Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Feb 2010
    Welp, I did it! I finally broke my link. after reading this thread for months and thinking it wouldnt happen to me it did. It broke on a little up hill section where I spun hard to get up and over some dead fall. As soon as I did I hear a loud snap and just thought it was my chain. A few feet down the trail I look down and see my BB going from side to side and I knew right away what happened. I didnt do anything that a burly AM bike shouldnt be able to handle. I ride at Diablo alot and do drops, airs and DH on my reign X and have had no problem until I did a little climb!

Anyway, I almost did an 18mile loop today, but decided against it since it was so crowded and I am lucky I did. I would be SOL if it broke halfway out there and I had to hike it back. Instead I did a smaller XC loop by my house and was able to only hike it .5miles out of the woods. I probably could have ridden it out, but I didnt want to screw up anything else. So now I have to wait until the dealer opens on tuesday to take my bike in...Maybe ill get all new bearings out of the deal too?

Slower But Faster
    Broke my second one at Whistler last week. Giant Canada kindly warrantied it (even though I bought the bike in New Zealand) and I was back up and running the same day. Top service!

mtbr member
    Yeah...+ 1 to global warranty.

Info to come soon on the link side of the fence...as from the grape vine!

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    any photos from 2012 lower link?

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    just got back from riding Surrey Hills, and dagnabbit the lower link only went and snapped on me half way round. Had to walk back to Winterfold 3-4 miles, no great shakes. But this is the 3rd one if i remember rightly, a couple of the original one's and a new one grrrrrrrrr. I shall be phoning Giant UK tomorrow and see where we stand on how many warranted lower links one can have before something gives.

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    got my lbs to contact giant uk, the result 4new links +5 sets of bearing kits

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    Well i transitioned from a fast downhill to a steep climb and heard a loud snap.....i figured my lower link was a done...
    fortunately it wasn't my lower link, but unfortunately now i've found another weak spot in my 2011 REIGN X0.
    i dont know what its called but basically i broke the hardware that mounts my shock to the upper linkage.
    not too stoked...even though its covered under warranty, i am without a bike for a week and quickly losing confidence in this bike.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails The OFFICIAL "I broke my Lower Link on my 2010 Reign X" thread.-img_0538.jpg  

Adrnln Jnke
    I dont think that is a Giant issue, I believe that is a hardware issue. might have been over torqued and the bolt streached and finally gave out. I wouldnt blame that on Giant!!
    Ride it like you Stole it

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by moutnbiker View Post
    I dont think that is a Giant issue, I believe that is a hardware issue. might have been over torqued and the bolt streached and finally gave out. I wouldnt blame that on Giant!!
    Well who would you blame then?
    The bike is 3 months old and I have not touched that bolt.!it's factory torqued from giant.
    Also I'm told that the hardware is specific to giant therefore it's been engineered to work on this frame, by giant.

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by murrdogg11 View Post
    Well who would you blame then?
    Sorry dude but the answer is probably "you".
    The bike is 3 months old and I have not touched that bolt.
    That is the problem. Basic regular maintenance requires that you check if every bolt, especially linkage ones, is torqued to spec.

Also I'm told that the hardware is specific to giant therefore it's been engineered to work on this frame, by giant.
    Fortunatly it is not! Just take the bolt to a hardware store that stock metric bolt and a buy a few of them. If you get a replacement from Giant they will sell it to you for 10 times the price if not more.

In my experience that bolt tend to bend overtime and need to be replaced every couple months.

bacon! bacon! bacon!
    Quote Originally Posted by nightnerd View Post
    Sorry dude but the answer is probably "you".
    That is the problem. Basic regular maintenance requires that you check if every bolt, especially linkage ones, is torqued to spec.
    Poppycock. A pivot bolt breaking is NOT the buyer's fault...

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by SkaredShtles View Post
    Is that written somewhere?

bacon! bacon! bacon!
    It's in Giant's warranty. If a pivot bolt breaks or bends in 3 months it's a defect and covered by the warranty.

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    Really dude?! Shits weak.
    anyways, it's not my fault or giant wouldnt be warrantying it, and they are.

but really, thanks for the maintenance tips, that was something i did not realize. i will pick up a couple spare bolts to have with me for biketrips.

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    Really dude?! Shits weak.
    anyways, it's not my fault or giant wouldnt be warrantying it, and they are.

but really, thanks for the maintenance tips, that was something i did not realize. i will pick up a couple spare bolts to have with me for biketrips.
    That's what I do too. You might even find stronger ones at the hardware store. It is also a lot faster than waiting for a warranty claim...

Another tip is to use blue loctite on the pivot bolts.

mtbr member
    Mar 2011

Upper Shock Mounting Hardware

I do agree that it may not be a Giant issue with the mounting hardware, but I have broken the upper shock mount on my bike 2 times. Both time the bolts that broke was shear rated steal bolt. This time I replaced the entire upper mount with a Rock Shox M6 12.7X22.2 mounting hardware, it's a different style mount then what come stock on the bike and it's a much stronger better design. So far it haven't broken it a 3rd time.
    also before both failures, my bike started making a lot of creating sounds so perhaps if you listen to your bike it will warn you before the upper mount fails

Te mortuo heres tibi sim?
    For the upper bolt, you just need a m6 x 40mm allen. Preferably button head, but non-button with a decent washer will do the trick. Then you are riding, not waiting on Giant. A touch of blue Loctite, snug it up and go.

Bolt may have been over or under tight. No biggie, it happens. Get over it and go ride.

IMO, the only thing Giant is wrong with there is specc'ing a bike like this with a little 6mm bolt rather than a much beefier but only slightly heavier m8.
    Florence Nightingale's Stormtrooper

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by scrublover View Post
    For the upper bolt, you just need a m6 x 40mm allen. Preferably button head, but non-button with a decent washer will do the trick. Then you are riding, not waiting on Giant. A touch of blue Loctite, snug it up and go.

Bolt may have been over or under tight. No biggie, it happens. Get over it and go ride.

IMO, the only thing Giant is wrong with there is specc'ing a bike like this with a little 6mm bolt rather than a much beefier but only slightly heavier m8.
    Thanks. I'll go to the fastener store and grab a few extras. Do u know the specs on the lower bolt?

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    The lower bolt is like a 13 MM smooth boar shaft (I didn't measure it) and the end caps are part of the shaft that thread together to make a single piece. that peace has to be bought throw Giant as a specialty item

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    I'm no engineer but the bolt shouldn't be taking the weight of the joint, it should only be holding the mechanism together that it's designed for. There must be some serious flex in that joint to snap the bolt.
    2012 Giant Roam 0
    2009 Gary Fisher Tassajara
    198? Peugeot Record Du Monde

Quote Originally Posted by b1g bleu View Post
    I'm no engineer but the bolt shouldn't be taking the weight of the joint, it should only be holding the mechanism together that it's designed for. There must be some serious flex in that joint to snap the bolt.

lots and lots of bikes over the years (and current) use 6mm hardware on both ends. not a big deal. it's nothing new. hell, many use systems that are even worse implemented than that of the RX.

the lower hardware of the frame is way, way larger sized and beefier than normal, it's only the upper bolt that is normal sized.

stick a new bolt in, and go ride. seriously, it really isn't a design flaw or a big issue. stick some loctite on the threads and ride.

and yes, i'm only talking about the upper mount bolt breaking, not the link or anything else. as treeroot said, the rock shox reducers are better than the fox ones. cheap, easy to swap, and introduce less stress into the bolt.

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    well after breaking four lower links, and reading of the shock bolt shearing i removed and inspected the bolt..not bent, no sign of fatigue so replaced bolt and of i went on my sunday ride and the bolt sheared, ho hum another phone call required i guess

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by hobbz View Post
    well after breaking four lower links, and reading of the shock bolt shearing i removed and inspected the bolt..not bent, no sign of fatigue so replaced bolt and of i went on my sunday ride and the bolt sheared, ho hum another phone call required i guess
    That sucks.... I think I'll be ordering one of those rockshox kits as mentioned above to avoid this problem.

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    any photo of 2012 lower link?

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by Treeroot View Post
    I do agree that it may not be a Giant issue with the mounting hardware, but I have broken the upper shock mount on my bike 2 times. Both time the bolts that broke was shear rated steal bolt. This time I replaced the entire upper mount with a Rock Shox M6 12.7X22.2 mounting hardware, it's a different style mount then what come stock on the bike and it's a much stronger better design. So far it haven't broken it a 3rd time.
    also before both failures, my bike started making a lot of creating sounds so perhaps if you listen to your bike it will warn you before the upper mount fails
    Universal Cycles -- Rock Shox Monarch/Vivid/Ario 3.2 Mount Kits

is this the one? just need one of these for the top right?

Universal Cycles -- Rock Shox Monarch/Vivid/Ario 3.2 Mount Kits

is this the one? just need one of these for the top right?
    Yep. Mine just measured 21mm and a bit (with everything installed and snugged up, so I'd go for the 6mm x 21.8mm one. could possibly be 22.2mm, and I'm just measuring it really "tight" with everything bolted up.

If you can't get it confirmed for sure on the size, maybe order up both? Sure it'll be in one of the RX threads somewhere though.

I like the idea of their hardware much better. Seems like it would spread more of any shear load occurring on the bolt along more of the length, rather than two smaller areas.

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    It is 6mm X 21.85mm. I just ordered two kits from Elka as they have it in stock. They call it a "3-piece mounting hardware". Another option is the roller bearing reducer from enduroforkseals.com. I'd be curious to hear if the bearing is worth the extra$$$.

mtbr member
    Mar 2011

2012 Riegn X posted on Giant Web Sight

The 2012 bikes are on the Giant web sight. and if you look at the 2012 Reign X frame and zoom in on the lower link. there is nothing changed unless they used a much stronger metal? it looks identical to the 2010 Version 2 link. If this observation is true Giant is looking to get sued for selling a known faulty design.

Quote Originally Posted by Treeroot View Post
    The 2012 bikes are on the Giant web sight. and if you look at the 2012 Reign X frame and zoom in on the lower link. there is nothing changed unless they used a much stronger metal? it looks identical to the 2010 Version 2 link. If this observation is true Giant is looking to get sued for selling a known faulty design.
    Obviously you were able to zoom in to look at the link off the bike, from all angle then right?

Since that's the only way you'd be able to tell that there is "nothing changed" in the link.

Would likelybe pretty easy to beef it up where it needs it, and ensure it doesn't have any contact with the upper ISCG tab in a way that wouldn't at all be visible.

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    Looking at the 2012 version, the chain guide is missing (still has the roller on bottom) so my best guess is by removing the guide allows them to eliminate some of the tabs. Which could change the design in the link. I am just guessing though, have to wait to see it closer or in person.

Quote Originally Posted by simple78 View Post
    Looking at the 2012 version, the chain guide is missing (still has the roller on bottom) so my best guess is by removing the guide allows them to eliminate some of the tabs. Which could change the design in the link. I am just guessing though, have to wait to see it closer or in person.
    Nope.

Reign X Frameset (2012) - Bikes | Giant Bicycles | United States

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    Well that sucks I never looked at the frameset, thanks

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    Just an update on my broken linkage bolt,,,it seems when i broke it i also bent my swingarm...****.
    so my lbs took care of me and got me a new one within a work week...nice.
    we were looking at the swingarm and thinking it would not be hard to tap and dye it for a stronger m8 bolt rather than the stock m6....anyone think this is a good or bad idea?

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    it'll void the warranty, but if your ok with that it's got to be better than an m6. I think it's a tad light-weight for a supposed all-mountain/trail bike, having had mine snap last week.

Adrnln Jnke
    I dont know if its just me or did Giant forget to plug the ISCG holes before they painted this frame?
    They could have at least poked out the paint of the ISCG holes before they took the pic of this frame.
    I do however like this paint scheme better than the complete XO bike.
    Ride it like you Stole it

Enduroist
    Mar 2007
    My frameset (2010) had smakll stickers over the iscg holes, I bet that is what is going on there too. The holes themselves were free of paint, and were ready to thread my guide to (once I removed the stickers anyway). FWIW.

Glad they are doing a ReignX frameset again this year.

mtbr member
    Aug 2006
    Well i transitioned from a fast downhill to a steep climb and heard a loud snap.....i figured my lower link was a done...
    fortunately it wasn't my lower link, but unfortunately now i've found another weak spot in my 2011 REIGN X0.
    i dont know what its called but basically i broke the hardware that mounts my shock to the upper linkage.
    not too stoked...even though its covered under warranty, i am without a bike for a week and quickly losing confidence in this bike.
    Thats another issue....the bolt that holds together shock and link is kinda weak...mine is bent ..since the first month...I`m having serious thoughts about selling mine

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by Memo View Post
    Thats another issue....the bolt that holds together shock and link is kinda weak...mine is bent ..since the first month...I`m having serious thoughts about selling mine
    since they replaced my upper linkage ive allready bent another bolt....after 2 rides.
    i dont know whats going on here, if something is misaligned or what, or if because i nedd a stronger bolt, i was using a stainless one.

Slower But Faster
    Same thing happened to me today, not too impressed as by the time I stopped, the upper linkage had garked the frame.

May contain nuts
    The bolts Giant use should be heat treated and have much longer shanks, not threaded 2/3 of the length, which weakens them in the middle.

This might help:

I was bending bolts on my old Reign and tired of replacing DU bushes every couple of months, so I got rid of the shite top-hat reducers and had a stainless thru-axle with aluminium spacers made up (same as Giant put on the bottom pivot). It's a light press fit and the axle is geased. Has less friction than the top hats and bolt. The axle prevents the bolt from bending in the middle.

Been 12 months and I haven't had to replace a DU and haven't bent another bolt.

Another alternative would be the RWC needle bearing kits...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails The OFFICIAL "I broke my Lower Link on my 2010 Reign X" thread.-thru-axle-pivot.jpg  

The OFFICIAL "I broke my Lower Link on my 2010 Reign X" thread.-thru-axle-pivot-2.jpg  

mtbr member
    RWC needle bearing kits - ideal solution.

mtbr member
    Aug 2006
    OK ..........SO IS IT WORTH TO SELL THE X0 AND GET A FRAME THAT HOLDS UP AM-FR USE????..I^m very sad to ask this because I love my reign, is anyone thinking about this? my link already broke once.

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    Well, I have broken 2 (1st version links, 2010 Rx1) I have said to myself that I would scrap the frame and get something else when/if my link breaks again. But its been a couple months on the new link so I am crossing my fingures it holds up for a awhile longer.
    Last edited by simple78; 09-23-2011 at 03:29 AM.

mtbr member
    Aug 2006
    tell me!!.............I bet everyone here is doing the same...I told my self if it brakes again (2nd time) the I`ll get something else,

everytime I stop after a rought section I check the link..I might be paranoid but after reading all these 7 pages and see dozens of broken links what can I do..just be paranoid about it.

It comes to my mind...what would happen if the link brakes on both sides on a fast/jumps/rough section..will the upper link be damaged, will the rear triangle be damaged, will the chain ring hit ground...many things can happen

Www.rvmba.org
    Feb 2009
    I have had my RX for a year now. I have not had any problems what so ever. In fact it is the best bike I have ever owned and I have had a few. From Turners to Ellsworths to Konas and Santa Cruz. I also owned the old version of the RX and currently own a Trance X as well.
    I didnt break my first link but did replace it with the upgrade link just in case. I ride everything with this bike from XC to DH/Freeride. I climb steep pitches and descend all out DH. I hit gaps, drops etc. I ride it super hard and not one hiccup other than having to replace pivot bearings once. I rode it all last winter in horrible conditions.

Bummer that some of you have had issues. But as for me. I love this bike and recommend it to people all the time.

Enduroist
    Mar 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by Memo View Post
    OK ..........SO IS IT WORTH TO SELL THE X0 AND GET A FRAME THAT HOLDS UP AM-FR USE????..I^m very sad to ask this because I love my reign, is anyone thinking about this? my link already broke once.
    Yes, you should definitely get rid of it. I would be more than happy to "dispose" of that frame properly .

I will say that after breaking the original link on my 2010 ReignX, I was super bummed out. However, the new link has held up to an insane amount of thrashing it down trails with large jumps and drops, and is holding up like a champ. I am 180#, and don't mind hucking s#!+ to flat either .

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    [QUOTE
    I will say that after breaking the original link on my 2010 ReignX, I was super bummed out. However, the new link has held up to an insane amount of thrashing it down trails with large jumps and drops, and is holding up like a champ. I am 180#, and don't mind hucking s#!+ to flat either .[/QUOTE]

You should count your blessings. I broke the new design after normal all mountain riding without ever doing jumps or drops. I would say my new design lasted about as long as the 3 old designs that I broke. Currently, Iím on my second new design link. This time I have been keeping tally of all the rides that I have done on it. An average ride I do is about 10 to 15 miles of all mountain terrain. Right now I am on ride #18. It actually feels like this link is holding up better than the last one. Based on my extensive experience with broken lower links, I predicted this link to break around ride #15. I Since I have passed this benchmark, I am now predicting that my link will break between ride # 20 and 25. If I make it to ride #30, then this particular link is indeed special and will have defiantly held up longer that any of my previous 4.

mtbr member
    Russian roulette =)

May contain nuts
    Quote Originally Posted by TwoWheelKing View Post
    [QUOTE
    I will say that after breaking the original link on my 2010 ReignX, I was super bummed out. However, the new link has held up to an insane amount of thrashing it down trails with large jumps and drops, and is holding up like a champ. I am 180#, and don't mind hucking s#!+ to flat either .
    You should count your blessings. I broke the new design after normal all mountain riding without ever doing jumps or drops. I would say my new design lasted about as long as the 3 old designs that I broke. Currently, Iím on my second new design link. This time I have been keeping tally of all the rides that I have done on it. An average ride I do is about 10 to 15 miles of all mountain terrain. Right now I am on ride #18. It actually feels like this link is holding up better than the last one. Based on my extensive experience with broken lower links, I predicted this link to break around ride #15. I Since I have passed this benchmark, I am now predicting that my link will break between ride # 20 and 25. If I make it to ride #30, then this particular link is indeed special and will have defiantly held up longer that any of my previous 4.[/QUOTE]

How's your bro's 2011 going?

mtbr member
    Mar 2011

Riding Hard on a Reign X

A lot of people are posting about how they are scared to ride the Reign X hard. I have broken 6 links -total- only 1 link was an Old style link. I'm not afraid of rock garden's, boulder drop, or any form of down hill, because none of those events flex the lower link at the weak point. If you want to see why the lower link brakes, take your bike on a trail, point your front end uphill (a steep up hill), sit on your seat so most of your weight is on the bike (so your rear shock is about 40-50%), grab your front brake and very carefully push on your drive side pedal and watch the lower link bow and flex inward. That is the combo that is braking all of my links. All of the "heavy riding" people are concerned about does not torque and flex the link at it's weak point. I trust my bike doing everything but climbing back up the mountain to ride it again. The sad part is, the point of owning an All Mountain bike is to climb and descend.

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by Haggis View Post
    How's your bro's 2011 going?
    O, it lasted about of mounth and a half before it met the same fate as many other Reign X lower links. However, like I mentioned eailer, Giant gave him a 2011 Reign X with a 2010 style lower link so he actually broke the original design, which came as no suprise. That will teach him to think twice before he takes his little brothers advise about buying his next bike (at the time I assured him that Giant would definatly fix the problem for 2011).

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    Funny thought:

I was up at Northstar today and Giant was having a bike demo. I observed that they were demoing, 29ers, Anthems, Trances, Reigns, and Glorys but no Reign Xs. Through logical reasoning I came to the conclusion that there were no Reign Xs is because the demoers would rather party at night instead of replace lower links. Even Giant employees are sick of the Reign X.

Www.rvmba.org
    Feb 2009
    Interesting. I will have to give that a try. I climb some pretty steep grades on my RX without granny. I am a slow cadence single ring grinder.
    I am just glad I have not had the problem. Yet.

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    Not afraid of it breaking, I use my rx1 for everything from trail to lift access never broke doing drops or jumps. my links broke as you said on hills but always was able to ride it home. And my lbs has been great getting me new links in less than a week. Its going through the hassle of it all is what bothers me the most, and seems like nothing much has been done to fix the issue. and Giant doesnt seem to think its an issue

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    i had my bent upper link replaced.
    i purchased and installed 3 peice shock hardware.
    i found 12.9 hardened steel bolts.
    im still bending upper pivot bolts regulary...like every 2 rides.
    they are not bending as much as before, it is only slight...but i am bending them none the less...
    im out of ideas...anybody have any?
    would the rwc kits be much better than the 3 peice hardware?

mtbr member

Giant Reign XO lower link

was quoted £150 at my LBS! I have posted a message on the Giant website to ask whether they have solved the problem.
    Quote Originally Posted by ah51416 View Post
    How much does it cost to replace a broken lower link if the bike is not under warranty?

mtbr member
    May 2009
    I was cleaning my bike last month and noticed the link was cracked 3/4 of the way through. It would have broken on the next ride. This was my second one, a redesigned version. The LBS got me new one for free in a week which was awesome, but at this point Im not sure I even want to bother putting it on. I don't trust the bike anymore and don't feel right trying to sell it. What if it broke on a jump or fast section? By the way the link costs 130$ if Giant ever makes us pay for one.

Has anyone tried cutting off the top tab on the bottom bracket? If you notice where the link breaks there is a cutout for the tab to fit into. My tab is pretty chipped on top so it looks like the link was hitting it with some force. I'm not sure how that is happening though because when you compress the suspension the tab rotates upward. It only rotates down when rebounding. The chipped tab might not be the cause of all this though.

mtbr member
    What you need to do is try to get a 2011/2012 link. You will have to file the upper tab to be narrower since the 3rd generation link is thicker. My 2011 RX came with one, and i had to make a custom, shortened upper ISCG bolt so that it didn't go through the tab and hit the link. I'm running a short spindle and therefore no spacers behind my guide so the bolt had to be extra short.
    Santa Cruz Bronson 2 27.5/Rockshox Pike/Sram XX1
    Salsa Mukluk/Rockshox Bluto/Sram X1

mtbr member
    I just got a 2012 and someone made the comment that the lower link looked just like their 2nd gen. link. I held out for the 2012s to avoid this problem!

Can anyone tell me for sure that I'm in the clear with this link? If not, I guess I'll find out soon enough.

mtbr member
    They do look nearly the same. What you want to look for is the thinned down upper ISCG tab and corresponding thicker area of the link behind that upper tab. You might not be able to tell the difference between the gen 2 and gen 3 links without having them both in your hands. If you do have the thinned down upper tab, and there is minimal clearance between the tab and the link then you should have the gen 3 link. If your bike is a 2012 then i could only imagine you have the gen 3 link. I did see some early 2011's with the gen 2 though.
    Santa Cruz Bronson 2 27.5/Rockshox Pike/Sram XX1
    Salsa Mukluk/Rockshox Bluto/Sram X1

mtbr member
    I would have bet money on it being the 3rd, but the seed of doubt was planted in my brain (maybe I should have bought a Faith? Ooooh, I have jokes....)

mtbr member

Reign XO

I've got a 2010 XO Frame with a broken lower link, LBS has ordered a replacement from Giant, supposedly this will be a 3rd Gen version? - do I file the upper ISCG Tab down? and where exactly do I file on the upper Tab; the face of it or the top of it? don't want to screw it up!
    Quote Originally Posted by krispy@go-ride.com View Post
    They do look nearly the same. What you want to look for is the thinned down upper ISCG tab and corresponding thicker area of the link behind that upper tab. You might not be able to tell the difference between the gen 2 and gen 3 links without having them both in your hands. If you do have the thinned down upper tab, and there is minimal clearance between the tab and the link then you should have the gen 3 link. If your bike is a 2012 then i could only imagine you have the gen 3 link. I did see some early 2011's with the gen 2 though.

Space Cowboy
    Quote Originally Posted by krispy@go-ride.com View Post
    What you need to do is try to get a 2011/2012 link. You will have to file the upper tab to be narrower since the 3rd generation link is thicker. My 2011 RX came with one, and i had to make a custom, shortened upper ISCG bolt so that it didn't go through the tab and hit the link. I'm running a short spindle and therefore no spacers behind my guide so the bolt had to be extra short.
    I believe this is what im running atm.

Boring part:
    I snapped mine a few days ago, not sure if going off a large jump, which i land smooth off, yes, everytime Or at the end of an XC ride the day before. I only noticed it because i made a rattle sound when i went over bumps fast and my gears were skipping a little.
    I still hit jumps and then about an hour of XC riding including small XC drops. opps...

INTERESTING PART:
    I went to one of my LBS and ordered the part, told them a zillion times to make sure its the best version, latest gen etc. Well the Fuked up. I opened the bag and realised it was HEAVIER, THICKER and SOLID. No cut away for front mech or BB tabs.
    I was pissed off at 1st then remembered all the issues with the 2nd gen with a smaller cut away. So tomorrow im going to cut off my top BB tab and use it.
    Ive never seen or heard about this version breaking. I think it maybe the 2012 version.

Sorry for terrible pics.... i just ran outside to take them now at 10pm with my phone, in a low light garage....
    btw its a 2010 X1 (Powder-coated Exotic Black)

The OFFICIAL "I broke my Lower Link on my 2010 Reign X" thread.-1.jpg
    The OFFICIAL "I broke my Lower Link on my 2010 Reign X" thread.-2.jpg

mtbr member
    More pictures please =)

Space Cowboy
    Quote Originally Posted by xell View Post
    More pictures please =)
    Sure thing

More pics tomorrow when i take off and cut top tab.
    12am here in Sydney atm.

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    what version of lower link is that? reign or reignx 4ļ generation?

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    That looks like a Reign lower link. I have always wondered if it would fit on the Reign X

Space Cowboy
    Quote Originally Posted by nolipoli View Post
    That looks like a Reign lower link. I have always wondered if it would fit on the Reign X
    I thinking its not the Reign 2011 link, i checked it to my mates Reign 2011.
    Maybe 2012? Anyone have a pic?

Well as promised i took more pics today
    I forgot the weight it sry dudes, but its definitely heavier then my other one.

Installed fine. I had to cut off the top BB tab. Didnt matter, as i only use the other ones.
    I TRIPLE checked the clearance, all looks sweet. Even raised the front mech just incase of flex.
    Only thing i noticed which was weird was that the rear triangle now sits a couple of millimeters lower. I noticed this because my Chain tensioner roller was hitting the chain stay. So i just dropped it down a little. You can see in the below pics.

I just notice now that the tab i cut off is fairly scratched in the pic. Im thinking most of the damage would have been the link bouncing around when i kept on riding. But it looks a little dented on the top. This is interesting to note.

Depending on how this link preforms ill get some further info from my LBS about Exactly the type of link, unless anyone can correctly identify it. All i know is they said its a current Reign link and looks different because its an aftermarket part from Giant. So maybe its a link that doesnt come stock on any Reign?

And i just realised I had my GoPro on when I had broken the link.
    At about 44secs if you turn up your sound you can hear a light rattle, its alot louder in person.
    Sry for the crap GoPro rattle sound you hear. just got the camera and was testing mounts etc.
    GoPro2 Mount testing - YouTube

Anyway thats all the info i can supply on this topic atm....Off the do some jumps and drops then ill inspect the link and any marks etc that it may receive and report back tonight.
    Wish me Luck

The OFFICIAL "I broke my Lower Link on my 2010 Reign X" thread.-l1.jpg

The OFFICIAL "I broke my Lower Link on my 2010 Reign X" thread.-l2.jpg

The OFFICIAL "I broke my Lower Link on my 2010 Reign X" thread.-l3.jpg

The OFFICIAL "I broke my Lower Link on my 2010 Reign X" thread.-l4.jpg

The OFFICIAL "I broke my Lower Link on my 2010 Reign X" thread.-l5.jpg

The OFFICIAL "I broke my Lower Link on my 2010 Reign X" thread.-l6.jpg
    Last edited by shoryuken; 12-01-2011 at 06:53 PM.

Space Cowboy
    Took the bike out for a stress test yesterday.
    Bike did great. Not sure if its just my imagination but it does feel stronger in the rear.
    I remember if you used your foot and pushed into the cranks from the side the frame would always give a little. Now it doesnt at all.

I went jumping and climbing (as most of you seem to break it on hills). I purposely landed on flats or wouldnt pull it all the way back in after a whip.

I pulled apart the link today to inpect damage and not a mark from the BB shell or the mech.
    Everything seems tight and solid.

Hope i have found a winner.

Here is what i had to do to the upper BB tab to make it fit:
    And another pic of the ride to make this post more interesting :P
    Good luck everyone with the links, just ask if you want more info it.

The OFFICIAL "I broke my Lower Link on my 2010 Reign X" thread.-img_2283.jpg

The OFFICIAL "I broke my Lower Link on my 2010 Reign X" thread.-xxx.jpg

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    does everyone agree that his replacement is a reign link or is it a new generation reign x link?

May contain nuts
    Tidy fix Shoryuken, thanks for the detailed posts. I'll have a gander at a 2011 Reign tomorrow & see if I can spot any difference in the link...

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    I dare to say that that is obviously a Reign link.
    Would Giant ever release a Link that would imply cutting of an ISCG tab? don't think so.
    Good part is that finally there is a beta tester for Reign links fitted on Reign X.

BTW, Great & detailed desciption, Thanks Shoryuken.

Space Cowboy
    Quote Originally Posted by marsupilami View Post
    I dare to say that that is obviously a Reign link.
    Would Giant ever release a Link that would imply cutting of an ISCG tab? don't think so.
    Good part is that finally there is a beta tester for Reign links fitted on Reign X.

BTW, Great & detailed desciption, Thanks Shoryuken.
    Im seeing my mate with a 2011 Reign (not X) and ill take some pics of his link.
    Think his has a cut out for the mech.

cyas 2moro night

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    I think it's like the 2009 model(reign)
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails The OFFICIAL "I broke my Lower Link on my 2010 Reign X" thread.-download-4.jpg  

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    Old Reign linkage for sure. Will work fine? same travel? or maybe a big fail from Giant warranty dept?.

Will know...

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    Yo, Just found this thread, I have a bike built using a 2011 Reign frame, it sounds like this is not limited to Xs... or is it? Also has anyone noticed a creaking before it broke entirely or does it just snap out of the blue?

mtbr member
    Aug 2006
    I think it`s limited to de X`s...noone noticed any creaking... apparently it breaks under medium-high pedaling force...when right foot is pushing pulls chain and bends rear triangle, and the force is taken by link and it breaks...huge massive fail by giant

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    It just affects Reign X.
    It's easy to see why. As I've learned from previous posts, one can easily see that the link on the Reign X was to much fragilized in order to accommodate the ISCG upper tab

Link TranceX:

Link Reign:

Link ReignX:

Link Glory:

May contain nuts
    Kinda wierd that Shoryuken's replacement link doesn't have any cut-out for the derailleur. Even the Trance has one.

mtbr member
    Feb 2011
    hey shoryuken How's the new link? Is it holding up?

mtbr member
    Aug 2006
    I think we have done Giant`s engineering work...they now just need a copy paste to improve link haha..please!! we need a 3rd gen link by yesterday

mtbr member
    Feb 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by shoryuken View Post
    Im seeing my mate with a 2011 Reign (not X) and ill take some pics of his link.
    Think his has a cut out for the mech.

cyas 2moro night

So shoryuken, how's the link? is it a reign link or an old/ 09 reign x link? How's it holding up?

Hope to hear from you soon

Space Cowboy
    Hey Dudes.

Back again. All is going great!
    I really attempted to go as far as i can on the new link.

Ive hit bigger jumps, which i knew i wouldnt clear yet, either landing on flat or casing. Landing the odd ones sorta sideways as well.
    Done more and more drops (been building alot with all this rain in Sydney atm).
    And taken the Reign X1 out on XC rides and kept it in a higher gear just to try and see how my XC friends do it. Im talking pedalling so hard i have to use all my upper strength to pull myself down to the bars and into each pedal stroke.

The only stuff i havnt done is a full DH run. But im sure all the other stuff ive done adds up to plenty. Its to wet here atm, slippery rock gardens etc. cbb.

Im really happy with this link. Like i said it really is stronger. I cant flex the frame when i apply side-on pressure to the crank area with my foot.

This link is so awesome, it almost makes me sad at the same time ....Cos if it breaks, then nothing can help us

EDIT: I can also absolutely guarantee that the link is touching nothing, the BB or the mech. If it breaks, its definitely cos it sucks. ( The link is still perfect condition, not a mark or scratch on it)

mtbr member
    I have a 2010 Reign SX that I bought in June of 2010 and I broke my first link yesterday. I took it to the shop where I bought it and they had a extra link at the shop so I should get my bike back today. He said mine was the 4th one that he has seen with a broken link.

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    I have a 2010 Reign X and a 2011 Reign. Time permitting, I will attempt to put the Reign link on the Reign X.
    I only have time after Christmas, but I will do it and report back.

I have a 2nd Gen link on the bike, and so far it has been fine, but I am not keen on having it break out on a ride.

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    Well, after one shortened frame (hit a tree square on, upshot bike 2" shorter),and a new frame and four broken linkages (2 old-2 new) and a snapped upper shock mounting bolt, i was getting a tad frustrated. I spoke with my lbs , (who i must add did a sterling job in sorting this all out),they got in contact with Giant UK, the first outcome was a box of links +bearings x4.Lbs said this was an admission that there was something amiss. After reading that one owner's shock bolt snapped, i checked mine and found nothing untoward.........yep next ride it snapped,so back to lbs and the conversation was "i like the way the giant ride's ,if only the link didn't break.....what about sending the frame back and exchanging under warranty for Reign frame. A phone call later from lbs , Giant will warrant both frames, though you might only get one back. Sounded ok to me ,at least i'll get a bike i can ride without worrying whether it's gonna fail. Three weeks later ,two 2012 Reign frames turn up much to mine and my lbs surprise. So hats of to Simon and Max @ Phoenix Cycles,Eastbourne for all their efforts and also to Giant UK for their understanding and quick response to one owners dilemma

mtbr member
    Dec 2011

broke one today

I just purchased my 2010 Reign SX about two months ago and it had a new link (probably 2010 replacement). I snapped it today going uphill, pedaling hard to get over some fairly large boulders, but the thing I noticed was the back end swaying around and my crank hitting the chainstay. Upon a closer look, I sheered the drive side lower linkage straight through.

It's quite surprising that simple pedaling can cause such catastrophic failure to a very important part of the bike... especially after taking this thing down that trail... it has to be rougher on the bike doing down than going up, no?

I'll find out from the bike shop after the New Year because lo and behold, Giant is closed for the entire week next week! There goes riding for the holidays..

mtbr member
    Dec 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by sarichter View Post
    I just purchased my 2010 Reign SX about two months ago and it had a new link (probably 2010 replacement). I snapped it today going uphill, pedaling hard to get over some fairly large boulders, but the thing I noticed was the back end swaying around and my crank hitting the chainstay. Upon a closer look, I sheered the drive side lower linkage straight through.

It's quite surprising that simple pedaling can cause such catastrophic failure to a very important part of the bike... especially after taking this thing down that trail... it has to be rougher on the bike doing down than going up, no?

I'll find out from the bike shop after the New Year because lo and behold, Giant is closed for the entire week next week! There goes riding for the holidays..
    Well I will say one thing... Giant's US customer service is very good. 2nd Generation link on it's way over and they are sending the entire linkage system and new bearings... crossing my fingers this one doesn't pop!

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    just broke my 5th linkage.

really like the bike otherwise.

the ISCG tabs are not clocked in the right place anyhow (i use bb mount lopes guide), thinking of switching to the reign linakge and grinding off the tab... the idea of a stiffer rear end is super appealing as well, as it seems the reign link would be.

anyone other than the poster above done so?

mtbr member
    Dec 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by marshalolson View Post
    just broke my 5th linkage.

really like the bike otherwise.

the ISCG tabs are not clocked in the right place anyhow (i use bb mount lopes guide), thinking of switching to the reign linakge and grinding off the tab... the idea of a stiffer rear end is super appealing as well, as it seems the reign link would be.

anyone other than the poster above done so?
    I'm on my second link and hopefully won't break it, but if I do... there is another member here (listed recently above) that used a hacksaw to cut off the tab and then a grinder to smooth out the ring around the BB. I'm going to do this as well if this new linkage snaps... probably going to have to haggle with the Giant people on letting me pay for just the Reign lower link as they sent me the entire rear linkage system on this warranty replacement.

mtbr member
    Feb 2010
    Just broke my second link on my 2011 Reign x1. First link was in July. As said by various others, it breaks on the climbs, not decents or drops etc. Last July it took about a month before I finally got my link from Giant - was very disappointing - and my LBS is a Giant dealer that I trust. Hopefully this time around the response time will improve. Unfortunately, from the comments posted, it doesn't look like there is any real solution that doesn't involve voiding your warranty - you just have to order another one and wait until it snaps. At least it's not a safety issue, only a PITA issue. I really love this bike, but this is unacceptable. A company like Giant should be able to resolve this issue.

mtbr member
    But for the past three years can not decide ...

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    Hey shoryuken,

Your post about installing that mystery link were great! I really appreciate all the information. So far, this is the only hopeful solution to the lower link problem that I come across. Without that cutout for the ISCG tab, I can almost guarantee that the link you installed will not break. The reason I believe this is because Iíve broken 5 links (3 2010 and 2 2011 link designs) and they have all failed right on the cutout. The left side (non drive side) which does not have a cutout, has never broken even after continuing to ride with right arm of the link fractured. Thus, your solution is the one I would like to pursue.

However, I have two questions:

Were you ever able to identify where that mystery link came from? Is it from a Reign? Faith? Is it proprietary to the Reign X?

Also, you said that the new link lowered you rear triangle. I know that pivot placement is very sensitive to the bikes handling characteristics. Moving the pivot location down could potentially affect the bikes pedaling platform and its spring rate curve. My question is, do you notice a difference in pedaling performance (bobbing in the suspension) and does the bike feel different on small bump compliance or big hits?

Let me know,

Thanks!

mtbr member
    Aug 2006
    well, from my part after riding the reign x0 for two years I found a permanent solution for this issue, a different frame, the only one I liked, had similar style, and the most important the one I could afford was a 2010 SC Nomad 2, A bit heavier, less travel 6.3", but definitely more reliable, and most of all there are no Nomad broken link threads filled with dozens of broken link tales. At the and I can say that aside from the link and the upper link bolt issues the reign is a beast, sadly I did broke links and bent a couple of bolts.

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    Hi Guys, does anyone have an email address of Giant's headquarters or some other higher up contact? I cannot seem to find any on the web. I also have a broken link and really pissed off with the way the Greek dealer is handling my case! Its been a month and they have no clue when I will get the replacement part.

banned
    Hey deemoss, not sure what the address is but i do have a spare old style link if you want it to get you up and going , just psy for the shipping and its yours

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Boy, i just read through this whole thread and now i'm really concerned, i just bought a 2011 Reign X1. Haven't even really ridden it yet... I'm going to make sure i have the updated link, but honestly i'm thinking maybe i should see if i can return the bike and get a reign 1 or something... I was stoked on the coil shocks and the paint, but now i'm rather worried...

mtbr member
    Aug 2006
    Well, at least it seems that riders are getting the guarantee links pretty easy...it`s a great bike, but after reading this, anyone should have second thoughts if getting a new reign x, I bought mine in late 2009, so didn`t have any input, people say you shouldn't `t base your decisions on the web but this is s whole different issue.

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by dorcrycrystal View Post
    Hey deemoss, not sure what the address is but i do have a spare old style link if you want it to get you up and going , just psy for the shipping and its yours
    Thanks for the offer dorcrycrystal! Having not noticed that my attempt to PM you failed due to too few posts in the forum, I though I had. So I cannot PM yet.

Could you PM me your email?

Cheers,
    Dimos

BLAH BLAH
    Mar 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by paradox11235 View Post
    Boy, i just read through this whole thread and now i'm really concerned, i just bought a 2011 Reign X1. Haven't even really ridden it yet... I'm going to make sure i have the updated link, but honestly i'm thinking maybe i should see if i can return the bike and get a reign 1 or something... I was stoked on the coil shocks and the paint, but now i'm rather worried...
    I agree its concerning, but lets be honest there are more people riding these bikes without problem than there are breaking links. I'm not saying there is not an issue with the link though.

Nock on wood....
    Whats this line for?

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 20