Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

The OFFICIAL "I broke my Lower Link on my 2010 Reign X" thread.

209K views 642 replies 158 participants last post by  jokolo 
#1 · (Edited)
I figured that I would start a thread devoted to this issue. Please post here if you broke your lower link on your 2010 Reign X. Please leave details like frame size, riding style etc... Also kiwanoron has posted a comment on The Official Giant facebook page. Please feel free to go check it out and post something. The more the better. Heres the link http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=503900379#!/giantbicycles?v=wall&story_fbid=385882708001

frame size - Large
riding style - trail/all mountain
Link was snapped during a climb.

Here is a copy of an email sent to one of the Giant reps:

Giant Rep,

Ron from Las Vegas here.

Here is a group photo of the "Las Vegas Reign Gang"

We did not get everyone in the group with a Reign X to get in this photo but most everyone is on the link below, 9 members with 2010's and 14 total members on Reign X's:

http://www.meetup.com/thelvmbg/photos/849495/

I have a a questions about the Lower Suspensions links. Does Giant know they have a problem with the 2010 Reign X links snapping. We thought it may have been from the link hitting the front derailleur when the suspension compressed(not the case). Someone also said it was due because of a long screw in the ISCG tab(not the case in any of the snaps I have seen). We have seen 5 links snap(in my group alone) and they were all on climbs. Just wondering when mine is going to snap? I have seen quite a few posts on MTBR about this problem. What is Giant doing to fix this?

From the Giant Web Site - "If you're going to bomb wicked steeps and stick big drops, you better trust your ride. No suspension has proven more trustworthy than Maestro. With 6.7 inches of cush travel and an all-new, incredibly lightweight and stable frame, think of Reign X as your all-mountain security blanket." - I am not feeling to Secure about my bike now!

Please call me when you get a chance.

~Ron

See less See more
#525 ·
How to install a 2008 reign link on a 2010 reign x

HOW TO INSTALL A 2008 REIGN LINK ON A 2010 REIGN X

WARNING: This post shows you how to cut/modify your frame. I am not responsible if you hurt yourself, void your warranty, or destroy your frame. PERFORM THIS MODIFICATION AT YOUR OWN RISK!!!

IMPORTANT NOTE: I am running a single chainring with an inner bashguard (BBG) setup on this bike along with a ISCG mount Blackspire Stinger Chainguide. If you plan to use a traditional chainguide or maintain your warranty, cutting the ISCG tab would probably be a dumb idea.

HERE GOES!!!

I received my new link from the Giant Dealer. It is made for a 2008 regular Reign model (yes I'm sure). I paid $55 plus shipping from Giant's warehouse in California.
The first thing I did was check to see if my hardware fit properly. Thankfully there were no surprises and everything fit perfectly. I eyed up the geometry of the two and they are nearly exact matches as far as bolt-center distances and arch/bends.

To install I had to cut and file the ISCG tab to a point where it was nearly flush with the BB shell in order to avoid any interference with the link on top-out of the suspension travel. I used a regular hacksaw blade for the task. I also made sure to orient the teeth to cut during the push stroke to keep fragments of aluminium out of my BB cup.

A little handiwork with a file to contour the "nub" for clearance and you're set. I applied a strip of electrical tape to the link to prevent scratches from the file.

Well, it looks like I should have used a little more tape, but nonetheless, the results are shown. I would recommend applying a little nail or hobby paint to the filed area to prevent corrosion and chipping.

If you have questions, feel free to ask. I do not have the part number for the link, I simply asked my Giant dealer to order a 2010 Reign Lower Link. After checking with his contacts, my dealer said that 2008-model links were available and that Giant said it would work on a Regular Reign. Thank you Shoryuken for the original post on replacing this part. Hopefully I have cleared up any misunderstandings others have had about this fix.

#526 ·
HOW TO INSTALL A 2008 REIGN LINK ON A 2010 REIGN X

WARNING: This post shows you how to cut/modify your frame. I am not responsible if you hurt yourself, void your warranty, or destroy your frame. PERFORM THIS MODIFICATION AT YOUR OWN RISK!!!

IMPORTANT NOTE: I am running a single chainring with an inner bashguard (BBG) setup on this bike along with a ISCG mount Blackspire Stinger Chainguide. If you plan to use a traditional chainguide or maintain your warranty, cutting the ISCG tab would probably be a dumb idea.

HERE GOES!!!

I received my new link from the Giant Dealer. It is made for a 2008 regular Reign model (yes I'm sure). I paid $55 plus shipping from Giant's warehouse in California.
The first thing I did was check to see if my hardware fit properly. Thankfully there were no surprises and everything fit perfectly. I eyed up the geometry of the two and they are nearly exact matches as far as bolt-center distances and arch/bends.

To install I had to cut and file the ISCG tab to a point where it was nearly flush with the BB shell in order to avoid any interference with the link on top-out of the suspension travel. I used a regular hacksaw blade for the task. I also made sure to orient the teeth to cut during the push stroke to keep fragments of aluminium out of my BB cup.

A little handiwork with a file to contour the "nub" for clearance and you're set. I applied a strip of electrical tape to the link to prevent scratches from the file.

Well, it looks like I should have used a little more tape, but nonetheless, the results are shown. I would recommend applying a little nail or hobby paint to the filed area to prevent corrosion and chipping.

If you have questions, feel free to ask. I do not have the part number for the link, I simply asked my Giant dealer to order a 2010 Reign Lower Link. After checking with his contacts, my dealer said that 2008-model links were available and that Giant said it would work on a Regular Reign. Thank you Shoryuken for the original post on replacing this part. Hopefully I have cleared up any misunderstandings others have had about this fix.
Might want to look at reinforcing the link also with some J-B Weld. It has about twice the breaking strength as aluminum used in the link and should make it stronger. Did this on Reign 1 after I snapped it on a steep climb trying to get over a boulder.

Remove the paint on the inside grove of the link and fill it in with some J-B Weld.

Attachments

#635 ·
Thank you Giant for not fixing the problem. It made me try a different bike company. To be honest, it was the best thing to ever happen. Santa Cruz has been so good to me!!! I now own three bikes from them and am buying my wife one now that her Giant is now sold. I am so impressed that I can send them an email and they reply within a day!!!! Once they even called me to solve my problem. Once again, thank you for driving me away and spending money on a far better product.

#5 ·
2010 Reign X0

I rode a very nice 2010 Reign X0 that I rented in Moab. I was supposed to have it two days but the lower linkage broke on my first day. Size Medium (18 inch, rider weight 185 lbs).

We were climbing Amasaback, little more than 1/2 way up the trail when I noticed,so it can be from hitting any massive drops, casuse that didn't happen. Maybe 2' to 3' max off some small ledges. I am no power climber either, so I can't say I was powering up, because I was in granny ring most of the time.

One question to Giant, the links look very similar to the Reign and the Reign X. Not certain as to whether the length might be different but the strength / thickness of the links appears similar. I ended up riding a Reign 1 for three days in Moab and had an absolute blast on it. Just wished it had a Talas 36 rather than a Float 150.

I have a 2008 Reign that I ride and my XC/AM bike and have no had any issues with the links, nor have I heard of anyone having issues. So I wonder why the RX has the issues.

From what I understand the leverage ratios are the same, with the Reign having a 3:1 ratio using 2" stroke and 6" travel, and the RX 2.9:1 using a 2.25" stroke and 6.7" travel.

Did the pre 2010 RX have lower links breaking or is it just the 2010 RX with the problem?

#7 ·
rideitall said:
We were climbing Amasaback, little more than 1/2 way up the trail when I noticed,so it can be from hitting any massive drops, casuse that didn't happen. Maybe 2' to 3' max off some small ledges. I am no power climber either, so I can't say I was powering up, because I was in granny ring most of the time.

One question to Giant, the links look very similar to the Reign and the Reign X. Not certain as to whether the length might be different but the strength / thickness of the links appears similar. I ended up riding a Reign 1 for three days in Moab and had an absolute blast on it. Just wished it had a Talas 36 rather than a Float 150.

Did the pre 2010 RX have lower links breaking or is it just the 2010 RX with the problem?
Just to point out the obvious - you can not say the demo bike was not abused at some point unless you were the 1st to ride it. If it's a demo in Moab, it's been used hard. Maybe that moment was just the last straw ;)

The links on the Reign have no opening to clear ISCG tab's and that is where they are failing so I would say the links on the two bikes are totally different. Besides differences of over 1mm on a surface location may not be very obvious to the consumer but can make huge differences in strength. That said, it could be a material or processing issue so until we see what Giant does to fix it, we can't assume it's due to shape.

Not aware of any pre 2010 RX frames ever braking the link, but that doesn't mean it never happened. That said, I have done some very large and abusive stuff and a ton of trail riding on my '07 with no issues (except of course the frame is 1.5lbs heavier)

#13 ·
Good to know about this before pullingt the trigger, which I was very close on doing. I ride all of AM trails and XC stuff and weigh 210. Hmm might have to wait to see if there is a fix and how soon it would be. The Regin X was up against the Firebird which I hear some flexing issue but no brakage just yet or posted about yet.

Hope to hear more soon about this issue and hopfully a solution to it!

#15 ·
crank1979@optusnet.com.au said:
I'm interested to hear more about this as i've not heard about it.
Well some of the local riders here have mentioned time to time but it didn't seem as if they were too bothered or happen too often to make a noise about it. Actually it's basically a non-issue kind of thing.
For me this is a bigger issue than it actually is cause I can really flex a bike when I am climbing. I am not not powerhouse climber of any sort but bikes tend to flex under my weight when I am climbing.

#18 ·
I have a 2010 Reign SX that I have had for a little over a month now. I haven't broken a link yet, but it concerns me that so many are breaking because I ride fairly hard and hit pretty decent size jumps. I talked to the shop who sold me my bike and they haven't seen any broken links on any of the bikes they have sold. If I break my link I'll let you guys know.

#20 ·
Broken, pictures

I just replaced the lower link for my friend. If you look at the last picture you can see where his crank hit the chain stay when the link snaped and everything flexed, the chain stay has a nice size dent in it! It is a good thing we had the shop order a few extra lower links for us to keep in the tool box. I hope Giant fixes this problem SOON!!!

Attachments

#618 ·
I just replaced the lower link for my friend. If you look at the last picture you can see where his crank hit the chain stay when the link snaped and everything flexed, the chain stay has a nice size dent in it! It is a good thing we had the shop order a few extra lower links for us to keep in the tool box. I hope Giant fixes this problem SOON!!!
hey bro...is still there any spare lower links available online? where can i possibly get one? I have a reign x2 and same thing happened...the lower link snapped just like the one on the pics you posted. pls advice...thank you..

#21 ·
Coming from the Vegas group....

Just an FYI to everyone outside of the Las Vegas group. Most of the links that are being broke are coming on XC trails. Not too many people in the group are jumping their bikes. At the most people are doing 2-3 ft drops. We do ride fast going down, but this bike should definitely take it.

By the way, I am one of three riders that have the 08 in the group and have not had the problem. Sorry had to pour some salt on the wound. :D

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.