Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Yeah, I've decided to just keep the bike and deal with it, I love how it rides and everything.

mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    Can anybody say for sure if the 2012 bike has an improved (3rd gen???) linkage?

Jan 2012
    welp, guess I will be getting a Glory 2 instead of a Reign SX
    Leftys creep me out

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    After some thought, I decided to sell my Reign X1 and keep my 2011 Reign 0. It is a real shame, because I actually preferred the X.

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    my link is broken!
    Last edited by Simon; 01-29-2012 at 07:08 AM.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Simon, which link is that? New or old?

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by paradox11235 View Post
    Simon, which link is that? New or old?
    This is the new design but still broken!!!!

mtbr member
    change bike: I did

sunday the last kiss....

mtbr member
    Feb 2010
    It's been over 3 weeks and I still don't have my link. When I broke it last July, it took a month to get a replacement. My LBS is on it and Giant keeps giving the run-around. This is completely unacceptable. I don't know what they are doing over there but it seems to me they should be a little more responsive to rectifying what is clearly a design flaw. If I break this 3d link, I'm going to take more serious action. That said, Giant alleges, though I have zero reason to believe them at this point, that this link is a new 3d generation design link. We'll see when I break it in another 6 months.

mtbr member
    Feb 2010
    Oops double post.

Space Cowboy
    Quote Originally Posted by TwoWheelKing View Post
    Hey shoryuken,

Your post about installing that mystery link were great! I really appreciate all the information. So far, this is the only hopeful solution to the lower link problem that I come across. Without that cutout for the ISCG tab, I can almost guarantee that the link you installed will not break. The reason I believe this is because Iíve broken 5 links (3 2010 and 2 2011 link designs) and they have all failed right on the cutout. The left side (non drive side) which does not have a cutout, has never broken even after continuing to ride with right arm of the link fractured. Thus, your solution is the one I would like to pursue.

However, I have two questions:

Were you ever able to identify where that mystery link came from? Is it from a Reign? Faith? Is it proprietary to the Reign X?

Also, you said that the new link lowered you rear triangle. I know that pivot placement is very sensitive to the bikes handling characteristics. Moving the pivot location down could potentially affect the bikes pedaling platform and its spring rate curve. My question is, do you notice a difference in pedaling performance (bobbing in the suspension) and does the bike feel different on small bump compliance or big hits?

Let me know,

Thanks!
    Soooooooo Sorry for the late reply! Things have happened, such is life.

I think the part was a Reign link posted in a previous pic by someone comparing them.

As for the lowering of the rear. It is unnoticeable. The only reason i did notice was because i had ran that chain guide a hair off the chain stay. And it just tapped it when the new link was installed. If you look at my pics i highlighted it in red of how far it moved. Only about 1-2mm maybe.

The only reason i even mentioned it was cos i wanted to document everything.

I think someone made a great point about my link and other Giants (Reign, Faith and Glory) The breaks are ALL happening in the same place. On the cut out section.

And even tho i have only 2 tabs on my Chain Guide. It all seems fine. Ive hit some stuff hard over the last month with my LS1+ Taco. And its all straight and sexy.

PS. My link is still going great
    And ive ridden further and harder since then.
    And ROFL at the ppl that get rid of the bike and buy something different.

Space Cowboy
    Quote Originally Posted by murrdogg11 View Post
    i had my bent upper link replaced.
    i purchased and installed 3 peice shock hardware.
    i found 12.9 hardened steel bolts.
    im still bending upper pivot bolts regulary...like every 2 rides.
    they are not bending as much as before, it is only slight...but i am bending them none the less...
    im out of ideas...anybody have any?
    would the rwc kits be much better than the 3 peice hardware?
    Ive noticed some ppl complaining about bent upper bolts.
    I had bent a couple as well when i first got my Reign.
    I worked out the problem i had (well some Giant dealer pointed it out to me).
    Since the Reign X has a high suspension leverage. You need to run a stiff shock most times. Well at least thats how i like it.
    I previously had like a 400lb spring on my Rc2. And the dumbass that I was i turned the preload collar ALOT to combat this leverage.
    This meant the spring still had to travel the same amount of distance for its compression BUT I had reduced the distance.
    So when the shock came close to bottoming out it was just locking out. And made a solid shock and putting alot of extra force on my upper bolt.

I bought myself a NukeProof 650lb Spring, set it up correctly and now dont have a problem with bent bolts.

I weigh about 82kg with gear btw.
    Bike is a med.

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    Hello from Ukraine) I have Reign 09 like this one

and I am happy with it, and my lower link is ok in XC/light AM area. I think this was an engineering mistake. Those of you who understand how the longeron works in wing or anywhere, than, you can compare the 2009 link and 2010 link, and actually, I see that the 2009 version is like normal longeron designed, the upper and the lower shelves are whole and not "broken" and in the 2010 version the lower shelve is "broken by design" and in exactly the same place the links are broken. But I am not sure about that.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails The OFFICIAL "I broke my Lower Link on my 2010 Reign X" thread.-0.jpg  

Last edited by jetigm; 02-17-2012 at 11:42 AM.

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    i just received the v3 gold 2011 linkage. it is at least 2x thicker than the old v1 and v2's. way stoked. it is (finally) built to last.

go out and look for the gold v3 2011 linkage, and this nightmare should be over.

May contain nuts
    Good news everybody! Does the v3 link only come in gold? Is it distinguishable from the v2 only by colour? Got any pictures?

mtbr member
    Dec 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by marshalolson View Post
    i just received the v3 gold 2011 linkage. it is at least 2x thicker than the old v1 and v2's. way stoked. it is (finally) built to last.

go out and look for the gold v3 2011 linkage, and this nightmare should be over.
    Any chance you could post some photos?

mtbr member
    After my 3rd broken link, my local shop just gave me a whole new frame. I had a 2010, now I have a 2011. The link looks the same, but I'll take it. What is this about a 3rd gen gold link? How about a picture? I'm headed north for a 8 day trip this summer and will purchase an additional link to add to my parts bin. Anyone tried to purchase a link or is everyone under warranty? If I blow it again, I will search out a used Trek Scratch coil and be done with it!
    Dont think about it, just go for it, whats the worst that could happen?

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    the 2011 link is a couple mm taller that the old one, and close to 2x as thick on the backside.

i can take a picture next time i pull the cranks/bb and then just pop the link off.

mtbr member
    I have the 2011 frame and it has an orange link. Is this the "gold link that you are refering to? I still have the broken black link from my 2010 frame. I'll measure the two and post the diffrence; they look the same however.
    Last edited by bcinlas4; 02-20-2012 at 02:12 PM.
    Dont think about it, just go for it, whats the worst that could happen?

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    sorry, i am in the middle of selling my house/buying a new house/moving, etc and don't have time to pull apart the linkage at the minute, but here are quick snaps..

comparing the newest v3 link to the old v2 link you would notice:

1. the height of the link above the ISCG tab is about 1-2mm taller (about 30% thicker here)
    2. the thickness behind the ISCG tabs (where the cuts-out in the link, where it keep breaking) is about 2x as thick.

hope this helps?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails The OFFICIAL "I broke my Lower Link on my 2010 Reign X" thread.-2012-02-21_14-07-59_352.jpg  

The OFFICIAL "I broke my Lower Link on my 2010 Reign X" thread.-2012-02-21_14-08-10_806.jpg  

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    and sure, the link is likely more orange than gold. sorry about that!

mtbr member
    Dec 2011
    Great pics!

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    ha, sorry, not really. but you can see the new orange link is def. taller @ the tab cutout than the old one.

mtbr member
    So if I take my bike to the LBS, do you think they will replace it, even if my V2 link has not broke yet? Otherwise how do I go upon purchasing one?

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    man, i think a non-broken link would be a tough sell to warranty.

the new link might be for sale though. you might call a giant podium (i.e. concept) store and discuss it with them...? unless your local shop does a lot of giant FS bikes.

i would also suggest full cycle in boulder (on pearl street), they really took good care of me there.

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    sorry, i am in the middle of selling my house/buying a new house/moving, etc and don't have time to pull apart the linkage at the minute, but here are quick snaps..

comparing the newest v3 link to the old v2 link you would notice:

1. the height of the link above the ISCG tab is about 1-2mm taller (about 30% thicker here)
    2. the thickness behind the ISCG tabs (where the cuts-out in the link, where it keep breaking) is about 2x as thick.

hope this helps?
    Can anyone confirm if Giant got that V3 link available for warranty replacement or aftermarket sale? I'm in Canada and my Giant dealer has not heard about it.

mtbr member
    Apr 2010

perhaps some of the link experts could speak up on this.....
    as i understood on all 2011 models there was a 2nd gen link....
    if there was a third gen on the 2011's i would have to assume we'd have heard of it by now....
    i'm hopefull you're right, as i have a 2011 with the orange link but it seems as though we need some more info.

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    man, i think a non-broken link would be a tough sell to warranty.

the new link might be for sale though. you might call a giant podium (i.e. concept) store and discuss it with them...? unless your local shop does a lot of giant FS bikes.

i would also suggest full cycle in boulder (on pearl street), they really took good care of me there.
    i should hope giant would install a new link free of charge with the amount of the g2's that are breaking.

mtbr member
    Feb 2011
    broke my 2nd link and it will be 3months of waiting.

mtbr member
    Feb 2011
    in vain lol

mtbr member
    Feb 2010
    I have the G2 and worried it will break again. The Gen3 gold link looks promising especially because I have the 2010 X2 with gold bars, pedals etc. so the gold link would look great. Lets hope I dont need it.

Slower But Faster
    3rd broken link today...sigh

May contain nuts
    Quote Originally Posted by BrentD View Post
    3rd broken link today...sigh
    Giant NZ made any noises about supplying v3 links?

Slower But Faster
    Quote Originally Posted by Haggis View Post
    Giant NZ made any noises about supplying v3 links?
    They're been cool with the warranty, will be ready for the weekend, no mention of what generation link will be fitted...heck, I'd PAY for a link that wasn't made of cheese.

I doubt it will be v3. You noticed that Giant NZ & AU aren't even offering the Reign X or Faith for 2012?

May contain nuts
    Yep, same in Aus & UK seems to be getting a limited range too.

Still worth putting the v3 question to them. (Haven't broken my first v2 yet despite plenty of climbing).

mtbr member
    Apr 2008

Bonking ... not feelin' well Reign X linkage snapped... again

Well, I had heard the reports and now it has come true. Ive got a X1 2010 which I took to Whistler in June 2011. The lower linkage snapped. Bearing in mind that Im from Wales, I was a bit worried about not having a bike to enjoy the bike park. Alas, my ass was saved by the guys in Bike Co. in the village. They had a version 2 linkage on the shelf so I had my bike back within hours. Love those guys. Funny thing is, I blew my RC2 shock a few days later so had to get a hire bike for the rest of the trip anyway. Still, Whistler on a Santa Cruz V10 carbon aint so bad
    Anyhow, now back in sunny Wales and I was just getting the bike into the car to head up to the local woods when I noticed a strange noise in the frame. Bugger - the linkage had gone. I was playing on the bottom of the Cwmcarn DH track a few days back so thats probably when it happened. OK, not exactly easy work for the bike, but Im no superman and the jumps for me arent that high. The rear triangle seems alot more rigid than with the last snapped linkage which is possibly why I didnt notice til today.
    So what news is there of the version 3 linkage? Im seriously thinking of changing bike as the Reign X doesnt seem up to my meager riding ability. If anyone has any info please let me know. Like the bike alot but not if it keeps breaking under me.
    Cheers,
    pojic

mtbr member

Reign X link

When I broke my Lower link I had it replaced with a 3rd Gen Link at my local Giant dealer, however, as I bought the frame on Ebay the warranty was invalid. with this in mind I asked them to file the top ISCG tab down which they agreed should solve the problem of the Link breakage [it appeared to be hitting the ISCG tab and breaking as a result] After 6 months of hard use with plenty of XC routes and a 10 day trip to the Alps the link is holding up well with no problems so far. Has anyone else filed down the top ISCG tab and had success?

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    not me, got giant uk to swap my reign x frame for a reign frame under warranty, no tabs, no material missing in said area of link, no problems

Slower But Faster
    Quote Originally Posted by pojic View Post
    my ass was saved by the guys in Bike Co. in the village. They had a version 2 linkage on the shelf so I had my bike back within hours. Love those guys.
    Bike Co sorted me out when I broke mine there in July, great service. They had a box of new linkages on the shelf out the back and had me riding again the same day.

mtbr member
    Dec 2011
    Did you end up getting a V3 link BrentD?

Also got a dumb question, I have 2011 X1 with a stock chain guide(raceface?), is it normal for the chain to not sit in place when on the lowest gear? ie it rubs on the outer ring of the chain guide

Space Cowboy
    Quote Originally Posted by dodd4721 View Post
    When I broke my Lower link I had it replaced with a 3rd Gen Link at my local Giant dealer, however, as I bought the frame on Ebay the warranty was invalid. with this in mind I asked them to file the top ISCG tab down which they agreed should solve the problem of the Link breakage [it appeared to be hitting the ISCG tab and breaking as a result] After 6 months of hard use with plenty of XC routes and a 10 day trip to the Alps the link is holding up well with no problems so far. Has anyone else filed down the top ISCG tab and had success?
    What year Reign X you have? The original link of my 2010 went no where near the tab.

Slower But Faster
    Quote Originally Posted by Buzz20 View Post
    Did you end up getting a V3 link BrentD?
    Looks like a V2, definitely not like the orange one posted earlier in the thread. Giant NZ is a pretty small operation compared to North America so are unlikely to have much in the way of spares. I'm still happy with the service getting my bike back on the trail again in a couple of days.

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    Well heres a pic of both the original linkage.....broken...... ! And a oic of the replacement likage which is clearly thicker than the original in this critical area.... Also broken!! What now? I dont do big drops but wheelie and bunny hop a lot.
    Would the linkage from a Reign fit as it wont have the cut out for the iscg tab,as this obviously the critical stress area. To romove the top iscg tab wouldnt be a problem as the stock race face chain guide doesnt use this tab anyway!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails The OFFICIAL "I broke my Lower Link on my 2010 Reign X" thread.-20120416_195422.jpg  

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    Hmmm.... Looking at the linkage closer i think i can seecwear marks where it could have been hitting the iscg tab..... Any others with success of filing this off.... Don,t have time to strip bike before next ride to see if corresponding marks on tab....

mtbr member
    links and will break down in the future, until the GIANT not fundamentally change the link and the frame

Space Cowboy

Idea!

Quote Originally Posted by dddisz View Post
    Hmmm.... Looking at the linkage closer i think i can seecwear marks where it could have been hitting the iscg tab..... Any others with success of filing this off.... Don,t have time to strip bike before next ride to see if corresponding marks on tab....
    I suggest before you go filling off the tab. Install a new link and actually check if it hits.
    The link should sit just above the tab at rest. When your rear wheel travels up.
    As does the link (away from the tab). There is no reason for the link to go anywhere near the tab.
    You may see some small wear on the link due the link rattling around once it broke, and the frame twisting.
    All the X links are crap. Get the Reign link (think we worked it out to be) one and be done with it.

mtbr member
    Jan 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by shoryuken View Post
    I thinking its not the Reign 2011 link, i checked it to my mates Reign 2011.
    Maybe 2012? Anyone have a pic?

Well as promised i took more pics today
    I forgot the weight it sry dudes, but its definitely heavier then my other one.

Installed fine. I had to cut off the top BB tab. Didnt matter, as i only use the other ones.
    I TRIPLE checked the clearance, all looks sweet. Even raised the front mech just incase of flex.
    Only thing i noticed which was weird was that the rear triangle now sits a couple of millimeters lower. I noticed this because my Chain tensioner roller was hitting the chain stay. So i just dropped it down a little. You can see in the below pics.

I just notice now that the tab i cut off is fairly scratched in the pic. Im thinking most of the damage would have been the link bouncing around when i kept on riding. But it looks a little dented on the top. This is interesting to note.

Depending on how this link preforms ill get some further info from my LBS about Exactly the type of link, unless anyone can correctly identify it. All i know is they said its a current Reign link and looks different because its an aftermarket part from Giant. So maybe its a link that doesnt come stock on any Reign?

And i just realised I had my GoPro on when I had broken the link.
    At about 44secs if you turn up your sound you can hear a light rattle, its alot louder in person.
    Sry for the crap GoPro rattle sound you hear. just got the camera and was testing mounts etc.

Anyway thats all the info i can supply on this topic atm....Off the do some jumps and drops then ill inspect the link and any marks etc that it may receive and report back tonight.
    Wish me Luck
    I have a 2009 Reign 1 (non-X) and snapped mine the other week climbing a steep climb attempting to get over a large rock. I am convinced after reading through a lot of this thread that this is a flex/lateral issue and this is where these links are breaking.

In an attempt to make my new link stronger what I did was strip off the paint in the grove and on inside of link, and then filled in the deep grove in the link with JB Weld . We will see if this does anything, I figured it should not hurt anything and JB Weld has a high breaking strength.

mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    I have had my X2 for over a year and i knew about this problem since i got the bike. I have taken the bike off ladder drops, climbed steep technical terrain, yada yada. Fast forward to this week and i broke my link. Its on the same side as everyone is talking about, near the top ISCG tab.

Anyways, the good news is that my LBS will warranty the part. The bad news is that it is backordered right now and it is a one month minimum wait for the part.

It really sucks this has been an issue with Giant for so long and they havent been able to forsee the demand for this part. I told my LBS i was concerned about this happening when i recieved the bike back in 2010 and they said it wasnt a concern, cuz it would be warrantied. Thats great and everything, but waiting a month without a bike sucks! I wish my LBS or Giant would have had this part ready to go when they fail because evidently it is happening to most people!

mtbr member
    Dec 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Redley78 View Post
    I have had my X2 for over a year and i knew about this problem since i got the bike. I have taken the bike off ladder drops, climbed steep technical terrain, yada yada. Fast forward to this week and i broke my link. Its on the same side as everyone is talking about, near the top ISCG tab.

Anyways, the good news is that my LBS will warranty the part. The bad news is that it is backordered right now and it is a one month minimum wait for the part.

It really sucks this has been an issue with Giant for so long and they havent been able to forsee the demand for this part. I told my LBS i was concerned about this happening when i recieved the bike back in 2010 and they said it wasnt a concern, cuz it would be warrantied. Thats great and everything, but waiting a month without a bike sucks! I wish my LBS or Giant would have had this part ready to go when they fail because evidently it is happening to most people!
    I had the same thing happen, however, I'm pleased to say that the second generation link they provided me on warranty has not snapped. I'm sure it may snap as I continue to push the bike hard up hill, but so far it hasn't budged. I also received the link in under a week... partially because I live in a neighboring state to their manufacturing warehouse, but their response was excellent. I also had to bug my LBS a bit to keep the ball moving. Definitely look at the option of attaining (and paying for) the normal Giant Reign lower link from Giant. Saw off the ISCG tab, and you will never have a problem snapping again because there is no cutout on that particular lower link.

mtbr member
    May 2010
    Reign x2
    Medium
    All mountain/urban/xc

I don't hit huge drops or jumps because i dont wanna get broke off but I would be lieing if I said that I didn't drop or jump.

I have broken the link twice now. This second time was supposedly a stronger link so that this wouldn't happen. To make matters worse, I discovered it was busted beginning of may. Took it into my bike shop and they told me it took three days to even get someone at giant after calling and leaving messages with no calls returned. Once they did talk to someone they were told that it would be mid June before it would be warrantied. When I was told that I asked them to call back and see if there was something else that could be done. Our riding season is short here (n Idaho) and I ride like 3-4 times a week and it's my only bike. Giants reply was that I could purchase a linkage kit for $100 or wait until at least mid June to have it fixed.

What is wrong with giant? That sounds so messed up to me and I'm not the only one having these issues after seeing 11 pages here. I am at the point of selling my frame and moving on from giant completely if this is the way they are going to back their product.

May contain nuts
    Quote Originally Posted by twistedindustries View Post
    Once they did talk to someone they were told that it would be mid June before it would be warrantied
    Mid-June is only 4 days away, if that helps..

Space Cowboy
    Im back with another update of my linkage:

Fukentastic!

Casing this 8m+ double for 2 hours... My non Reign X Link is still lavish.
    (A bytch jump, need to keep speed on 2 jumps leading into it, on a bmx track to make it even harder for a non bmx/hardtail)
    This is a good pic of the bike. Most of the time is was maxing out front and rear and the battle-cries of my rear rim was echoed all through the valleys.
    That morning a friend snapped his bars attempting it. The pic does not give the size/ steepness of the doubles landing justice. Ive seen someone hit it and bounce off their bike and over the bars, all while their bike didnt move position from the ground.

Conclusion after reading every post since mine and the performance of my link.... Dont get the stock Reign X link.

The OFFICIAL "I broke my Lower Link on my 2010 Reign X" thread.-563872_10150854756148495_236679083_n.jpg

mtbr member
    May 2010
    Haggis: yeah, your right. Those 45 days or so without a bike flew by (not). Lets see when they actually fix it. Could be 4 days could be 14.

Shoryuken: how long have you been running the upgraded link? I got an upgraded link from giant in like feb 2011 and mine broke after about a year or so.

Does anyone know if they will be releasing a version 3?

Space Cowboy
    Shoryuken: how long have you been running the upgraded link? I got an upgraded link from giant in like feb 2011 and mine broke after about a year or so.
    Just over six months ago. I have made many posts in this thread about it.
    Its not an (upgraded) reign X link....'

mtbr member
    May 2010
    Just over six months ago. I have made many posts in this thread about it.
    Its not an (upgraded) reign X link....'

Gotcha. Yeah I spent a year on the second one before it broke, so good luck to you.

I talked to my bike shop today and they are getting me the current link from giant so I can ride (I wish this would have happened weeks ago). Giant also said that in end of June/early july they will release the upgraded link to 'correct' the issue. So everyone make sure you go break your links mid July and get the fix.

My shop also mentioned something about it breaking again before my warranty is up. I thought this was covered under lifetime. Does anyone know what the warranty is on this part. The bike shop said I had "maybe a year left".

Space Cowboy
    Gotcha. Yeah I spent a year on the second one before it broke, so good luck to you. .
    You really did not read anything i have written in any of my 10 or so posts in this thread (including the above) have you?

mtbr member
    May 2011

Reign Link on Reign X

Well, first of all. I have a 2010 Reign X that has evolved as I swaped new & used parts over from a heavily upgraded 2006 Reign to the Almost new Reign X frame a got in March last year. I snapped my first link on my second ride (yes going gently up hill as a rode over a tree root). The replacement link was off a 2011 RX and that lasted just over a year... then bang, second link snapped.
    Secondly & most importantly THANK YOU 'Shoryuken' !!! After seeing your posts & looking at the pictures I rang up a buddy of mine who has a 2010 Reing (not X) & he kindly let me disassemble his bike & (even before cutting the tab off) fitted his lower link on to my bike (with the air shock deflated so I could check that it would fit first) then with a big grin on my face cut & filed off the top iscg tab, then bolted it on again & did a thorough check of clearances etc. it was all good.
    NextlyI went down to my local giant selling bike shop & tried to order a Reign (not X) 2009-2010 lower link. Long story short I eventually (luckily, as they only had one) got one (costing $210 NZ - ouch!).
    It works perfectly, so thanks again 'Shoryuken'. I can't believe that more of you haven't done it too.
    So to recap... YES if you cut off the top iscg tab, a 2009-2010 Giant Reign (not X) lower link will fit perfectly.
    There was one hiccup for me & I wonder if thats why I got hold of this link (they initially told me I couldn't order one). When I first fitted my friends link, the link had a recess on the non-driveside to miss the front deraileur band bolt & the lever that the cable is bolted to... the link I bought didn't have this. I paniced at first, considered 1x 10 or hammershmit thingy, then tried a high band top swing deraileur I happened to have (luckily it worked). It doesn't fit quite right (it's mounted on the bend slightly) & the chain drags across it in some gears. But hey, NO MORE snapped links for me.
    Here's some pic's...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails The OFFICIAL "I broke my Lower Link on my 2010 Reign X" thread.-reign-link-1.jpg  

The OFFICIAL "I broke my Lower Link on my 2010 Reign X" thread.-reign-link-2.jpg  

The OFFICIAL "I broke my Lower Link on my 2010 Reign X" thread.-reign-link-3.jpg  

The OFFICIAL "I broke my Lower Link on my 2010 Reign X" thread.-reign-link-4.jpg  

The OFFICIAL "I broke my Lower Link on my 2010 Reign X" thread.-invo.jpg  

Space Cowboy
    Quote Originally Posted by NickNZ View Post
    Well, first of all. I have a 2010 Reign X that has evolved as I swaped new & used parts over from a heavily upgraded 2006 Reign to the Almost new Reign X frame a got in March last year. I snapped my first link on my second ride (yes going gently up hill as a rode over a tree root). The replacement link was off a 2011 RX and that lasted just over a year... then bang, second link snapped.
    Secondly & most importantly THANK YOU 'Shoryuken' !!! After seeing your posts & looking at the pictures I rang up a buddy of mine who has a 2010 Reing (not X) & he kindly let me disassemble his bike & (even before cutting the tab off) fitted his lower link on to my bike (with the air shock deflated so I could check that it would fit first) then with a big grin on my face cut & filed off the top iscg tab, then bolted it on again & did a thorough check of clearances etc. it was all good.
    NextlyI went down to my local giant selling bike shop & tried to order a Reign (not X) 2009-2010 lower link. Long story short I eventually (luckily, as they only had one) got one (costing $210 NZ - ouch!).
    It works perfectly, so thanks again 'Shoryuken'. I can't believe that more of you haven't done it too.
    So to recap... YES if you cut off the top iscg tab, a 2009-2010 Giant Reign (not X) lower link will fit perfectly.
    There was one hiccup for me & I wonder if thats why I got hold of this link (they initially told me I couldn't order one). When I first fitted my friends link, the link had a recess on the non-driveside to miss the front deraileur band bolt & the lever that the cable is bolted to... the link I bought didn't have this. I paniced at first, considered 1x 10 or hammershmit thingy, then tried a high band top swing deraileur I happened to have (luckily it worked). It doesn't fit quite right (it's mounted on the bend slightly) & the chain drags across it in some gears. But hey, NO MORE snapped links for me.
    Here's some pic's...
    Fantastic news dude!
    The Reign link does seem bigger, stronger and better then Reign X.
    Hope all works out.
    Mine is still kicking ass

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Fantastic news dude!
    The Reign link does seem bigger, stronger and better then Reign X.
    Hope all works out.
    Mine is still kicking ass
    Yip, I agree, it definitly feels beefier, I actually weighed them & to my suprise it was only 7 grams (or something like that) heavier than the Reign X one. It's working out great so far, I've been riding the 'new' link for about a month with no issues at all. Mostly hard trail riding with a few DH runs. Lots (if not big) of jumps & drops, but more importantly, lots of climbing (seems to be when they snap). I live in Nelson New Zealand, there is sooo much great riding here, all year round, it's winter here & that snow was at the top of a nice trail, we only get snow at the top of high trails maybe a few times a year,it's actually a novelty for me to ride in it, my point is my bike gets thrashed year round. I'm totally spoiled. (& thats not counting my hot wife that rides too!).
    Happy trails bro!

Space Cowboy
    Yip, I agree, it definitly feels beefier, I actually weighed them & to my suprise it was only 7 grams (or something like that) heavier than the Reign X one. It's working out great so far, I've been riding the 'new' link for about a month with no issues at all. Mostly hard trail riding with a few DH runs. Lots (if not big) of jumps & drops, but more importantly, lots of climbing (seems to be when they snap). I live in Nelson New Zealand, there is sooo much great riding here, all year round, it's winter here & that snow was at the top of a nice trail, we only get snow at the top of high trails maybe a few times a year,it's actually a novelty for me to ride in it, my point is my bike gets thrashed year round. I'm totally spoiled. (& thats not counting my hot wife that rides too!).
    Happy trails bro!
    NZ sounds awesome i really want to take a few weeks and do all the tracks from North to South. Its only a few hours from Sydney.

Slower But Faster
    Happy trails bro!
    Makes wonder why Giant don't do a recall and apply this simple fix; the price they charged you for the link is ridiculous.

You sure are living the dream Nick. Primo Nelson tracks on your doorstep, great climate and a hot missus who rides.

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Makes wonder why Giant don't do a recall and apply this simple fix; the price they charged you for the link is ridiculous.

You sure are living the dream Nick. Primo Nelson tracks on your doorstep, great climate and a hot missus who rides.
    Cheers Brent, Nelson is just getting better & better with all the trails they keep building. And I totally agree about the recall, they have recalled other bikes too, like the first Anthem 29er's. I strongly suspect that there will be no Reign X's in their line up for 2013, guess we'll find out soon...

Slower But Faster
    Here's some pic's...
    Do you reckon a bit of gentle filing of the new link on the non-drive side would give you the clearance to run the standard SLX short cage front derailleur? (I presume of course you are running standard which you may well not be due to the custom build).

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Do you reckon a bit of gentle filing of the new link on the non-drive side would give you the clearance to run the standard SLX short cage front derailleur? (I presume of course you are running standard which you may well not be due to the custom build).
    I did consider that but it was too much material to take away. The deraileur (that wouldn't work) was alow band XT off my original '06 Giant Reign. I considered E-type ones too (BB mounted), but I don't think it'd clear the link. If anyone out there has tried running an E-type on your RX I'd love to know if it works or not.
    I wish I'd taken photo's of my mates reign link on it, coz that one DID have a recess in the right place & it worked, but the link Ibought didn't have the recess. If anyone is keen to see it I could take some photo's of my mates Reign link (although not mounted on my bike).

mtbr member
    Jul 2012

done and done

2010 Reign X2

Snapped the infamous link

Probably while climbing, or while taking moderate descends.

Happened two days before I was going to take the bike to whistler, haha

I'm not exactly sure when. I was getting some creaks out of my seat rails at the time so probably mistook it for one of the seat rail noises. Its definitely snapped though, clean in half on the drivetrain side. Bike is as useless as a bump on a log. Maybe even more useless, considering I don't know many bumps on the log that cost this much

What now?

Oh, and it was a used frame

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    2008 Trance X. Broke link July 1. Drive side (surprise, surprise). Trance X not Reign X.

TR

Slower But Faster
    Quote Originally Posted by phatone17 View Post
    2010 Reign X2

Snapped the infamous link

Probably while climbing, or while taking moderate descends.

Happened two days before I was going to take the bike to whistler, haha

What now?
    Pop in to Bike Co in Whistler and they should be able to hook you right up. They have Reign SX as hire bikes so will most likely be carrying spares. Got me going the same day when mine broke there last year as they had a box of spare links out the back.

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    Blast. I just got back stateside and didn't check back online while I was in Whistler.

(plus, my wife split open her knee, and my local shop informed me that these links are on backorder)

FML

Thanks for the tip tho, I emailed the shop. maybe they'll ship one to me if I give them my firstborn.

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    Pop in to Bike Co in Whistler and they should be able to hook you right up. They have Reign SX as hire bikes so will most likely be carrying spares. Got me going the same day when mine broke there last year as they had a box of spare links out the back.
    FYI They don't have any, I emailed them. I'm considering the Reign (non-X) link mod above, maybe that isn't on backorder.

mtbr member
    Dec 2011
    FYI They don't have any, I emailed them. I'm considering the Reign (non-X) link mod above, maybe that isn't on backorder.
    Backorder? Well if mine ever breaks again, I'm doing with the standard Reign link and sawing off that stupid ISCG tab!

It's so silly that they just don't do a recall, would've looked better from a public relations perspective.

mtbr member
    Dec 2010

Yep same problem for me

My linkage has snapped twice on my 2010 Giant Reign 1. Same spot as all the pics. And it takes forever to get replacement brackets from Giant. As much as I like my Reign, my next bike won't be another Giant. I think they are overwhelmed with this problem to date.

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by rec32 View Post
    My linkage has snapped twice on my 2010 Giant Reign 1. Same spot as all the pics. And it takes forever to get replacement brackets from Giant. As much as I like my Reign, my next bike won't be another Giant. I think they are overwhelmed with this problem to date.

Why don't we get a list of people who are willing to file a BBB (better business bureau) complaint unless Giant does a recall on this? I'm sure the list could get pretty long, then threatening Giant with the list may actually get them to do the recall. Any takers? I'm good at logistics.

-Mike

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    Why don't we get a list of people who are willing to file a BBB (better business bureau) complaint unless Giant does a recall on this? I'm sure the list could get pretty long, then threatening Giant with the list may actually get them to do the recall. Any takers? I'm good at logistics.

-Mike
    Gonna start sending PMs. I would think that ya'll would be willing to jump on board this.

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    2010 Giant Reign X1 - broke the lower link, same as all the others, on the drive side.

Medium Frame size
    Trail/All Mountain ride style

Been riding the bike since January 2011, first time this has broken. Anyone in Ontario had this issue? And if so which shop did you order the link from?

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    So, after calling a bunch of shops in the GTA (Toronto), they've all asked me to bring the bike in, because they basically don't believe that I can trouble-shoot this issue myself or accurately identify the make/model of my bike - fair enough, for every educated bike guy, there's probably 20 people that have no idea what they need.

So I called Giant directly, and asked a guy named Andrew in their sales department if he could give me the part number of the link and/or the link replacement kit so I can find out if any shops have stock on the item, or are able to get it as quickly as possible.

Andrew told me that;(1) they don't give out their part numbers, even to their distributors (really? how the fack do THEY order parts, then?), and (2) the number is 18 digits long.

LMAO... worst.customer.service.ever.

mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    esta es la referencia.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails The OFFICIAL "I broke my Lower Link on my 2010 Reign X" thread.-funda.jpg  

The OFFICIAL "I broke my Lower Link on my 2010 Reign X" thread.-13072010-005-.jpg  

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Just read a lot of this thread and it got me concerned. I recently purchased a 2012 reign X1 and was wondering if they have the same problem with the lower link or if something has changed on the 2012 model?

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    Just by looking at your pics, the lower u-link you installed seems to be different than the one shoryuken installed...? Yours has a cut-out for -what seems like- the derailleur, while shoruken's has no cut-outs at all.

I'm going to try and order both the v3 Reign X lower u-link (what year should I state?), as well as a 2009 Reign lower u-link. I'm so pissed that these bike companies won't publish the part numbers: The world of cars and motorcycles does this, so if you need ANY part you can just look the thing up online and buy the darn thing. This haphazard way to order parts, and not knowing which year/part/bike/version you've installed is ludicrous.

In anycase, I'm pretty sure I can replace this part at least 5 times before it becomes practical to buy another bike.

mtbr member
    May 2011
    [QUOTE=kri$han;9528166]Just by looking at your pics, the lower u-link you installed seems to be different than the one shoryuken installed...? Yours has a cut-out for -what seems like- the derailleur, while shoruken's has no cut-outs at all.

Yes it is different, there must be some slight variations for the Reign (non x) ones too. When I got the link I noticed straight away when I put it on the bike that it didn't have the recess on the non-drive side to miss the low band mounting front deraileur, & yes, that it had a recess on the outside on the driveside to miss the deraileur (as you've pointed out). But it definitely fits, no question, with no forcing or any change to geometry (that I can tell), & it's exactly what I ordered (a 2009-2010 Reign lower link).
    I'll copy the pic that someone else has already posted here of a 2009-2010 Reign (he was right at guessing what bike it was from).
    This was exactly like the bike I first 'borrowed' the link off to see if it fitted (except the frame is white as it's a Reign 0) ...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails The OFFICIAL "I broke my Lower Link on my 2010 Reign X" thread.-reign.jpg  

Www.rvmba.org
    Feb 2009
    I can't believe giant hasn't fixed this issue. Or at minimum provide links to all giant dealers. They are the largest manufacturer on the planet. You think they could mass produce these links so that people are not waiting and paying for these things. Luckily I have had zero issues with my link on my 2010 RX. It's weird how some break multiple links and others have no issue. I believe it's related to the riders weight. It's seems that the bigger guys are breaking them. I weigh 155 and climb and descend hard. I run single 34 ring too. I put tons of pressure on the bottom bracket pushing that big gear uphill. I carry a spare link with me when on remote or big rides. Hopefully I never encounter this problem. But it seems a matter of when not if.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    I totally agree. One reason I have been buying Giants (NRS, Trance, Trance X) has been my belief that Giants are actually engineered and built to standards. The Reign X issue has shaken my belief in Giant.

Somewhat related, the link on my 2008 Trance X recently broke after many years of pounding. LBS ordered it and I was back on the trail in a week.

Next bike may not be Giant. even though I really like my LBS (Giant exclusive dealer).

mtbr member
    Aug 2012

Wtf!!!!!!!

GIANT REPS, I hope your reading the posts of your customers and contact them all!!!!!!
    I am not mad that the linkage broke. Im not mad that it happened 400m up a very exposed tail and sent me into some rocks when I lost balance due to my foot catching the chain stay. Im not mad that it ruined my mountain bike vacation that I could not cancel or refund.
    I am extremely mad due to the following reason. I purchased the 2010 Giant reign XO in 2012 from a dealer whom got it straight from a GIANT warehouse in 2012. GIANT neglected to inform me, the purchaser, of the known defect that they had known. I had to find this out on my own through google after the fact. Why would my safety be jeopardized after GIANT has known of the defect for two years?
    I have supported your bikes for a total of six times in the last 8 years personally. I am personally responsible for at least ten other sales minimum that I can account for. Not to mention the people I bragged to on the trail and they went out and bought your product.
    Where ever I ride, or get to ride next, I will now have only negative things to say about GIANT and how concerned they are about their clients. Nothing to do with customer service, warranty work, or performance of product. Just that your safety is not a concern.
    Cant wait for my new SANTA CRUZ.

Space Cowboy

Bonking ... not feelin' well

Quote Originally Posted by mynextbikeisaSC View Post
    GIANT REPS, I hope your reading the posts of your customers and contact them all!!!!!!
    I am not mad that the linkage broke. Im not mad that it happened 400m up a very exposed tail and sent me into some rocks when I lost balance due to my foot catching the chain stay. Im not mad that it ruined my mountain bike vacation that I could not cancel or refund.
    I am extremely mad due to the following reason. I purchased the 2010 Giant reign XO in 2012 from a dealer whom got it straight from a GIANT warehouse in 2012. GIANT neglected to inform me, the purchaser, of the known defect that they had known. I had to find this out on my own through google after the fact. Why would my safety be jeopardized after GIANT has known of the defect for two years?
    I have supported your bikes for a total of six times in the last 8 years personally. I am personally responsible for at least ten other sales minimum that I can account for. Not to mention the people I bragged to on the trail and they went out and bought your product.
    Where ever I ride, or get to ride next, I will now have only negative things to say about GIANT and how concerned they are about their clients. Nothing to do with customer service, warranty work, or performance of product. Just that your safety is not a concern.
    Cant wait for my new SANTA CRUZ.
    Although i have success with my new link (so far....). This thread and the customer service from Giant is very disheartening.
    As much as i love my Reign X1 (and my Glorys) i wont be buying a Giant bike again.
    This was not a small defect with one frame, one year, but many frames over a few years.
    Also iGiants new shitty Giant only size crap pisses me off on the current range.

And to all the guys that have the issue and have not had it resolved, i feel for you.

Slower But Faster
    Quote Originally Posted by sofarider1 View Post
    I believe it's related to the riders weight. It's seems that the bigger guys are breaking them. I weigh 155 and climb and descend hard.
    Nope! I weigh the same and have broken three so far in a bit over two years.

mtbr member
    So is there any new news on weather 2013 reign x lineup has an improved lower link? Judging from the pic on their main site, It looks like it's going to have the same problem. I was set on getting the reign x0 as my next bike, and even though with the lifetime warranty. This issue doesn't really aspire confidence if one does decide to buy and ride. It's too bad, because everyone that I have talked to that owns the RX. Really do love their ride.

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    Improved or not, Giant cant be trusted anymore. They cant even respond and say they have a problem and they are working on it. All that is heard is rumours on this thread. Second hand un-official information. I want a real explanation from GIANT before I ever spend money on their crap again.
    The latest I have heard is that they are not giving out the new and improved links anymore. They dont have any. I broke my gen 2 and I got a gen 1 as a replacement. WTF GIANT.

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by sofarider1 View Post
    I can't believe giant hasn't fixed this issue. Or at minimum provide links to all giant dealers. They are the largest manufacturer on the planet. You think they could mass produce these links so that people are not waiting and paying for these things. Luckily I have had zero issues with my link on my 2010 RX. It's weird how some break multiple links and others have no issue. I believe it's related to the riders weight. It's seems that the bigger guys are breaking them. I weigh 155 and climb and descend hard. I run single 34 ring too. I put tons of pressure on the bottom bracket pushing that big gear uphill. I carry a spare link with me when on remote or big rides. Hopefully I never encounter this problem. But it seems a matter of when not if.
    I agreed with you on this until I broke mine.

I'm only 150lb, and I even got a smaller spring for my shock (installed a 400lb, vs. the stock 500lb spring). I ride aggressive XC (like XC, but skinnies, drops and any obstacle, jump or drop I can find) and I also do some light downhill riding with it.

This is a design flaw, and it cannot be fixed without a major redesign. +1 on Giant at least recognizing the issue, and stocking their dealers.

I'm so glad I didn't buy this thing new.

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    Some pic updates (for those to use as a reference)

2010 Giant Reign X1 (and perhaps other Reign X's) need this link:

This is a pic of the 2009 Giant Reign (non X) 1. It's Gold. I think the Reign 0 is black.

Drive-side comparison:

Workin' on it:

Don't forget that you'll need a crank-puller (Park Tool CCP-44), and if you have a chain guide, a bottom bracket tool. (Park BBT-19). A 5 & 6mm allens, a torque wrench, mallet, bearing grease, and perhaps some other common tools.

My buddy who rides an '09 Reign 1 broke his on BOTH sides (cuz he's a heavy-strong black guy LOL) and he asked me to fix his bike too, so I ordered another '09 Reign (non-X) link today.

His bike required a bit more work than mine:

BIG BIG BIG thanks to all those in this thread fo helping me get through this in ~2.5 weeks... davecheng, shoryuken, NickNZ, valetropic: respect.

jb_
    mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    Just noticed a crack in my 2011 link today. I broke my 2010 link in about 4 months and the 2011 has lasted me about 18 months.

I'm meant to be taking the bike overseas with me in 28 days.The Reign X hasn't been imported into NZ since 2011 so I wouldn't be surprised if parts were scarce. This is really crappy timing.

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    broke mine today as well. seemed like it broke on the flats today, but now that I think about it, probably from a decent 5 foot drop to tranny last ride... kinda wonder if all these people saying it broke on the flats are just finding out when they're pedaling.
    anyway, it's a 2010 reign x size large.
    i'm 180lbs
    not a total wuss, but not insanely rowdy. don't feel like anything I did warranted a frame issue.
    will be contacting giant tomorrow and hope they will sort me out.

mtbr member
    Just wondering and wanted to ask those who have already been in contact with Giant or a dealer considering this problem. Are the links considered part of the frame, therefore have a lifetime warranty? Or are they considered a component with limited warranty? I ask because on the website, the last time I looked. They are not real clear on weather the link is part of the frame or not. So I can see a lot of confusion there. Especially if one does take legal matters for not only Giant not acknowledging a manufacture/design problem, But I can see someone turning this around and saying its a safety concern.

jb_
    mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by laztpn0i View Post
    Just wondering and wanted to ask those who have already been in contact with Giant or a dealer considering this problem. Are the links considered part of the frame, therefore have a lifetime warranty? Or are they considered a component with limited warranty? I ask because on the website, the last time I looked. They are not real clear on weather the link is part of the frame or not. So I can see a lot of confusion there. Especially if one does take legal matters for not only Giant not acknowledging a manufacture/design problem, But I can see someone turning this around and saying its a safety concern.
    My warranty book says something to the effect of frame and rigid fork have lifetime warranty, components one year.

If Giant NZ try to claim the linkage isn't part of the frame I'll be taking them to court. I would advise anyone else who lives in a country with good consumer protection laws to do the same.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by jb_ View Post
    My warranty book says something to the effect of frame and rigid fork have lifetime warranty, components one year.

If Giant NZ try to claim the linkage isn't part of the frame I'll be taking them to court. I would advise anyone else who lives in a country with good consumer protection laws to do the same.
    That's exactly what I see in the warranty. And that's what makes it so confusing. Giant could easily say the link is not part of the frame, but how could it not be part of the frame since the links are what makes the frame work properly. I don't know how other manufacturers treat this matter. But in my opinion frames that have rear suspension links that need to be connected to the rear triangle to work properly. Should be considered part of the frame.

Also I'm kind of surprised that there hasn't been some kind of suit yet regarding this issue. And if there ever is...Then it would be a shame because nowadays it seems like that's what one would have to do to get one to listen.

jb_
    mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by laztpn0i View Post
    That's exactly what I see in the warranty. And that's what makes it so confusing. Giant could easily say the link is not part of the frame, but how could it not be part of the frame since the links are what makes the frame work properly. I don't know how other manufacturers treat this matter. But in my opinion frames that have rear suspension links that need to be connected to the rear triangle to work properly. Should be considered part of the frame.

Also I'm kind of surprised that there hasn't been some kind of suit yet regarding this issue. And if there ever is...Then it would be a shame because nowadays it seems like that's what one would have to do to get one to listen.
    They're made by Giant, you can only get them from Giant, they are specific to the frame, they come with the frameset, they are made of the same material as the frame, they join the two sub structures of the frame and they are 100% required to be present for the frame to work. And, most importantly, they are not a wear item/consumable like bearings or a component.

I think any reasonable person would consider them part of the frame so you would be able to get them under warranty, it might just require a few hard words and threats if Giant aren't cooperating.

Slower But Faster
    Quote Originally Posted by jb_ View Post
    Just noticed a crack in my 2011 link today. I broke my 2010 link in about 4 months and the 2011 has lasted me about 18 months.

I'm meant to be taking the bike overseas with me in 28 days.The Reign X hasn't been imported into NZ since 2011 so I wouldn't be surprised if parts were scarce. This is really crappy timing.
    I haven't had any problem getting mine warrantied here in NZ for the two out of three links I broke in NZ. Back on the bike in a couple of days both times. Giant's customer service has been great. Likewise when I was at Whistler last year, I was back on the bike the same day.

Notwithstanding that, it would be great if it didn't break in the first place or their was a permanent solution to a problem that has been around for at least two years now. I haven't met a Reign X owner in NZ who hasn't broken a link yet.

jb_
    mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    The guy at the bike shop claims he hasn't heard of them breaking, but that's got to be a load of crap. Anyone selling the Reign X would've had some back. I don't know of anyone with a Reign X who hasn't broken their link either.

There is a permanent solution which I will be purchasing soon, it's called a Nomad and it's made of carbon fibre

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    as much as I'm loathe to do so, I'm tempted to purchase an extra link just in case I get caught out somewhere and need it. at least I can then replace it on my own schedule rather than giants, even if they have been decent about it. seems like they should have initiated a recall, or at a bare minimum replaced the part with a burlier link by now. maybe they're trying to work through the old stock before releasing the beefed up replacement... so hurry up everybody - keep breaking those links!

jb_
    mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    Hi all,

I got my new link today, and it's white! I'm not sure if it's 2012 or 2013, one thing is for sure though, it's a heck of a lot thicker than the 2011 link I just broke. It's substantially thicker where the ISCG goes (maybe 30 - 40%) and looks to be either taller or less material machined away for the ISCG in a vertical direction. I almost suspect this one might survive. I thought I had an excuse to by a Nomad Carbon, damn It still appears to be cast though, rather than machined from a billet, so I'm trying not to get my hopes up.

Giant NZ weren't too bad, turn around time through a branch of the shop I purchased the bike from was 7 days exactly.

Here's some photos of the new link. Unfortunately they wouldn't let me keep the old link so I can't photograph them side by side.

Edit: it was too good to be true. The link doesn't fit.

This must be a 2013 link, it just crashes straight into my ISCG tab. It will not work without filing the frame down.

Given that the 2012 links break too and they're my only other option, I'm going to push for a refund, failing that, I'll consider taking the bike shop to the disputes tribunal (a mediated court type thing).

I should also point that that Giant NZ sent a 2013 which they should know doesn't fit, even though they had a copy of my proof of purchase which states 2010 Reign X. So they're idiots.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails The OFFICIAL "I broke my Lower Link on my 2010 Reign X" thread.-img_4844.jpg  

The OFFICIAL "I broke my Lower Link on my 2010 Reign X" thread.-img_4847.jpg  

The OFFICIAL "I broke my Lower Link on my 2010 Reign X" thread.-img_4849.jpg  

Last edited by jb_; 09-02-2012 at 11:16 PM.

May contain nuts
    Yep, Krispy already mentioned the 3rd iteration required filing of the top tab:

Quote Originally Posted by krispy@go-ride.com View Post
    What you need to do is try to get a 2011/2012 link. You will have to file the upper tab to be narrower since the 3rd generation link is thicker. My 2011 RX came with one, and i had to make a custom, shortened upper ISCG bolt so that it didn't go through the tab and hit the link. I'm running a short spindle and therefore no spacers behind my guide so the bolt had to be extra short.
    I'd take the bike in and get the shop to do it with Giant's approval so the warranty remains intact.
    Thanks for the photos; they are the first I've seen which show how they've actually beefed the link up...

jb_
    mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by Haggis View Post
    Yep, Krispy already mentioned the 3rd iteration required filing of the top tab:

I'd take the bike in and get the shop to do it with Giant's approval so the warranty remains intact.
    Thanks for the photos; they are the first I've seen which show how they've actually beefed the link up...
    The problem with filing the ISCG tab is there goes the lifetime frame warranty. If the link ever breaks again it would be a whole lot harder to get it replaced under warranty.

There law is on my side in this case, I will probably be able to get a refund on the frame, and I want a carbon Nomad so I don't need to worry any more, so that's what I'll do.

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 31