Page 22 of 24 FirstFirst ... 12 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Jan 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by Langdog View Post
    HOW TO INSTALL A 2008 REIGN LINK ON A 2010 REIGN X

WARNING: This post shows you how to cut/modify your frame. I am not responsible if you hurt yourself, void your warranty, or destroy your frame. PERFORM THIS MODIFICATION AT YOUR OWN RISK!!!

IMPORTANT NOTE: I am running a single chainring with an inner bashguard (BBG) setup on this bike along with a ISCG mount Blackspire Stinger Chainguide. If you plan to use a traditional chainguide or maintain your warranty, cutting the ISCG tab would probably be a dumb idea.

HERE GOES!!!

I received my new link from the Giant Dealer. It is made for a 2008 regular Reign model (yes Iím sure). I paid $55 plus shipping from Giantís warehouse in California.
    The first thing I did was check to see if my hardware fit properly. Thankfully there were no surprises and everything fit perfectly. I eyed up the geometry of the two and they are nearly exact matches as far as bolt-center distances and arch/bends.

To install I had to cut and file the ISCG tab to a point where it was nearly flush with the BB shell in order to avoid any interference with the link on top-out of the suspension travel. I used a regular hacksaw blade for the task. I also made sure to orient the teeth to cut during the push stroke to keep fragments of aluminium out of my BB cup.

A little handiwork with a file to contour the ďnubĒ for clearance and youíre set. I applied a strip of electrical tape to the link to prevent scratches from the file.

Well, it looks like I should have used a little more tape, but nonetheless, the results are shown. I would recommend applying a little nail or hobby paint to the filed area to prevent corrosion and chipping.

If you have questions, feel free to ask. I do not have the part number for the link, I simply asked my Giant dealer to order a 2010 Reign Lower Link. After checking with his contacts, my dealer said that 2008-model links were available and that Giant said it would work on a Regular Reign. Thank you Shoryuken for the original post on replacing this part. Hopefully I have cleared up any misunderstandings others have had about this fix.
    Might want to look at reinforcing the link also with some J-B Weld. It has about twice the breaking strength as aluminum used in the link and should make it stronger. Did this on Reign 1 after I snapped it on a steep climb trying to get over a boulder.

Remove the paint on the inside grove of the link and fill it in with some J-B Weld.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails The OFFICIAL "I broke my Lower Link on my 2010 Reign X" thread.-8d159095-54a7-4118-a118-4ac2e0b6c826-3311-0000025c4ed9cd49.jpg  

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    A bit of topic but has anybody had this problem with the 2011 Giant Reign 1 (not X)?

I ride light trail here in New Zealand and only noticed the issue when cleaning the bike.
    Two links have gone on either side of the weld line running down the centre of the link.

Went to pick my bike up for the 3rd attempt at replacing the link and the shop had replaced it with a white Reign X lower link without telling me first, unbelievable.
    The 2011 Reign 1 is gunmetal grey and the link they replaced the black one with is white, it looks ridiculous.

I feel bad for the shop having to deal with Giants rubbish design of the lower link, the shop has been brilliant all the way through and have now offered to find a black Reign X link for me.
    Is the Reign link the same as the Reign X link?
    If not then it will change the suspension characteristics of my Reign which is not ideal.

Trying for a full refund on the bike so I can get something else, anybody had any luck with that?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails The OFFICIAL "I broke my Lower Link on my 2010 Reign X" thread.-p1000598-copy.jpg  

The OFFICIAL "I broke my Lower Link on my 2010 Reign X" thread.-p1000613-copy.jpg  

Space Cowboy

Smile

Beautiful

Glad its worked for someone else as well.
    +1 for finding out which link we have.

Quote Originally Posted by Langdog View Post
    HOW TO INSTALL A 2008 REIGN LINK ON A 2010 REIGN X

WARNING: This post shows you how to cut/modify your frame. I am not responsible if you hurt yourself, void your warranty, or destroy your frame. PERFORM THIS MODIFICATION AT YOUR OWN RISK!!!

IMPORTANT NOTE: I am running a single chainring with an inner bashguard (BBG) setup on this bike along with a ISCG mount Blackspire Stinger Chainguide. If you plan to use a traditional chainguide or maintain your warranty, cutting the ISCG tab would probably be a dumb idea.

HERE GOES!!!

I received my new link from the Giant Dealer. It is made for a 2008 regular Reign model (yes Iím sure). I paid $55 plus shipping from Giantís warehouse in California.
    The first thing I did was check to see if my hardware fit properly. Thankfully there were no surprises and everything fit perfectly. I eyed up the geometry of the two and they are nearly exact matches as far as bolt-center distances and arch/bends.

To install I had to cut and file the ISCG tab to a point where it was nearly flush with the BB shell in order to avoid any interference with the link on top-out of the suspension travel. I used a regular hacksaw blade for the task. I also made sure to orient the teeth to cut during the push stroke to keep fragments of aluminium out of my BB cup.

A little handiwork with a file to contour the ďnubĒ for clearance and youíre set. I applied a strip of electrical tape to the link to prevent scratches from the file.

Well, it looks like I should have used a little more tape, but nonetheless, the results are shown. I would recommend applying a little nail or hobby paint to the filed area to prevent corrosion and chipping.

If you have questions, feel free to ask. I do not have the part number for the link, I simply asked my Giant dealer to order a 2010 Reign Lower Link. After checking with his contacts, my dealer said that 2008-model links were available and that Giant said it would work on a Regular Reign. Thank you Shoryuken for the original post on replacing this part. Hopefully I have cleared up any misunderstandings others have had about this fix.

Www.rvmba.org
    Feb 2009
    After 2 years I finally broke a lower link. I thought I was one of the lucky ones that would not break one. Luckily I had an extra and my LBS had another one within a week. Now Im on the fence whether or not I should get rid of this thing. I guess it could go another 2 years. But I dont know if I want to press my luck. If only bike frames were cheaper.

My Brain Hurts!
    Slightly related questiojn, the Trance 29er has a different link set up, right?
    Remember when we were kids and our Mom's said we could not play in the mud? I'm making up for it now!!

Slower But Faster
    Quote Originally Posted by ProfGumby View Post
    Slightly related questiojn, the Trance 29er has a different link set up, right?
    Well the Trance 29er has no chain guide for a start so shouldn't have the inherent stress concentration the Reign X does.

Slower But Faster
    And on a related note a riding buddy has broken one of the new (white) links. I really don't know what the answer is!

jb_
    mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by BrentD View Post
    And on a related note a riding buddy has broken one of the new (white) links. I really don't know what the answer is!
    The 2013 one like I posted earlier? That's not good because it looks like the 2013 Reign (non X) is using the same link now it has ISCG mounts.

Lucky a permanent fix for me arrived a couple weeks ago
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails The OFFICIAL "I broke my Lower Link on my 2010 Reign X" thread.-imag0004.jpg  

Slower But Faster
    Quote Originally Posted by jb_ View Post
    The 2013 one like I posted earlier? That's not good because it looks like the 2013 Reign (non X) is using the same link now it has ISCG mounts.

Yes, the new (3rd gen?) thicker link is what broke. Love the Nomad c, just needs a dropper seatpost to complete it. How do you find the RP23 on it? I haven't ridden one with the wee shock. I always thought the Nomad deserved something bigger like a DHX to be really ridden in the maner it deserves.

Fying Nun is such a sweet track too. Rode it just after Easter and had a blast, didn't get the chance for another go last weekend when I was down in Christchurch for a wedding.

jb_
    mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    Yes, the new (3rd gen?) thicker link is what broke. Love the Nomad c, just needs a dropper seatpost to complete it. How do you find the RP23 on it? I haven't ridden one with the wee shock. I always thought the Nomad deserved something bigger like a DHX to be really ridden in the maner it deserves.

Fying Nun is such a sweet track too. Rode it just after Easter and had a blast, didn't get the chance for another go last weekend when I was down in Christchurch for a wedding.
    It definitely does, especially the carbon one. It's crazy stiff. The Float CTD (new RP23) isn't ideal, but I was trying to build something light and better for pedalling. I ride pretty big and pretty hard and this shock is actually a pretty good compromise between weight and performance. I have got it pretty hot but not to the point of noticing a performance change. If I do end up cooking it regularly I'll probably try a Vivid Air. But yeah I'm happy enough with the performance for now, better than I expected. The 55s probably help too, worlds plushest fork

I have a dropper post too (Reverb), just need to get a longer hose, it was cut for my Reign X.

Hit me up if you're in chch with your bike sometime. Always looking for new people to ride and drink beer with!

May contain nuts
    On a visit earlier this year...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails The OFFICIAL "I broke my Lower Link on my 2010 Reign X" thread.-img_1942web.jpg  

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    The bike works well, so why changing it, replacing a part every 2 year which is not so expensive (around 80$) it is not that bad

jb_
    mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by bertoo View Post
    The bike works well, so why changing it, replacing a part every 2 year which is not so expensive (around 80$) it is not that bad
    Some of it is piece of mind knowing it's not going to leave me stranded somewhere, but I also had issues with the weak design of the top rocker plates. There should've been a pin keeping the plates from flexing like the 2009 and older Reign X. I kept bending/breaking my upper shock bolt because of that, even with single piece shock hardware. And I had to walk miles because of that once. I'm only 64kg, I do go fairly big but nothing that the bike shouldn't handle. I can't imagine how flimsy larger riders found the Reign X.

It just has some design oversights I wasn't happy with.

The Nomad is better designed, lighter, stiffer and stronger and has superior performance in every respect, so why not?

Slower But Faster
    Quote Originally Posted by bertoo View Post
    I agree with the piece of mind issue. It's not about the cost (and Giant are warrantying it for no charge anyway). Also, I broke three in the space of twelve months so it's a little more frequent than you say.

If I'm spending significant money travelling either within NZ or especially overseas (tickets already booked to be at Crankworx Whistler 2013) the last thing I want to have is an unreliable bike.

bacon! bacon! bacon!

If I'm spending significant money travelling either within NZ or especially overseas (tickets already booked to be at Crankworx Whistler 2013) the last thing I want to have is an unreliable bike.
    Heh. Just wait until you see how much more difficult it is to get a replacement carbon swingarm for that Nomad than a link for the Reign-X while you're in NZ or Whistler.

My Brain Hurts!

That's a good way to prevent/fix the problem. Betcha don't break that one! Sweet lookin ride....
    Remember when we were kids and our Mom's said we could not play in the mud? I'm making up for it now!!

Slower But Faster
    Quote Originally Posted by SkaredShtles View Post
    Heh. Just wait until you see how much more difficult it is to get a replacement carbon swingarm for that Nomad than a link for the Reign-X while you're in NZ or Whistler.
    I don't have a Nomad C sadly. The support in NZ for Santa Cruz is very good, they're about as common as Giant at Rotorua especially.

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    Hi guys! I just broke my Reign X0 2010 lower link days back. Can't believe that it would snap while pedalling on a concrete road. Any of you know where i can buy the 2008 Reign lower link? How much? Looks like its design is tougher than the X0 link.
    Last edited by Blackspeed; 01-08-2013 at 06:57 AM.

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    did you read something.....

mtbr member
    Jul 2010

Squeaky wheel gets the grease

After two broken links, a little b****ing, and most importantly my LBS, I have resolved the broken link issue for now. I have been sent a new 2013 reign X. Supposedly they have a new and " Improved " lower link.
    I really think everyone that has had this problem should b**ch as much as they can about the frame(Politely of course). I think Giant owes everyone a new frame just for how they handled the situation. In exchange they might regain our faith in their product. Or just sell it and buy a nomad.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails The OFFICIAL "I broke my Lower Link on my 2010 Reign X" thread.-cimg4147.jpg  

May contain nuts
    Probably too late now, but any chance you could you pop the CG off and take a few close-ups of the link? I don't think that frame has changed one bit since 2011 (and mine hasn't given me any grief at all).

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    the difference
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails The OFFICIAL "I broke my Lower Link on my 2010 Reign X" thread.-screen-shot-2013-01-13-12.20.23-pm.jpg  

May contain nuts
    Perfect thanks. That's the width dimension of the link at the ISCG mount cut-out right? Visually similar elsewhere?

Space Cowboy

Smile

Some of it is piece of mind knowing it's not going to leave me stranded somewhere, but I also had issues with the weak design of the top rocker plates. There should've been a pin keeping the plates from flexing like the 2009 and older Reign X. I kept bending/breaking my upper shock bolt because of that, even with single piece shock hardware. And I had to walk miles because of that once. I'm only 64kg, I do go fairly big but nothing that the bike shouldn't handle. I can't imagine how flimsy larger riders found the Reign X.

It just has some design oversights I wasn't happy with.

The Nomad is better designed, lighter, stiffer and stronger and has superior performance in every respect, so why not?
    Your 64kg and you think the upper shock bolt is a bad design because you bend/ BREAK (how do you break one) it?
    Im tipping the scales at 82kg with gear. I send my rear shock through hell. 3m+ drops, 35foot jumps on DH tracks, casing dirt jumps etc and its fine.

BUT i did bend one bolt!
    When i first got the bike. I was using a spring that was too soft. So I had preloaded the spring far too much. Thus i got coil bind. The shock was bottoming out onto the spring. The energy has no where to go. So it went into the bolt and bent it. Nothing huge, but noticeable when you take it out.
    This can be a problem with all frames.
    If your running a Air shock, it could be possible that you are bottoming it out to much.
    Which would be a big problem with an air shock on a high ratio frame such as the Reign X.

The Nomad is not a better bike, nor is the Reign X.
    Its a different bike. Superior performance? I like oranges over apples.

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    Well mine finally broke yesterday after driving for almost 2 hours through a hellish snow storm to get to the trails

2010 Reign X2 that I bought in 2011. I had given the bike a full check over and clean on Saturday and there was nothing wrong with it then. Got to the trails yesterday, pulled the bike out of the car and started pedalling to the trail head. After about 100 yards the bike started feeling very strange as though the tyre or wheel was loose. I stopped and checked the wheels and they were fine. Cycled another 50 yards and it still felt weird. Looked straight down and could see the broken link instantly. So it broke somewhere on a 150 yard flat tarmac cycle.

Just to check the experience of others, this is definitely covered by the warranty here in the UK? I've emailed the dealer I bought it from yesterday but I just want to be prepared in case there are any problems.

Page 22 of 24 FirstFirst ... 12 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 LastLast