Page 4 of 13 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast
    mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    is very important to know if it's new that you have been broken to you, because they say that the only Giant who has broken into the world is mine.

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    Just noticed the 2010 link I replaced has a crack in it. That's 3 broken links for me in less than one year. Hoping the new design holds. I'm the only one in my riding group who carries a spare link in their backpack...

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by valetropic
    of your photo is not the original,

this if it is original.

a greeting.
    My link broken is the original mounted on frame by Giant.

My frame is the first frame arrived in Italy in december '09

mtbr member
    One of the guys I ride with that ownes 2010 Reign X talked to an attorney yesterday about the 2010 Giant Reign X. He is Meeting with him again in a week. Quote from this rider "Who wants to be part of a Class Action Law Suit. Let me know I'm Fed up with Giant and there BS."
    * Send an email back to me if you want more info, I will forward your email. Maybe this will get Giant to fix the problem?
    ~Ron - kiwanoron@hotmail.com

mtbr member
    Mar 2005
    Don't get me wrong, I think Giant is blowing it big time, but IMHO tell that person to sell his bike and move on with his life. That's a perfect example of what's wrong with society. We could have way better trails and products if we were willing to risk a few bad ones to help us learn what's good. What's his loss, a few grand? The Lawyer will take more then that and I'm sure he had some fun rides on the bike so it's not like he got nothing for his money. Lawyers suck! Just put your money elsewhere. Many bike companies have made mistakes like this over the years and most learn and go on to make great products unless they get sued and decide the business doesn't make sense.

mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    hello kiwanoron, do not fully understand the translation, but I agree with you, I too am angry with GIANT.

mtbr member
    I would sell my 2010 Reign X TODAY! I just don’t want to sell someone a LEMON, since the new redesigned links are breaking I would feel bad selling a bike that is going to break on next owner. I would hate for someone else to end up with the same problem I have...We all spend hard earned money on our bikes and Giant is not doing anything to make things better! I would gladly trade my Reign X in on a Reign. I just want a bike that I can ride around the trail and not worry about when it is going to break again and how far I am going to have to walk back to the car!!!

mtbr member
    Giant listen:
    -recall our's frames
    -cuts the upper wing
    -manufactures and assembles a free download link like this that I made with Photoshop

May contain nuts
    Begs the question: would a regular Reign link fit?

free
    Jun 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Haggis
    I was thinking the same, and maybe it is the "fix it yourself" solution...

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Haggis
    No it's only my "dream of a solution to the problem" ....make with photoshop

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Fabione-
    No it's only my "dream of a solution to the problem" ....make with photoshop
    you are right! This is the best solution!!!!

Adrnln Jnke
    Quote Originally Posted by LyNx
    Did the previous Reigns have ISG tabs? I have to wonder, because that's the only area I see these links breaking at - where the material is removed to accommodate the ISG tab.
    YES the older frames DO have the ISCG tabs. So that means that it has nothing to do with the tabs. This link is different from the older frames so there is no relevance.
    Ride it like you Stole it

mtbr member
    Antem recall http://velonews.competitor.com/2010/...m-29ers_149381

but why don' t recall Reign X too ?

Giant do it

mtbr member
    Link above not working for me, but here's a working link.

http://www.cpsc.gov/cpscpub/prerel/prhtml11/11038.html

"Giant Recalls Anthem X 29er Bicycles Due to Fall Hazard

WASHINGTON, D.C. - The U.S. Consumer Product Safety Commission, in cooperation with the firm named below, today announced a voluntary recall of the following consumer product. Consumers should stop using recalled products immediately unless otherwise instructed. It is illegal to resell or attempt to resell a recalled consumer product.

Name of Product: 2011 Model Year Anthem Giant Bicycles

Units: About 370

Importer: Giant Bicycle Inc., of Newbury Park, Calif.

Manufacturer: Giant Manufacturing Co. Ltd., of Taiwan

Hazard: The frame can crack at the junction of the seat post and top tube, posing a fall hazard to riders.

Incidents/Injuries: None reported.

Description: This recall involves 2011 model year Giant Anthem X 29er 1, 2 and 3 model bicycles. The bicycles were sold in small, medium and large. “Giant” and the model name are printed on the bicycle.

Sold by: Authorized Giant Bicycle dealers nationwide during August 2010 for between $2,200 and $3,500.

Manufactured in: Taiwan

Remedy: Consumers should immediately stop riding the recalled bicycles and contact any authorized Giant Bicycle dealer for a free inspection and repair.

Consumer Contact: For additional information, contact Giant Bicycle toll-free at (866) 458-2555 between 9 a.m. and 4 p.m. PT Monday through Friday or visit the firm’s website at www.giant-bicycles.com"

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    2010 Reign x1. Same thing just happened to my bike as in the video illustrating the broken link on youtube. Headed to the dealer tomorrow, hopefully all goes well for my bike as it is less than 6 weeks old.

Slower But Faster
    Quote Originally Posted by mboland
    2010 Reign x1. Same thing just happened to my bike as in the video illustrating the broken link on youtube. Headed to the dealer tomorrow, hopefully all goes well for my bike as it is less than 6 weeks old.
    Got a link to the YouTube video?

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    It was on the first page of the thread but here it is anyway.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2Xg5DnlLV_A

mtbr member
    Jul 2010

Guess What, I broke my link too.

Total of 30 rides ranging from 10-30 miles of AM riding. Never any bike park use. Broke like all the others where the cut-out for the ISCG tabs are. I hope I get the revised link as I'm sure it is a manufacture defect. My question is: Why am I not on the Giant test team? If they are giving bikes to people that can't break one, and I break one in a couple of months, how are their testers worthy of the position that they are in. I'm not angry as I know that Giant has the best customer service in the industry and stand behind their products more than any other company out there, but I am a little concerned about how they are testing these bikes.

mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    If they stand behind their products so much why are they being so cagey on this issue and refusing to release any sort of acknowledgement? It's all hush hush, oh here are some new redesigned links (according to my last conversation with Giant Australia, they don't exist) but we won't say anything publicly... or in Giant Australia's case they just don't respond to my emails, ever, no matter what they're about.
    FFS. Basically, this is ******** and my link isn't even broken - I just want a spare and to be able to sell the bike with a good conscience if I need to!

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by Warfare
    I just want a spare and to be able to sell the bike with a good conscience if I need to!
    I would just be trying to get my hands one for my own safety, you never know when and what the situation might be when it does break. Just go to whatever LBS for Giant and show them this thread, pictures, as well as the video that's on here, then they won't be able to deny that there is something obviously wrong.

Www.rvmba.org
    Feb 2009
    At this point every Giant dealer knows of the failure. If you own a Reign X regardless if your link is broken are not you are entitled to a new redesigned link. I purchased one of the last RX frames available in the US in Sept and they gave me a new link no questions asked. Just go to your Giant dealer and they are supposed to get you a new link.

mtbr member
    Dec 2010

Reign X, 2010

Only found this forum after buying the bike 2 months ago and breaking the lower linkage a week ago, not a happy bunny.

Reign X frameset
    Medium Frame
    Approx 60hrs use
    Riding up hill on a road, (do alot of that here in Hong Kong!)
    Exact same place as others photos, i'm no engineer but its pretty obvious why it broke where it did.

Status: Giant dealer currently talking with factory, hoping for a speedy lasting solution.

Running a business as a Mountain bike instructor/guide over three years in Hong Kong I've used mostly Anthems & XTC's and happily recomended Giant as no-nonsense value for money bike manufacturer, indeed several clients have directly bought Giant after trying my own fleet of bikes.

It's early days at the moment but this could have quiet a profound impact on the what I ride & recomend in the future.

Steve

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    It seems that there's only 1 or 2 updated links that broke so far. Are there anymore? I've been riding mine (updated link) pretty hard on climbs and descents for almost 3mos and it's holding up. How's everybody else?

mtbr member
    May 2009
    So far so good. I only have about 10 hrs XC and moderate freeride usage on mine. The original lasted 40 hrs.

Enduroist
    Mar 2007
    I have beat the hell out of mine: multiple porcupine laps, a Super D on a brutally rocky course, a bunch of runs down a jumpy DH trail here in Salt Lake, and a smattering of XC riding. Holding up like a champ. I am cautiously optimistic that this link is a keeper.

At a little over 180 lb geared up, I am no featherweight (and am not the smoothest rider around by any means) FWIW.

mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    Hello, my bike, after two months with the new crank, giving a hard use, especially up to 25% trails (my weight 95 kg). all OK. hopefully it lasts.
    A greeting.

mtbr member
    Jun 2006

I don't understand

Velatropic -

first you wrote:
    "is very important to know if it's new that you have been broken to you, because they say that the only Giant who has broken into the world is mine."

then you wrote:
    "Hello, my bike, after two months with the new crank, giving a hard use, especially up to 25% trails (my weight 95 kg). all OK. hopefully it lasts.
    A greeting."

So you broke a new designed link or not ?????

mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    I have broken 3 links, the last (3 rd) that broke the new design is not the same mineral that today (4º link).

Greetings
    Last edited by valetropic; 12-22-2010 at 02:32 AM.

mtbr member
    Jun 2006

Thanx for the answer, but I am still confused

Are there two kinds of new designed links?

Anyone knows if the problem also exist in the 2011 Reign X?

mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    Contesto al privado de edgar_rua y escribo en español para evitar malas traducciones.

Vamos a ver si me explico bien, a mi se me han roto 3 bieletas, 2 del diseño original, y la 3ª del nuevo diseño, es decir que la que llevo ahora, es la 4ª bieleta que ha llevado mi bici, pero por lo que me cuenta el distribuidor de GIANT, esta última bieleta es de una nueva aleación mas resistente.

The OFFICIAL "I broke my Lower Link on my 2010 Reign X" thread.

mtbr member
    not sure if it's been asked before, the reign and the reign x has the same lower link?

fraid of heights
    Quote Originally Posted by Andy0912
    not sure if it's been asked before, the reign and the reign x has the same lower link?
    no definitely not the same
    Quote Originally Posted by the_owl
    Everytime you ride in mud, god kills a kitten.

fraid of heights
    Quote Originally Posted by anavot
    Are there two kinds of new designed links?

Anyone knows if the problem also exist in the 2011 Reign X?
    There's only one new link, he's saying he thinks the metal (mineral) is different on his second replacement 2nd generation link. But for as long as it took to get a replacement link it doesn't seem likely that Giant made a material change so quickly? I believe Velo has been riding his second new 2nd gen link since mid October?, but that he still says it flexes.

2011 frames have the new link, actually I bet the reason it took Giant so long to get out new links is cause they had to wait till the 2011 frames went into production and they just made extra new links??? JMO
    Quote Originally Posted by the_owl
    Everytime you ride in mud, god kills a kitten.

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    could it be that:
    downwards pedaling anti-squat force + rebound top-out force applied in the same instant (pedaling hard over a rock on a steep climb) make the link bend downwards until it hits the iscg tab and snap?

mtbr member
    How about cutting the ISCG tab snap top?

mtbr member
    from my blog (I'm sorry in italian...) look my "TIPS":

with FOX DH5 "down" check ther's no interference betwin link & derailleur !

Last edited by Fabione-; 01-21-2011 at 02:57 AM.

mtbr member
    Feb 2011
    just broke my giant x2 link.. To bad im from the philippines where customer service sucks lol...
    Last edited by tb11075; 03-11-2011 at 11:18 PM.

mtbr member
    Dec 2010
    just broke my giant x2 link.. To bad im from the philippines when customer service sucks lol...
    Good luck there...
    In HK the experience wasn't much better, the main dealer took three weeks to come up with the replacement then it turned out that they sent out the original weaker design!
    Took close to 15 emails over six weeks with pictures to convince them that the replacement wasn't the modified version and for them to get their act together and resolve it.

mtbr member
    Jan 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by bikestevehk
    Good luck there...
    In HK the experience wasn't much better, the main dealer took three weeks to come up with the replacement then it turned out that they sent out the original weaker design!
    Took close to 15 emails over six weeks with pictures to convince them that the replacement wasn't the modified version and for them to get their act together and resolve it.

Hi stevehk. im from hongkong too..i got my x2 2010 lastmth, and "yeung yeung" promise me that they will send me the "NEW DESIGN"of the lower link before i get hurt by that bike. so have you got the new link yet? they install it for you?

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    Hello, I'm also from Hong Kong, We have three 2010 Reign Xs! Does "yeung yeung" really promise that they will send u the new design link, even if the original link doesn't broken?

mtbr member
    Jan 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Simon
    Hello, I'm also from Hong Kong, We have three 2010 Reign Xs! Does "yeung yeung" really promise that they will send u the new design link, even if the original link doesn't broken?
    yes..that's what yeung yeung reply me even my original link doesn't broken "對, 已向工廠取了連桿, 但暫時未知何時寄出來, 有消息再通知您。"..and which reign x you got? when and where simon?

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    We bought the framesets on 6/2010. We also asking for the New link. Pls check PM. Thx.

mtbr member
    Feb 2011
    I talked to the distributor of giant in the philippines. He said he would compile all the information gathered and send it to taiwan. Just wondering he asked my height and weight hahahhaha...does it mean that reign x models has weight limits although im 5'7 and 180 pounds and riding a small... My link would take 1 to 2 months and i hope he sends the newly designed link..

mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by sofarider1
    At this point every Giant dealer knows of the failure. If you own a Reign X regardless if your link is broken are not you are entitled to a new redesigned link. I purchased one of the last RX frames available in the US in Sept and they gave me a new link no questions asked. Just go to your Giant dealer and they are supposed to get you a new link.
    Still no response from Giant, and last time I spoke to the dealer, same thing "Oh, Giant Australia knows nothing about this, there's no new link"

Never have I seen a more appropriate emoticon.

It's even more frustrating because I really like the way it rides, but I can't talk about it without this niggling feeling that there's some sort of engineering defect with it.

I'm basically at the point where I want one of you guys in the USA to buy a new link and post it to me. I don't want to go through another warranty battle with a company that doesn't want to play, been there, done that... and the bike is due for a rebuild so I'd really like to do so with the new link. PM me if anyone's interested... then I'll just take the new link in to my dealer, show it to them and give them an invoice for how much I paid for it and tell them to forward it to Giant Australia.

mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    Broke the new designed link climbing today, In the same usual spot. Hopefully giant will finally do something about it besides just a new link.

mtbr member
    Jan 2011
    for all 2010 reign X owner from hongkong. i just got the redesigned link from "yeung yeung" today. but they ask me to give back the old link to exchange the redesigned lower link.

PS: sorry for my english =-)
    Last edited by crazelee; 03-15-2011 at 05:04 AM.

mtbr member
    Jan 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Thomaswildchild
    Broke the new designed link climbing today, In the same usual spot. Hopefully giant will finally do something about it besides just a new link.

do you mind to post some photo of the broken new designed link? because i need it for reference. thanks a lot

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    Has anyone tried a Giant Faith Link? I have no idea if it fits, but it might?

mtbr member
    Dec 2010
    Not had any more issues since having had the redesigned link fitted 3 months ago but i'm worried about reports of even the new one failing as I do spend alot of time climbing.

Crazelee- I had to return the bike back to Friendly Bike (where I bought it) to have the new link fitted but dealt with Chung Yung by email regarding the improved link, they got there in the end.

Page 4 of 13 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast