing it through the toptube/seatpost triangle. The length of the cord will limit how far out the cables can bow.

Accessory cord is a knitted nylon and non abrasive and very paint-friendly. When the suspension is active the cord isn't touching anything.

I considered using a zip tie behind the seat tube, and thought that when the suspension goes up the zip tie may contact the tube, pulling the cables in and rubbing the paint. I think this worked a little better. Haven't had any problems since.

If needed I can post a pic.
    Yeah-Yeah post a pic

"Clatto Verata Nicto"
    Feb 2006
    I'll try to get a photo posted this evening.

Leaving early in the morning to drive 14 hours to Tucson and begin a week of riding in Arizona. If I get busy it may be ten days or so before I get 'er done . . .

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    Just an update on my 06 Reign 1.I replaced the kinked cable and ran it a bit shorter when installing the new one. No more kinking now after a fair bit of ridding. The cable does still bow out though and hit my calf once and a while. I'm done with it though, as long as the brakes work. I still think it is total BS that this isn't right and can not BELIEVE Giant isn't ringing in on this here. I guess when your a "big gun" in the bike business volume is more important than quality (ie. they sell more $300- $800 bikes that $3500 bikes so piss on us!)
    Whatever though, other than this issue I'm 110% satified with the bike and love it!

"Clatto Verata Nicto"
    Feb 2006

Cable Fix

Here's a photo of how I addressed the issue of the brake and shifter cables bowing out under suspension compression. Simple and effective.

When the suspension moves upward, the cord holding the cables will move up and forward, so there's no rubbing on paint.

I used spiral wire wrap to reinforce the shifter cable to help prevent kinking and allow the cord a little float in it's operation.

Arizona06-11a.jpg
    Last edited by TexReign; 03-11-2006 at 10:01 AM. Reason: Photo didn't make it.

MTB B'dos
    I have a further suggestion to all those suffering from this and it "came to me" when I was installing my new HOPE Mono Mini discs. The bowing out could be caused by which way you "twist" the hydro housing when you install the caliper, try twisting the opposite way (inward) and see if the housing doesn't now bend in. BTW the HOPE's are damn sweet, got to do some pics and post up.
    MTB Barbados
    My Phantom pics

In exile
    I put a Goodridge line, and once the line was bled right, it works great. I also zip tied it to the top tube, instead of the little guide. I don't much worry about cable rub and such, so if it isn't kinking, I am golden.